Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Question Rear End Collision Detection Using Wi-Fi

I was just reading the current thread concerning the Spyder that got rear ended in Houston.....with more and more rear enders occuring of course we need to pay as much attention to our mirrors as possible...while reading it the thought came to me about a rear facing camera.

Has anyone tried using a GoPro or similar video camera with a Wi-Fi set up to put the rearview on the screen of your smart phone?

I have a Spyder Cuff with a Ram Mount for my Galaxy Note 4 phone so it would be easy to see.....it would be like a "backing up" camera in a car.

It would be a pretty wide view I would think.....

Any ideas or thoughts about this is a good idea or not.....?

Spyder Garage

Would be abused quickly.
    Wifi too handy.
    More needs to done for being seen & such everyone in such a rush they dont look where they are going.
    #2651ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447521574.607930.jpg
    http://www.jccomputac.com/#2651
    Otherwise a standard drivers ed refresher every 3 years would suck but less than getting hit....... Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

How would it be abused?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    How would it be abused?
    I think he means that riders with WiFi access on-board might be tempted to fall into the same electronics abuse that causes many rear-end accidents, by distracted drivers, in the first place. If so, I would agree. Heck, the GPS display is sometimes distracting enough.

Problem I see is that if you cannot force yourself to look in your rear-view mirrors at every stop, how would looking at a camera display be any different? However, the threat you bring up is a real one. The habit that I am trying very hard to achieve, with varying amounts of success , is to check my rear view mirrors at EVERY stop.
    Last edited by robmorg; 11-14-2015 at 01:04 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I'm wondering though.... what's the difference between watching the Wi-Fi screen and watching the mirrors? Is there such a thing as watching mirrors abuse?

Maybe it'll come down to which gives a rider a better view of behind...I'm not saying it's a great idea just trying to figure out what might help us Spyder ryders not get hit from behind so much.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
    I'm wondering though.... what's the difference between watching the Wi-Fi screen and watching the mirrors? Is there such a thing as watching mirrors abuse?
    Well, you don't "watch your mirrors". You just check 'em when you are stopping. The "abuse" I think Bfomia was referring to had more to do with other distracting things you could do with WiFi on board that may cause distractions while riding.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I m may just have to give it a try and see....it should be worth trying if it can help stop someone getting hurt.

It maybe a crazy idea.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default Look at the Garmin Virb camera

Easy to operate. Not as complicated as the other brand. Install one on front behind windshield with JT's bar and ram mount and mount the other on the truck lid facing rear. Turn the front camera on and it sends a signal to the rear camera to also begin filming. Install USB power to each, install a big memory card and you can film all day. The Virb isn't as popular as the others but will do every thing that you need. Do a duck duck go search to find the Garmin website.
    2014 Pearl White RT, TriAxis handlebar, BaJaron Bar&Links, Spyderpops belt guard, bumpskid & stainless grilles, Seal Dlx boards, JT's Dash Mount, SmoothSpyder belt tensioner, HMT brake, TricFender led's, mudflap lights, air horn, Squared Away laser alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    I think he means that riders with WiFi access on-board might be tempted to fall into the same electronics abuse that causes many rear-end accidents, by distracted drivers, in the first place. If so, I would agree. Heck, the GPS display is sometimes distracting enough.

Problem I see is that if you cannot force yourself to look in your rear-view mirrors at every stop, how would looking at a camera display be any different? However, the threat you bring up is a real one. The habit that I am trying very hard to achieve, with varying amounts of success , is to check my rear view mirrors at EVERY stop.
    Thx & yes that and other ways wifi is "hacked".

Point is to be safe fyi I just received my set of wireless helmet lights today, will have pics soon here is the concept on video
    Fyi link again
    http://www.jccomputac.com

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

I agree with being just as safe as possible...it wouldn't be a case of not wearing the proper clothing or having proper lighting on as you could still do that...and it wouldn't be "watching" the Wi-Fi but glancing or looking at it just as if you were looking at the mirrors.

Wearing very bright clothes and having a lot of very bright lights may not matter at all if the driver behind you is texting and looking at their phone rather than at what is in front of them.....we can only try to be safer by doing extra to become more visible but when bad drivers don't see anything in front of them because of distraction we need to figure out how to save ourselves in-spite of their bad driving..... that's what I am trying to figure out how to do...

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    The habit that I am trying very hard to achieve, with varying amounts of success , is to check my rear view mirrors at EVERY stop.
    Fundamental, just plain fundamental, as taught in every motorcycle rider safety course. Still doesn't make it any easier to establish the habit though. We discussed rear end hits in a GWRRA meeting I was at today. Besides keeping an eye on the mirrors the general consensus was we need to make a habit of leaving escape room in front of us when stopped. I think that will be being stressed more and more these days because of the increase in distracted cagers.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

they have offered such a critter. One was built into the helmet and one was as you suggested. It would be no problem to do as you stated. Thing is what do you do if you do see someone comming up too fast..?? I like to stop to the far right with enough room to pull onto the shoulder and at least if not possible I would loose a front wheel at best...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    they have offered such a critter. One was built into the helmet and one was as you suggested. It would be no problem to do as you stated. Thing is what do you do if you do see someone comming up too fast..?? I like to stop to the far right with enough room to pull onto the shoulder and at least if not possible I would loose a front wheel at best...
    I agree.....knowing what to do ahead of time is very important....a way of escape and the time to accomplish it...if a reverse facing camera and a Wi-Fi monitor will help see the danger earlier then I'm all for it.....just not sure how much the set up will help....if at all.....

