Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: haggling

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default haggling

I know you can haggle most dealerships, but I've been reading post online where dealerships aren't budging on can-am spyder prices. now I'm not planning on haggling them out of money(except if i can lol) but is it possible to haggle them and or get a good deal included in the final price, and how much have some of you been able to get taken off of the out of door price. thank you.

Spyder Garage

I went to my dealer with some prices I got online within reasonable driving distance. I was able to get quite a bit knocked off to get real close to those online numbers. I told the local dealer that convenience was worth some money to me also.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L
    2014 ST Limited , Silver Platinum Satin

Spyder Garage

Demo units best bet. Get last yr model left over. Snagged my 13 as late as May 14 no haggle needed & all recall wrk was already done. Good for me & @right price.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2 dealers would not come down. Had to drive 120 miles to get 3k off. Worth the drive and same dealer gave me 1k more for my Spyder trade. This was a purchase of an F3 in June of 2015 so it was not the best time to purchase at the start of the biking season. I think there are better deals out there now.

Spyder Garage

It's not always about beating them up for the lowest price. You can also negotiate for value added items. Free first service, extended warranty, farkles, etc.
    I traveled 140 miles to purchase my Spyder after negotiating via telephone and email. I ended up with a combination of good price, and a pocket full of value added.

Also, don't believe the myth that if you buy away from your local market the local dealers won't provide service. That's total bunk. Parts and Service are major profit centers for any dealership, and they aren't going to turn away your business just because you purchased elsewhere.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

There are a lot of things to consider when "haggling."

The end result of the process is the bottom line you end up paying for the . The MSRP, the trade in, extra warranties, financing rate, accessories, service. None of these items have prices set in stone and all can and should be negotiated independently. You might pay "full price" on one thing, but way less on others. The trade in is also just a number.

Dealers that say the price is in cement, have brains made out of the same material. Avoid them like the plague that they are.

Do your research before you go to the dealer and have all the numbers in mind.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Active Member CarolinaSpyderRyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default What's the MSRP on an RSS SE5?

After all was said and done I paid approximately $16,000 For my 2014 RSS SE5, with 1 year of B.E.S.T, first service free and my Gmax 67 S helmet. It had 0.0 miles on it.
    2014 RSS , Sunburst Yellow and Steel Black Metallic

Spyder Garage

Default Negotiations

Always see if there is room in the deal. There normally is! Do your homework before you go, and be ready to pull the trigger, or, walk. I had offered 4k less than asking price, as they refused. Walked. Got on the freeway, they called by the time we got to the first exit. Turned around, got my price! See what others have paid, know the market.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post

Also, don't believe the myth that if you buy away from your local market the local dealers won't provide service. That's total bunk. Parts and Service are major profit centers for any dealership, and they aren't going to turn away your business just because you purchased elsewhere.

Pam
    This is true, they will service it. But..., you'll be put on the back burner when it comes time to get service, repairs, warranty work or recalls done. The loyal customers will get the preferential treatment.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

The local dealer, four miles from home, wouldn't budge even at the end of a MY so my real dealer is 90 miles away but I got a very good deal, enjoy the ride and the service is great.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default Haggling

When my wife was ready to buy we went to the local dealer. They had a mix of '14 and '15 RT's and '14 ST's. We also checked a number of places around Texas. Then went back local. The closest they could get to Louis Powersports was $4000 more for a year older model. Louis Powersports also came down off the extended warranty. I was leery of dealing only through the internet and phone calls, but I asked for a VIN early because I couldn't believe the price was so much lower than everyone else. I also had my credit union draft the letter that said payment would go through on Monday, just to make sure I had time to cancel the arrangement if anything was hinky. Everything was as promised. I am assuming that if the local came down to match Louis' price they would lose money, I don't know. I don't want anyone to not make money on a deal, but $4K is a big difference. As long as the service is good, the local dealer will get all the maintenance done, though.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GearHd View Post
    This is true, they will service it. But..., you'll be put on the back burner when it comes time to get service, repairs, warranty work or recalls done. The loyal customers will get the preferential treatment.
    You've been listening to too many salesmen

Regular parts and service customers are loyal customers too. And good service experience can bring a customer back to the showroom for the next potential purchase. I have had service performed on all my bikes and countless cars at dealerships other than where I've purchased them, and not once have a had an issue being put on "The back burner" because I didn't purchase there. If that ever did happen, I'd take my business elsewhere.

