Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I would never ride with a half helmet or a Modular because I know that if I flew off my bike the first thing I would land on is my chin!!!!

I agree with you Tazzel...Most accidents will have you plant that chin into a very bad place!
    But....As far as I'm concerned, a Modular is a Full Face Helmet with the ability to open the front and get a drink or speak with someone without taking it off... I wouldn't generally wear it open, unless absolutely necessary. But I like to have that ability to do so at my leisure...
    Most modular helmets will catch the wind and try to rip your head off if opened while you ride...the Shark seems to avoid that scenario.
    Last edited by NorCalBud; 11-16-2015 at 07:28 PM.
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

I have a NeoTec, an N42, and an AFX beanie, I wear the NeoTac. The only complaint I have about it is the cheek pads, I got the thinnest ones available, and parked my truck on them for 3 days, and still chew on the inside of my mouth.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think the key to buying a helmet is the return policy. I just can't believe that most can decide what fits his or her head in less than 30 mins walking around the store. I unfortunately have a "long head" (you know what they say about guys with long heads don't you?) and helmets just don't fit me well. I tried on every helmet I could find at 3 bike shops and a Cycle Gear and a Sedici (sp?) XL fit my head the best. Cycle Gear has a 7 day return on helmets so I wore it for 7 days decided to keep it then modified it for me. I took a ball peen hammer and mushed some of the foam to fit my noggin both front and back to relieve a bit of the pressure of my head being crushed in. Being 6' 4" isn't all that it's cracked up to be some days...... Other days it's nice.

also as far as modular helmets go the Sedici had the best drop down shade that goes all the way down where as some others leave an inch or as much as 1 1/2" between the bottom of the shades and the lower chin bar. Kinda messes with my vision being in a normal line of sight.

so to sum all this up make sure you buy from somewhere you can return it in case it's not all what you had hoped it to be.

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Litespeed;1061296] I unfortunately have a "long head" (you know what they say about guys with long heads don't you?) and helmets just don't fit me well.QUOTE]

I see why people with "Long Heads" have a difficult time with helmets!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

First, before you buy any helmet, try it on.

I prefer Shoei helmets because they fit me better than others. I currently have a Shoei RF-1100 and it's extremely comfortable to me. It also has a Snell rating which I want on any helmet I buy.

That being said, I've tried the new Shoei RF-1200 and it is NOT comfortable to me. However, the updated Qwest is. If I replace my helmet any time in the next year that's what I'll get.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    This will be my next helmet. The Shark Evoline 3 ST.

This is one of the best modulars out there because if it's ability to actually ride with the chin bar up.

Bob

I have this helmet and love it. Well worth the price.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default helmet

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Go to revzilla and they likely have a video like the one above on just about every helmet. That's a good site to check out any kind of motorcycle gear.
    I have looked at many of the videos and will continue. I have tried on a few and gone with a open face but want a modular or full face for safety. Wear glasses so that is a consideration. Just wanted to hear from real users. The journey continues! Thanks to all...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I have a NeoTec, an N42, and an AFX beanie, I wear the NeoTac. The only complaint I have about it is the cheek pads, I got the thinnest ones available, and parked my truck on them for 3 days, and still chew on the inside of my mouth.

john
    Gotta love the effort right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As others have said get one that fits properly. What that means is it conforms well to the shape of your head and is SNUG, even to the point of being tight and hard to pull on. Why? Because the lining tends to compress and after a few months it will fit snug but not tight. If it's not tight to start it will be loose after several months of use, and that you do not want. Even one that is tight to start will be loose after 4 to 5 years of regular use.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default helmet

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    As others have said get one that fits properly. What that means is it conforms well to the shape of your head and is SNUG, even to the point of being tight and hard to pull on. Why? Because the lining tends to compress and after a few months it will fit snug but not tight. If it's not tight to start it will be loose after several months of use, and that you do not want. Even one that is tight to start will be loose after 4 to 5 years of regular use.

Tried several on today and the Arai, Quest and HJC ... had issues with glasses, couldn't get them back on. But maybe too snug, had to really pull it on.

Just a fat headed, old guy with glasses...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Duke-Blue View Post
    ... had issues with glasses, couldn't get them back on. But maybe too snug, had to really pull it on.
    That's why I use a Nolan modular. With the chin bar up I can get it on leaving my glasses on. Then flip the chin bar down and all is hunky dory!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

If cost is not an issue. Schuberth pro C3 is the lightest, quietest, air dynamic and most air flow through it. The only place I know of who stocks them is a BMW bike store. Once you break them in very great .
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Comfort & snell. You cant enjoy riding with a clamp on your skull. Full face good for unexpected rain & bugs that dodge windshield. Modular cost little more but offer more, & if you gotta sneeze it really helps Shop around bike shops find what size & type you like, then find deal online. Keep in mind, is long term item. Removable & washable liners are a plus. Also less noted but more ear room the better. Future communication install is usually not on mind when excited bout new ride.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Just remember any Brain Bucket is better than no Brain Bucket. I prefer Arai full face. Light and fits well.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

With all due respect to the OP's collegiate affiliation, the best helmets provide great lateral support and have a big green and orange U on each side.