Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Go Pro Cameras

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Go Pro Cameras

HI Guys!
    "A little Birdie" told me that I just might be getting one of these cameras for Christmas...
    Nothing fancy: just the most basic model.
    (I didn't think that I had even been CLOSE, to being that good this year! )
    Since I now have to figure out a whole lot about them; I need advice!
    Where and how do you mount them?
    They mention Micro SD cards for getting the right amount of storage capacity... Is 32 Gb enough?
    Do they come with software, or is that an "Optional: at extra cost" sort of thing?
    Does the software allow you to take a huge chunk of video, and edit it down to manageable-sized pieces?

Thanks!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't take Santa for granted, Bob. You still have a couple months to be bad!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I have been thinking of getting a camera. Just for the safety aspects. There are a lot of wackos out there and it would be good to have it on film if something ever happened while on the bike. Great evidence in court.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Don't take Santa for granted, Bob. You still have a couple months to be bad!
    I know...

Paul,
    Thanks for the information!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Congratulation. If possible get one with remote control. Gives you more options on where to mount it. That way you don't have to have it within reach to turn on or off. I've got a SOO COO 60 coming this week. Another toy to play with. That's why they call it second childhood. Mount it on your helmet and watch peoples reaction when you walk up to talk to them.

Spyder Garage

A few tips from my GoPro days:

1. IMHO, there's no great spot to mount the GoPro on the Spyder itself that doesn't get terminal vibration, so you're stuck wearing it.

2. The best footage from a helmet mount comes from the chin bar first, side second, and top last (up top you just lose all sensation of speed, I find). Trouble is, a lot of helmets have curves and lips in odd places that preclude mounting the camera in the best places. YMMV.

3. The best footage IME actually comes from a chest harness, it's a great height to catch the feeling of speed. It'll only record forward, however, and you'll be recording through the windshield which some folks don't like.

4. 32 gig is plenty-- you'll kill the battery long before you fill the card. Which is also why I recommend buying a spare battery.

5. If you wear earplugs, you'll likely never hear the beeps when you turn the camera on and off, which is why I turn mine on before I get on the bike, facing the mirror so I can see it working.

FYI, related-- I just got myself a Sena 10C, which is their Bluetooth/camera combo. Footage is pretty good, although there are some annoying quirks that need to be ironed out in a next generation. Plus, it absolutely burns through battery life so you're only recording video in snippets if you want to keep on talking through a long ride. But it's just about the perfect commuter camera, it's small and always mounted.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Default How nice...!!

Have one and even made a couple videos but have close to no knowledge about it. Manuals are online so good place to start. Mounting can be from your helmet to mirad of body parts including your better half holding it on a selfie stick.... have fun with the research...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Where and how do you mount them?
    I know there are those who feel that the helmet is the best place. I agree that there are advantages but for me, the head movement during playback made me look away. I have tried various mounting locations and types. In the end, I use the adhesive mounts that come with the camera and just stick them to the bike. If you need to remove them, I use a heat gun and carefully heat the mount and peel it off. I previously wrote about my GoPro mounting here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ighlight=gopro

They mention Micro SD cards for getting the right amount of storage capacity... Is 32 Gb enough?
    Should be fine but how much recording time you get depends on the quality setting - higher quality, less recording time. Also, don't "just" look at the size of the card. How fast the card is rated is also important. Check the card requirements for the specific camera Santa is bringing you. I had problems because I failed to recognize this detail. The card I put in my GoPro was not fast enough for the camera.

Do they come with software, or is that an "Optional: at extra cost" sort of thing?
    GoPro's editing software is free. It's basic but it gets the job done.

Does the software allow you to take a huge chunk of video, and edit it down to manageable-sized pieces?
    Depending on how long your ride is, the camera will segment the ride into multiple files. Then in the software, you will import your files and edit the video.

I didn't think that I had even been CLOSE, to being that good this year!
    Guess your "snow-job" worked on Santa - Nice work. Congratulations.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Dave
    Life is too short not to enjoy the toys.

2014 RT Limited
    , White
    Tri-Axis Handlebars
    Zumo 590
    BRP CB Radio
    BajaRon Anti-Swaybar
    Russell Day-Long Seat
    RIVCO Flag Holders

Other Rydes:
    Segway X2

Past Rydes:
    Honda Helix
    Honda Shadow
    Piaggio MP3
    Kawasaki Vulcan
    2009 Suzuki Burgman Executive 650

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Bob, truth be told, the recreation street mot arena is kind of new to this stuff.

If you hit up MTBR.com they have an entire topic section on all sorts of various ways, techniques, mounts and craziness tricks to capture incredible footage.

As an example, some mountings may work best with the camera inverted. So you make the recording inverted then using the editing software flip it to right side up...all because the camera mounting was not able to work how we logically would expect.

http://forums.mtbr.com/videos-pov-cameras/

Weed through the videos posted there but use them for mount position ideas. There are a bunch of technical discussions also. Some of those posting there are pretty well rounded geniuses when it comes to getting good shots.

The one downside I do not like of the videos we have, it takes time to edit and really build a good one. My recent Isle Of Man link was probably the best video captures I have ever seen and now I will use that as a lesson to try new stuff.