Salesmen are trained to use that tactic when trying to close the sale. Get your best deal, wherever it may be, and don't worry about getting service.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd rather buy from a dealer that give quality service after the sale...
    A cheap price and get REALLY expensive, if you need help, and it isn't there!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 11-06-2015 at 08:44 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Ahh, I'd like to say your right but I worked in a motorcycle service department for years and saw the preferential treatment first hand. It exists, whether it's at every or most dealerships I can't really answer that. During the busy months we'd have a 2-3 week back log. If you bought your bike there we'd do our best to bump you through the pack. If you bought somewhere else you'd go to the end of the line.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L

Spyder Garage

Ahh, I'd like to say your right but I worked in a motorcycle service department for years and saw the preferential treatment first hand. It exists, whether it's at every or most dealerships I can't really answer that. During the busy months we'd have a 2-3 week back log. If you bought your bike there we'd do our best to bump you through the pack. If you bought somewhere else you'd go to the end of the line.
    I know that happens, but IMHO, that's a fairly anal attitude for a dealer to take. I'd expect most dealers do not do that. As Pam said, service and parts customers can be very loyal customers also. Automobile dealers aren't that way. The service department just sees you as a "customer" and generally doesn't care where you bought your car.

That said, there is generally a way to get a fair price at any dealer, regardless of what the salesman tells you. I've bought many vehicles over the years. Like others have said, do your homework first, and come armed with both your the numbers and your negotiating points. It often takes more than one visit to the dealer. I'm always very polite but insistent. Many times I've had to negotiate directly with the dealership owner to get the price I've wanted.
    Last edited by robmorg; 11-02-2015 at 09:47 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

My 14 was 2k down from BRP in March of 2015. Great to have the complete dealer. Feel lucky as one reads the nightmares here.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Oh everyone got service, just not preferential treatment. Our service department was super busy and like I said, 2-3 week back log was the norm. If you bought elsewhere you waited the full 2-3 weeks where if you bought from us we did our best to squeeze you in. With 2-3 weeks back log we weren't concerned if a non loyal customer went elsewhere.
    Wife has a 2014 ST-L

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Shootinjimster View Post
    When my wife was ready to buy we went to the local dealer. They had a mix of '14 and '15 RT's and '14 ST's. We also checked a number of places around Texas. Then went back local. The closest they could get to Louis Powersports was $4000 more for a year older model. Louis Powersports also came down off the extended warranty. I was leery of dealing only through the internet and phone calls, but I asked for a VIN early because I couldn't believe the price was so much lower than everyone else. I also had my credit union draft the letter that said payment would go through on Monday, just to make sure I had time to cancel the arrangement if anything was hinky. Everything was as promised. I am assuming that if the local came down to match Louis' price they would lose money, I don't know. I don't want anyone to not make money on a deal, but $4K is a big difference. As long as the service is good, the local dealer will get all the maintenance done, though.
    I had almost this exact experience with Louis Powersports, except I had to have the bike shipped all the way to N.C.. I called my 3 local dealers (one was a sponsor here) and told them what I could get the bike for in Texas. I said I would pay that price, plus $1000 to keep the sale local and save on shipping. One lied and said he could, but then backed out. The second said he couldn't get that bike, but tried to sell me another at an unreal price. And the third (the local sponsor), told me he didn't have the bike(when he did), and then finally said he couldn't make the deal. After my purchase, I contacted the last 2 dealers, but the second one has done all my service and some of my upgrades. He has been great, and always makes me feel like priority number one. Going to take it in for my second service call this week.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    Always see if there is room in the deal. There normally is! Do your homework before you go, and be ready to pull the trigger, or, walk. I had offered 4k less than asking price, as they refused. Walked. Got on the freeway, they called by the time we got to the first exit. Turned around, got my price! See what others have paid, know the market.
    Yes Yes Yes, if your price is fair and they don't want your money, then walk. Dealers do not want you going somewhere else, but do need to make some money.

