Spyder Garage

Default Your Input Needed

A friend of mine who is 81 years young has decided he is too old to continue to ride his two wheeled bike and has been shopping around for a Spyder. He has found a 2013 leftover RS-S SE5 at a decent price. He has asked for my input but since I own a 2011 RT there not much I can tell him about the 2013 except that some models had a heat issue. Are there any other inherent problems he should know about? Thanks for any input.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the recall for that 2013 was completed; it could sure prove to be a very comfortable and reliable ride!
    (It'll have the black hood scoops added to it; replacing the lower air deflectors, that were just under the mirrors...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Go for it...

that model was not the one most affected but there were remedies applied. Either way he is getting a good unit and will enjoy it.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I just received an email and it seems the $13,000he was quoted earlier was a mistake. When he went to buy it they jacked the price $2000. He wound up putting some money on a 2009. Got a good deal with 3 years warranty and a new rear tire. 6800 miles. Raining here today so probably won't be able to test ride until next week. Thanks to all for the input.

Spyder Garage

Well, he should like that one too. And I'd bet he got a great deal on it. Before he buys, he should ask the dealer to run a service report on it from BRP (based on the serial number) to insure that all of the warranty bulletins have been performed. That costs the dealer nothing and they should be glad to do it. They should also be willing to perform any warranty items that may have been missed for free.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sccar View Post
    I would recommend a test ride. I am not sure how comfortable we would be on a RS-S at 81.
    Age is not what you see in a mirror but how you feel within. I am 3 years from being 81 myself and I'm happy that I feel years younger than I look. My wife and I take holiday trips on our RT and enjoy much of what life has to offer. How others see us is down to them but we make sure the opinions of younger folks are not allowed to get in the way of what we do or how we do it.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sccar View Post
    I think you miss understood my point..... There is no issue with his age and riding. My hope is that when and if I get to that age is that I can still ride. You have a RT and he is looking at an RSS. I had a RSS and after an hour of riding I started feeling uncomfortable.

Have a great day and ride safe
    I'm 70 and ride a 2011 RS S with stock pegs, seat, and bars. In fact, a few weeks ago rode it 2-up for about 8 hours stopping only for gas and snacks. And I am still able to function.

Spyder Garage

Glad to see it worked out. Dealer changing price by $2K is something that I would have looked at as a red flag. Glad he found one that may be suitable at a lesser price.

Age--IMO--should not be a factor in ride/not ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sounds like the dealer tried to pull a fast one on him. Hopefully the 09 works out, and hopefully they'll treat him honestly. Kinda shifty changing the price like that on the '13. All that matter is that HE is happy with the deal.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MZEMS2 View Post
    Sounds like the dealer tried to pull a fast one on him. Hopefully the 09 works out, and hopefully they'll treat him honestly. Kinda shifty changing the price like that on the '13. All that matter is that HE is happy with the deal.
    The way he explained it to me was they had quoted a manual shift and this swas an auto. He was satisfied.

Spyder Garage

unless his knees are in great shape, I wouldn't think the rss was for him!!

Spyder Garage

I be 82 and ride a 2010 RSS and have no problem with it. I ride about 12,000 miles a year, ( not all that much but still a good amount I think.) Have had it for 3 years so its not a new thing. All I had to add to it is the handle bar extensions so don't have to lean forward so much. Like I heard "ride it like you stole it" and have a great time.