PK
    I use a Drift camera. It comes with a remote control, and the lens can be rotated through 300° so you can mount it pretty much anywhere you want and still get good photos.

It's small, lightweight, and takes stills or video
    It also helps if you have a hottie to take pictures of.
    I also have a mount for my motorcycle helmet
    Just my opinion, I could be wrong, and I'm CERTAIN someone on this forum will tell me about it.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Bob, I am sure you have seen a few of my riding videos.

My opinion is chin bar mounted. It looks where you look and no vibration issues.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Bob!
    I'm glad that you saw this, and decided to help pour some information into the "Punkin' Head" of mine...
    Since I don't have any Bluetooth setup to use; how does this limit capabilities with these cameras? If it's mounted to my chinbar; do they offer a mic that I can fish up underneath it, and get it close enough to my pie-hole for usage? Or am I back in the "Silent Movie" era?

Spyder Garage

I use JT's Dashmount with a ram ball to mount my GoPro - really happy with it, there. I can easily operate the camera and it does a great job, shooting through the windshield.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Hi Bob!
    I'm glad that you saw this, and decided to help pour some information into the "Punkin' Head" of mine...
    Since I don't have any Bluetooth setup to use; how does this limit capabilities with these cameras? If it's mounted to my chinbar; do they offer a mic that I can fish up underneath it, and get it close enough to my pie-hole for usage? Or am I back in the "Silent Movie" era?
    Yes you can get a optional MIC that plugs in the camera you can fish up into your helmet.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

This is what you get with a helmet mounted GoPro on the chin bar.

Mine has the SENA BT MIC but the wired MIC will work just as good.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

5020 Meadow Pines Pl, Virginia Beach, VA 23464
    Spyder Garage

Default GO PRO CAMERA

Hi, I just got a Go Pro HERO 4 and bought the 64 gb. I the the Suction cup mount and it works like a charm. Placed it on the bottom of my 2014 RT Windshield and it held firmly for over 200 miles without incident. Also no vibration. You can also use the mount provided in the kit for use on your helmet.
    I rode the Tail of the Dragon and used it and am enjoying the video of my trip to the Smokies.
    GOOD LUCK with the new toy.

Don

Spyder Garage

I too was supposed to get one (GoPro) for Xmass from my wife BUT I cashed out my credit card points before switching banks and got one with the points. Luckily the wife did not buy one yet, and I told her she could just hold it till Xmass and give it to me then, but she said no-enjoy it now! Have yet to mess with it, so I will watch this thread for ideas and tips. Now the reason I got one-I'm the falling reaper. I have watched 3 friends fall off of scooters and didnt have any of it on video. Dont worry, no one got seriously hurt! Everyone at work kept getting on me because I see cool (HUGE potato on a flatbed truck) and crazy stuff (shoot out in a intersection). Now I just gotta learn how to use it!

Spyder Garage

Default Camera with remote control

Check this camera http://www.zoozmc.com/#!product/prd1...camera-zc-7000

It includes a remote control that can be installed on the handlebar and you can see what you are shooting.

You can install the camera in whatever location you want and shoot only when you want short video as well as taking still pictures (which personally I found way more usable)

This message was sent between rides

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with Sharon, still pictures are better. I can honestly say that I very, very rarely look at anyone's ride videos. I like the idea of his camera since you can see what you are shooting.

Another inexpensive option is the HJC RE, you wear it around your neck and point and shoot. It takes video and stills, but there is no view finder so you do need to edit your pictures. Robin, Tom and Murphybrown all had them on the Alaska trip and their pictures were stunning. $125.00
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

no matter which camera and where you mount it
    remember one word TETHER.

i find setting the camera to time lapse, a picture every 5 or 10 seconds. then drag all pictures to a timeline
    (after setting duration of stills to 5 or 6 frames in your editing software) makes a nicer video set to music.

this is a still every 5 seconds for a 6 frame duration.

<font size="4">

Last edited by vided; 10-28-2015 at 06:10 AM.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Suction cup mounts have always made me nervous...
    I ordered a bunch of parts from JT, and will be using his Dash mount...
    (Now I've just got to remember to clean the windshield! )

Spyder Garage

Default mounting

I use a helmet mount for mine and really like it . Tried a dashmount and too much vibration . Big problem I have is not being able to hear the beeps when turning on or off and then end up not videoing what I want . Bought a remote that shows what the camera is doing but have not been too, happy with it so far , battery doesn't seem to hold a charge. I have a 32gig card and it takes a lottttttttttttttttttttt of footage and like previously stated , you'll run out of battery first . Spare battery and charger is a must . Also have the lcd for mine which if riding with a corider she can look at the screen and tell me if it's recording or not. I'm not impressed with the editing software from gopro or maybe I'm just too old to figure it out. Rode Lamonts old stomping grounds this summer and have some excellent vids of the riding .

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Suction cup mounts have always made me nervous...
    I ordered a bunch of parts from JT, and will be using his Dash mount...
    (Now I've just got to remember to clean the windshield! )
    hey bob check your e mail
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

UPDATE...

I got the camera, got a mount, and have it mounted on the bike.
    Now I just need to figure out how to turn it on!