Spyder Garage

Regular parts and service customers are loyal customers too. And good service experience can bring a customer back to the showroom for the next potential purchase. I have had service performed on all my bikes and countless cars at dealerships other than where I've purchased them, and not once have a had an issue being put on "The back burner" because I didn't purchase there. If that ever did happen, I'd take my business elsewhere.

Salesmen are trained to use that tactic when trying to close the sale. Get your best deal, wherever it may be, and don't worry about getting service.

Pam
    The local dealer here, and we did not buy from them, every time I inquired about warranty, the first question is did you buy it here and when told no, they get an attitude. Maybe the sales team attitude was why we didn't buy from them also. They are horrible to deal with for parts also. My warranty dealer will be 2.5 hours away, compared to local that is 15 minutes. Fortunately I do all the work so far.

Spyder Garage

Agree, I have worked in a dealership also. It was a good shop and very fair, but still a business. Luckily we had 5 very good techs so the back logs were not too bad. Regardless, it still would happen where those that bought from us were given preference over others. I will say it made it easy to obtain repeat customers each year or every few years.

I knew this when we bought our Spyder. But I also knew the local dealership overall attitude towards Spyders. No matter to me. Our glove box has business cards from the dealer 2.5 hours away. If people ask about buying I tell them about local and tell them about the other guys as I hand them a card.

Spyder Garage

I stayed local. Got a good deal on the Spyder. I get preferred service as I bought the Spyder there. You will go to the end of the line if you didn't buy from them. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by charliblaze View Post
    I know you can haggle most dealerships, but I've been reading post online where dealerships aren't budging on can-am spyder prices. now I'm not planning on haggling them out of money(except if i can lol) but is it possible to haggle them and or get a good deal included in the final price, and how much have some of you been able to get taken off of the out of door price. thank you.
    Being in Jacksonville, I would without hesitation visit Central Florida Powersports, and also consider talking with Route 1 motorsports.

We bought from Ride Now in Ocala unexpectedly. Our first sales guy was horrible and dumb. The guy that sold us a machine was the former service writer, had a good attitude and the knew the vehicle well. The rest of team was mixed. The guy that serviced it was cool and did fine, the parts folks were great. The finance and sales manager lacked people skills. And for all the hype and phone call surveys it was simple fluff.

Find your deal and ride the wheels off it. This is a great time to ride here in Florida.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Shopping around for service is another good way to save money. My local dealer in Denver is twice as much for routine maintenance service charges then a dealer 2 hours away. The Denver dealer does haggle on price. Gives you squat for trade value, and their service prices are outrageous. A servers that should take 2 hours, they push it out to 3.5 hours just to squeeze a little more out of their "loyal customers". Some Dealers think they are still the only game around.

Spyder Garage

Default I Agree

Pam
    Get the best deal and if it's out of town, adventure awaits on the trip home. In the last 14 years, I've purchased motorcycles and cars in Corinth, MS; Little Rock, Arkansas; Tulsa, OK; Parrish, FL; Colorado Springs, CO; and Charlotte, NC. Also purchased a GMC Sierra, Subaru Forester, GL1800, and KLR650 locally because they would get very close to matching internet prices. Looking at Can-AM labor prices, I suspect they aren't too picky about their customers, but that might not be true in some areas.

-Bill
    2019 Black F3-T