Spyder Garage

Default Mustang seats available for the RT

Long time ago, I wrote to Mustang asking why they did not have a seat for the Spyder, in particular the RT. They just replied today that they now have them. I've had two Mustangs on previous bikes and really, really liked them. Not sure what they are like on the Mustang but at least they are available now. Of course, a little late now that I have a Corbin but at least others out there have another choice.
    http://www.mustangseats.com/Categori...=Can-Am+Spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had two Mustang saddles on my V-Stars... They were very comfy!
    Thanks for this info!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Ultimate Seat

I'm new to the Spyder. Have a 2014 RT S. For what it's worth, I had a 1300 VTX prior to this that I had put an Ultimate Seat on it, and I really like it, and I might add that Ultimate is one of the sponsors of this site. Just sayin.

Spyder Garage

I didn't see a fuel door, did you?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nope...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Mustang is a good product. Have had them on various two wheelers. Let's see if they jump on board as a sponsor.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'll send them another note about being a sponsor pointing out that Corbin and Ultimate are sponsor's......

Spyder Garage

Nice looking seat,I had a mustang on a previous honda and liked it,they do tend to move you slightly forward.I went with the ultimate tallboy and it is very comfy.I wonder if mustang will add a tallboy like ultimate.

Spyder Garage

would not but it with out a fule door have it on my RT Limited with the Ultimate seat so get with the program a do a redesign with a gas Door on thee seat

Spyder Garage

It would be nice if they made seats for the ST's also.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

And Al Simmons(Founder of Mustang Seats) and his wife are superb people too. I had the good fortune of getting to know them as they are both pilots. His wife flew a Trinidad like myself and we met up annually at fly-ins. I didn't know who they were for the longest time other than I just enjoyed spending time with them, never spoke about work, just life and flying. They were just salt of the earth people who were just kind and generous. I didn't realize who Al was until I found out he flew a multi-million dollar turbo-prop himself called a Pilatus. When I asked what he did he shared some info about Mustang seats but played it down like it was just some small business and I wasn't familiar with them. Who knew! Offered to take care of any of the folks in our group if we wanted anything from his company. I never realized how successful he was.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very interesting. I had a Mustang seat on my last two wheeler ('07 V-Star 1300T) and really liked it. I'll have to check them out.

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had a Mustang on my '98 Shadow 1100 and LOVED it - made the difference between a 3 hour bike and an 8 hour bike. On my 2010 Kawasaki Voyager I found the Mustang seat uncomfortable because of the handlebar position of the bike but they took it back no questions asked. Good people to work with.

I'd like to be able to try one although I love my Ultimate seat. However, no matter how much I liked it I'd wait for a fuel door.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Ignorant here so, I'm asking....

I have owned my first ever motor bike of any kind for the past year and a half. I have the Spyder "Comfort seat" and driver's back rest. I'm a bigger guy and can ride about 3 hours before needing to get off the bike (of course fuel barely last that long anyways) SO, my question is ....are any of the aftermarket seats really that much more comfortable that they are worth $1,000 and more (with shipping and the driver's backrest, etc) to purchase? If so, why or by what design and materials make them so much more comfortable than factory seats? Again, I'm not being combative, I am claiming ignorance of the deepest and purest kind.

I'm not opposed to spending money on my Spyder and especially if it helps my "nether regions" enjoy the ride as much as the rest of me!!!

Thanks,

Mike
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Spyder Garage

Of course this is a highly speculative and opinion charged topic on the forum, but that aside the answer is definitively yes!!

If you're good with a straight 3 hours on the stock seat you're doing better than most of us, and if you don't regularly ryde longer maybe that will do for you. I like the occasional 10-hour day, and the stock seat hurt my lower back badly. I had similar experiences on previous bikes, and always found a 3rd party seat to work better. For me, I set asyde $1000 when I bought the byke anticipating the need for an alternate seat. (Yes it's expensive, but after the initial sticker shock I barely felt this!)

If you go through the forums you'll find stock seat fans, Ultimate fans, Corbin fans, RDL fans and now Mustang fans. If you get a chance, try other people's rydes with other seats so you can see if one will work better for you. If not, stay with what you've got. It normally takes 3 or 4 hours of ryding to get a feel for a new seat.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    Of course this is a highly speculative and opinion charged topic on the forum, but that aside the answer is definitively yes!!

