Spyder Garage

Default Limp mode - Scarey and a little dangerous

I had a bad experience with my 2010 RT going into "limp mode". I was in the turn lane and accelerating on to a 55 mph highway. Behind me was a line of cars also accelerating to highway speed. My trike suddenly stopped accelerating and slowed. Fortunately for me, the cars behind hit brakes hard enough not to hit me. I got several horns and several salutes, some single finger as they got around me. My heart was racing, you get no warning and you just lose power. I understand there are some safety reasons to go into "limp mode", but a couple of things, BRP could do. At a minimum the turn signals should start flashing to notify other drivers that something happened. Secondly, in my case it was the loss of ABS brakes (not the loss of brakes) and should be a warning indicator and not an immediate "limp mode". Dealer told me it was OK to drive to him for repair. My thought is if it is OK, then give a flashing orange screen for a minute so we can get off the road safely. Just my opinion. Any thoughts?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaBull View Post
    I had a bad experience with my 2010 RT going into "limp mode". I was in the turn lane and accelerating on to a 55 mph highway. Behind me was a line of cars also accelerating to highway speed. My trike suddenly stopped accelerating and slowed. Fortunately for me, the cars behind hit brakes hard enough not to hit me. I got several horns and several salutes, some single finger as they got around me. My heart was racing, you get no warning and you just lose power. I understand there are some safety reasons to go into "limp mode", but a couple of things, BRP could do. At a minimum the turn signals should start flashing to notify other drivers that something happened. Secondly, in my case it was the loss of ABS brakes (not the loss of brakes) and should be a warning indicator and not an immediate "limp mode". Dealer told me it was OK to drive to him for repair. My thought is if it is OK, then give a flashing orange screen for a minute so we can get off the road safely. Just my opinion. Any thoughts?
    I agree. Humming along on my new 2011 RT-S on a busy highway and it slows to 30-35 or so....I knew about limp mode but was not sure what would happen if it went in the mode. I was by a service station and pulled in quickly. It said "take to dealer" or something like that....I am 75+ miles from a dealer....I went in to the bathroom, came out and put the key in and it started and ran with no problem....I had been riding the brake....unknown to me. Point is, it was not safe for me to be in that situation....warning screen...okay, but don't slow the Spyder in an unsafe manner.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

I agree 100%. I had exact same thing happen to me on my 09 a short while ago.Could have been a very serious situation if it happens to a newer rider.There should be more of a warning system in place,especially when problem is fairly minor. Myself, I've had bikes for over 30yrs and has seen and expect just about anything.
    I managed to turn around and had a relatively short ride back to the dealer I had passed about 15mins earlier. Turns out it was a brake switch failure that sent the bike into limp mode.
    Imagine that! A brake switch sent a "abs failure/ check Dpm code.First and only time I didn't mind being stuck in traffic.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All of you need to make sure that your computers have been updated to the current Limp Mode settings. Limp Mode no longer slams on the brakes but it instead limits your rpm but if you haven't had your Spyder serviced in a long time you are still in the old setting. I believe that the change was made sometime in 2013 but I saw a 2011 Spyder yesterday that was not updated and a 2012 RT last week. The sad thing on the 2012 is that it was purchased new in 2015 and the dealer didn't bother to update it before delivery.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    All of you need to make sure that your computers have been updated to the current Limp Mode settings. Limp Mode no longer slams on the brakes but it instead limits your rpm but if you haven't had your Spyder serviced in a long time you are still in the old setting. I believe that the change was made sometime in 2013 but I saw a 2011 Spyder yesterday that was not updated and a 2012 RT last week. The sad thing on the 2012 is that it was purchased new in 2015 and the dealer didn't bother to update it before delivery.
    Limiting the power is about the same as brakes you don't have enough power to get over 30 to 35 mph I've never heard of a spyder applying brakes even in the beginning pre update are you sure about the brake thing mine hasn't been plugged in at a dealer since 2009 an ive had limp home mode just rpm limit never applied brakes
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

I agree that we should make sure we are updated to the latest software settings. But my spyder did not put on the brakes, it just stopped accelerating in the acceleration lane with traffic right behind it. "Limp mode" gave no warning to me or any visible signals to the drivers behind me. Secondly if the dealer says ok to drive to him, then give the rider a warning so he can safely get off the road. Stop accelerating in certain situations is dangerous. I was fortunate not to get run over by drivers behind me. And I don't blame them for being upset. Turning on the flashers would help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaBull View Post
    I agree that we should make sure we are updated to the latest software settings. But my spyder did not put on the brakes, it just stopped accelerating in the acceleration lane with traffic right behind it. "Limp mode" gave no warning to me or any visible signals to the drivers behind me. Secondly if the dealer says ok to drive to him, then give the rider a warning so he can safely get off the road. Stop accelerating in certain situations is dangerous. I was fortunate not to get run over by drivers behind me. And I don't blame them for being upset. Turning on the flashers would help.
    I don't mean that it literally put the brakes on but it certainly felt that way. The way it works now you can maintain highway speeds in Limp Mode. I haven't gone into it on my 14 but my 13 would go into Limp Mode quite often. I don't remember anymore what the rpm limit was but I think it was 5,000 on the 998. So if you went into limp mode as long as you shifted early, at low rpm you could get up to speed.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Limb mode

You can not update the 2010 , it only on 2011 and up

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ronsam View Post
    You can not update the 2010 , it only on 2011 and up
    You are correct! I thought it was all of the models but it is only 11 & 12. Here is a screen shot of the BUDS read out if you haven't been updated
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

You are correct! I thought it was all of the models but it is only 11 & 12. Here is a screen shot of the BUDS read out if you haven't been updated
    My 08 would get up to about 50 if you shifted up to 5th gear pretty quick. You have to keep it right under or the thing starts doing that bucking motion that i would think does more harm to the engine than any fault could. I think the limp home mode should be restricted to engine is going to blow up scenarios. In reading this i see where it says non CARB complient vehicles, is there a california and non california version of the spyder? i thought they were all up to CA smog requirements?
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

If bike goes to limp mode yes it would make sense the hazards would defalt on but BRP seems to think that if you read & follow instructionson saftey card you will never need limp mode so........why have a limp mode? Let the lawyersfig it all out. Glad you safe & able to share the warning. Hope no more troubles

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What codes did your bike throw at you?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-04-2015 at 08:29 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Sorry Bob I can't find where I wrote down codes that were shown on the display. Will have to check with dealer for codes. I had an orange screen saying ABS fault. Dealer replaced module for ABS brakes. i can check with him tomorrow.

Spyder Garage

Yes, Spiderann01 is right. But I had my 2012 RT-L serial no. checked twice for outstanding recalls or codes by my selling dealer before leaving for Alaska and was advised there were no updates to be done. When I was on the Alaska trip the dealer in Eagle Alaska checked and advised me of two outstanding updates and did them, one was this recall. You cannot always trust the dealers to do them.
    Roger
    2012 RT Limited
    Vertika Floor boards
    Painted rear fender & dash
    Carbon fiber panels
    Utopia back rest
    Baker air wings
    Elka shocks and relocaters
    CB radio
    ISO hand grips
    Tric LED fender light
    Turn signal lights in mirrors

Spyder Garage

Cool 2012 RT Limited

Thanks Ann. I will have our 2012 RT checked at next oil change. If it's been updated, my dealer didn't mention it.