Spyder Garage

A better solution would be extreme legal penalties for texting while driving heavy fines/serious jail time/confiscation of vehicle.

The self-absorbed, arrogant s who speed down the road looking at a device screen, rather than where they are going need to be swatted down, regularly. They aren't just killing people on motorcycles - they are a threat to everyone on the road.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default This may be what you are looking for

There is a company called WWW.hi-techriders.com that sells a "ride data recording system." A little pricey at $600.00. I suppose there is a market for just about anything. Randy

Spyder Garage

Do we need yet another source of information in the cockpit to grab our attention away from the road ahead?
    Seems to me that if we are going to be rear ended then a rear facing camera will do nothing to prevent it.
    The up side is that a recording of the collision might make a great home movie...

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

A year ago (on my birthday, no less) I was sitting at a long red light in my minivan. Visible as can be, all 3 brake lights lit up like a Christmas tree. A minute into the red light, a lady slammed into my van at an angle (she realized she could not stop so she swerved, totaled her car, left a nice dent in the right rear corner of my van). I thought with horror what would have been left of me had I been on a bike. She very well might have seen the car in front of me but NOT me and the bike and I could have been history.

The moral of the story is, I wish they would allow bikes extra lighting to be visible but some great lighting devices are not legal for motorcycle use. But meanwhile, I think it wouldn't hurt to have a camera showing you what's behind the bike. Riders would just have to be disciplined to use it for its intended purpose (like at a light) and not something else... Mirrors don't always show everything behind you very well...
    2015 Spyder F3-S SM6

Very Active Member eddieshep999's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Maybe we will have the problem solved for us as car manufacturers are working on collision avoidance system which automatically apply the brakes if you get to close to objects, This is in everyone's interest Including insurance companies

It may be a few years away but just look how airbags have become standard in all vehicles
    Eddie Sheppard
    Poole Dorset UK

Get a Spyder - See the World

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sscheuer47 View Post
    Easy to operate. Not as complicated as the other brand. Install one on front behind windshield with JT's bar and ram mount and mount the other on the truck lid facing rear. Turn the front camera on and it sends a signal to the rear camera to also begin filming. Install USB power to each, install a big memory card and you can film all day. The Virb isn't as popular as the others but will do every thing that you need. Do a duck duck go search to find the Garmin website.
    I have been using the Virb Elite since lat year, used it on the trip to Spyderfest but rather expensive; add the Tempe and remote control button and the Virb will give you exactly what you need for a rear view camera since it is Wi-Fi the Virb can transmit live video to your Android Phone but don't get a phone call when in use cause your phone will lock up. The fix is use an older Android Phone without a contract.

Since I have added a K1S Dual channel Camera with Crash Avoidance however everytime someone gets to close at a stoplight the darn alarm goes off.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gldwnger View Post
    There is a company called WWW.hi-techriders.com that sells a "ride data recording system." A little pricey at $600.00. I suppose there is a market for just about anything. Randy
    Samething the K1S does except several hundred dollars less

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear end collision avoidance

My LED trunk light with programmable brake light flasher by Custom Dynamics gives me a comfort level I didn't have before I had it installed. The trunk light doesn't come on until I hit the brake (not wired as a tail light too) and the OEM brake lights are programmed to flash rapidly for two, 4 second bursts and then stay on steady until you let off and re-apply the brakes. If that doesn't get their attention, assume the position..

While on the bike, I pay extra close attention to my mirrors when coming to a stop to see who is there and how close they are. I never brake quickly when approaching an intersection and the light turns yellow (not red)if I have someone close behind me. I always continue through the intersection (where I may have stopped with the truck.) I assume the guy behind me isn't paying attention..

I never creep ahead when stopped in a line of traffic, especially when making a right turn in traffic. I don't want anyone thinking I left and hitting me while they are looking over their shoulder.

Small investment for the light compared to being hit from behind and it looks good too. Use common sense, be aware and hope for the best!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Fundamental, just plain fundamental, as taught in every motorcycle rider safety course. Still doesn't make it any easier to establish the habit though. We discussed rear end hits in a GWRRA meeting I was at today. Besides keeping an eye on the mirrors the general consensus was we need to make a habit of leaving escape room in front of us when stopped.
    Technology won't save your butt; the use of your own senses might...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Maybe we will have the problem solved for us as car manufacturers are working on collision avoidance system which automatically apply the brakes if you get to close to objects, This is in everyone's interest Including insurance companies

It may be a few years away but just look how airbags have become standard in all vehicles
    Collision Advoidance is live now. I rented a Suburban when I was out in western WA over Halloween. Had to ferry 7 to 8 adults and the "Burban" worked well, giving me Lane Assist and Front Collsion Advoidance. The front will flash 5 red LEDs in your face to get your attention if the vehicle in front of you slows down quickly or is stopped. If you change lanes (or drift) without using your turn signal, the butt thumper give you a few jabs on the offending side.

I did have one miss identification from it when a pickup with led lighting passed us in the rain. The system flashed the lights and applied the brakes for a moment. It recovered but I did not as my passengers kept quoting Men in Black (don't flashy me with that thing...).
    "If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Spyder Garage

This needs to be operational & "live"ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447817411.596491.jpg fyi mounts to trailer hitch receiver

minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    SENA 20S EVO

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    This needs to be operational & "live"ImageUploadedByTapatalk1447817411.596491.jpg fyi mounts to trailer hitch receiver

Now that's funny; a bit extreme tho.