Thread: Clutch Problem

Spyder Garage

Default Clutch Problem

My clutch on my 2012 Spyder RT SM5 is acting up. After the bike warms up and depressing the clutch lever at a fully stop. The bike wants to creep forward and when I release the clutch the bike dies. It is like it loses pressure. I have check the fluid is still good. Has anybody experienced this issue?

Spyder Garage

Default Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
    My clutch on my 2012 Spyder RT SM5 is acting up. After the bike warms up and depressing the clutch lever at a fully stop. The bike wants to creep forward and when I release the clutch the bike dies. It is like it loses pressure. I have check the fluid is still good. Has anybody experienced this issue?
    Clutch Slave Cyl. In clutch basket need rebuilding or replaced....
    Also you might try bleeding clutch system first...

Freebob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A little better description of your symptoms would help. What do you mean by the fluid is "good"? Do you mean the level is OK? Is is clear or is it black and cloudy? Is it hard to engage first gear when stopped? In any event, Freebob is probably on the right track in that your slave cylinder is acting up. First step is bleeding the system which may solve the problem. If not, then the slave cylinder probably needs rebuilt with all new o-rings and a very careful check for scoring or damage in the bore. It was not uncommon for the 998's to have the o-rings go bad. I had to have mine rebuilt twice in 40K miles. I'd get it looked at or work on it quickly. If the o-rings fail totally, you'll be stranded.

There is a TSB out for the tech's on revised procedures to follow when rebuilding the cylinder to help insure everything is lined up properly when it's put together. The clearances are very tight. If the piston is not aligned properly, it will score the cylinder and you'll shortly be right back where you are now.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

Have the same model with 32,000 hard miles but ryden all year and all is well. I do flush the system and may be all you need. If that does not cure the problem pull the slave cylinder might need rebuilding.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black