Spyder Garage

Default Do upgraded shocks on the f3's make a significant difference for noral street riding

I'm familar with track racing shocks but I was curious if upgrades made a significant inprovement on a surface 'street or freeway riding with occassional bumps & small irregular surfaces; I have the 2015 F3's.

Shock mfg's & model# for F3's & is the rear shock upgrade as noticeable as the front shock upgrades..
    Thank you kindly for your experienced feedback. I know how to spell "normal", my fingers don't:-(
    Darrell
    Last edited by Wildrice; 11-07-2015 at 08:20 PM.
    2015 F3's , two 12 volt power outlets Orange & Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Depends on what one calls normal....and how big a person one is. I'm 5'10" and 170#. I felt the rear shock was too soft and it was also non-adjustable for preload. The front shocks gain adjustable damping although it is rebound damping only. I also have the stock RT torsion bar in place of the stock F3 bar.

You will find strong opinion of Fox vs Elka. I went with the Fox all around. The ride is very flat in corners, allowing for more precision in the corners. Does it ride better? Probably a bit stiffer than stock. The rear definitely rides better.

My better half has an ST Ltd which weighs about the same as my F3S. The ST also has a BajaRon torsion bar on it. Comparing the two and allowing for the different seating position, my set up allows for more independent wheel response to single sided bumps but flatter through corners. The rear is a much smoother ride, firmly absorbing impact but not harsh.

Wayne
    Last edited by pauly1; 11-08-2015 at 01:30 AM.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrice View Post
    I'm familar with track racing shocks but I was curious if upgrades made a significant inprovement on a surface 'street or freeway riding with occassional bumps & small irregular surfaces; I have the 2015 F3's.

Shock mfg's & model# for F3's & is the rear shock upgrade as noticeable as the front shock upgrades..
    Thank you kindly for your experienced feedback. I know how to spell "normal", my fingers don't:-(
    Darrell
    I did order a elka SHock for the rear makes a nice ride
    joe

Spyder Garage

I had no issues with the stock shocks but when I talked to Len from Pittbull Powersports and told him what I'll be doing with my F3s he suggested Elkas.. I just finished installing them on Friday n went for an 80 mi ride this morning.. The Spyder is a lot flatter in the turns n the rear shock delivers a smoother ride on stutter bumps than the stock rear... I'm very pleased so far n can't wait to take the wifey for a ride but she has a broken foot right now.. I have the stage two and the rear w the remote hyd preload... Changing the loading of the bike for just riding around town to loading up for a loooooong ride w wifey n loaded luggage necessitated that option for me...

Spyder Garage

Hi Darrell,

the he oem rear shock is garbage as it is so under sprung, it can barely hold its own weight... Why Mother BRP and other manufacturers cheap out on such a vital part that so closely affects a riders experience and opinion amazes me...

Call Elka and have them build you a shock based on your weight and riding style and you will have a new machine and you kidneys and lower back will thank you...

Mark
    Bullies are sad pathetic People

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default shocks

Quote Originally Posted by pauly1 View Post
    Depends on what one calls normal....and how big a person one is. I'm 5'10" and 170#. I felt the rear shock was too soft and it was also non-adjustable for preload. The front shocks gain adjustable damping although it is rebound damping only. I also have the stock RT torsion bar in place of the stock F3 bar.

You will find strong opinion of Fox vs Elka. I went with the Fox all around. The ride is very flat in corners, allowing for more precision in the corners. Does it ride better? Probably a bit stiffer than stock. The rear definitely rides better.

My better half has an ST Ltd which weighs about the same as my F3S. The ST also has a BajaRon torsion bar on it. Comparing the two and allowing for the different seating position, my set up allows for more independent wheel response to single sided bumps but flatter through corners. The rear is a much smoother ride, firmly absorbing impact but not harsh.

Wayne
    Hi Wayne

Would the Spyder RS rear shock be different to the F3 shock in the rear?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RS is a significantly lighter than the F3, approximately 75#, so at minimum the spring would be too light. The RS shock has a cam-adjustable spring tension but not damping (at least on the 2008 through 2010 models with which I am familiar). Because of that difference I've not even looked at doing a swap or comparison.

Wayne
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    I had no issues with the stock shocks but when I talked to Len from Pittbull Powersports and told him what I'll be doing with my F3s he suggested Elkas.. I just finished installing them on Friday n went for an 80 mi ride this morning.. The Spyder is a lot flatter in the turns n the rear shock delivers a smoother ride on stutter bumps than the stock rear... I'm very pleased so far n can't wait to take the wifey for a ride but she has a broken foot right now.. I have the stage two and the rear w the remote hyd preload... Changing the loading of the bike for just riding around town to loading up for a loooooong ride w wifey n loaded luggage necessitated that option for me...
    Which stage elkas did you go with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2015 F3-S
    Bone stock for now