If you're good with a straight 3 hours on the stock seat you're doing better than most of us, and if you don't regularly ryde longer maybe that will do for you. I like the occasional 10-hour day, and the stock seat hurt my lower back badly. I had similar experiences on previous bikes, and always found a 3rd party seat to work better. For me, I set asyde $1000 when I bought the byke anticipating the need for an alternate seat. (Yes it's expensive, but after the initial sticker shock I barely felt this!)

If you go through the forums you'll find stock seat fans, Ultimate fans, Corbin fans, RDL fans and now Mustang fans. If you get a chance, try other people's rydes with other seats so you can see if one will work better for you. If not, stay with what you've got. It normally takes 3 or 4 hours of ryding to get a feel for a new seat.
    Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Can you tell me what makes these other seats better or even different? Are they wider? Narrower? Softer? Memory foam? Anyone else?
    NEVER, look straight up at a bird ....NEVER drink downstream from the herd ....and NEVER, EVER squat....with your spurs on!!!

Spyder Garage

It's a bit hard to quantify why the non-stock seats are generally better, but here's my best shot.

Foam - often the stock foam is a bit squishy. All of the after market seats brag about their foam. Ultimate says their's is formulated for a "progressive squish" (my word). Corbin has a very firm foam that adapts to your butt, takes a while to break in.

Shape - if your Corbin seat doesn't suit you, they will reshape it once for free. On the RT I hate the ridge behind the driver (cuts into my lower back), and my Ultimate has a shape that overcomes this. I just fit better on my Ultimate than the stock seat. Ultimate says "you sit in it, not on it" and while I think it's true, it is advertising. On my Honda Shadow, my back was killing me after about 3 hours but once I got the Mustang I could ride all day.

Accessories - Corbin and Ultimate both offer a fuel door, which is a NICE enhancement. Doesn't make you sit better but still very nice.

You're correct - if you buy a new seat, backrest, rear backrest, and rear armrests you're out over $1k so this isn't a trivial farkle. However, the RT is a touring byke, and small adjustments make an incredible difference after several hours of butt/seat contact.

Ultimate allows you to try a seat and return it within 14 days if you don't like (you pay for return shipping). Mustang has always offered a similar deal, Corbin and RDL don't. This is on the theory that you can't judge a seat in a few minutes, it takes several hours of ryding.

My best endorsement for my Ultimate seat is this - with the stock seat I felt uncomfortable a lot. With the Ultimate, I just don't think about the seat.
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    It's a bit hard to quantify why the non-stock seats are generally better, but here's my best shot.

Foam - often the stock foam is a bit squishy. All of the after market seats brag about their foam. Ultimate says their's is formulated for a "progressive squish" (my word). Corbin has a very firm foam that adapts to your butt, takes a while to break in.

Shape - if your Corbin seat doesn't suit you, they will reshape it once for free. On the RT I hate the ridge behind the driver (cuts into my lower back), and my Ultimate has a shape that overcomes this. I just fit better on my Ultimate than the stock seat. Ultimate says "you sit in it, not on it" and while I think it's true, it is advertising. On my Honda Shadow, my back was killing me after about 3 hours but once I got the Mustang I could ride all day.

Accessories - Corbin and Ultimate both offer a fuel door, which is a NICE enhancement. Doesn't make you sit better but still very nice.

You're correct - if you buy a new seat, backrest, rear backrest, and rear armrests you're out over $1k so this isn't a trivial farkle. However, the RT is a touring byke, and small adjustments make an incredible difference after several hours of butt/seat contact.

Ultimate allows you to try a seat and return it within 14 days if you don't like (you pay for return shipping). Mustang has always offered a similar deal, Corbin and RDL don't. This is on the theory that you can't judge a seat in a few minutes, it takes several hours of ryding.

My best endorsement for my Ultimate seat is this - with the stock seat I felt uncomfortable a lot. With the Ultimate, I just don't think about the seat.

Thank you for taking the time to put that all into typed words. I really appreciate it. I think I owe it to myself to try out one of these aftermarket units next riding season. In SE PA these days, I'm not sure how much seat time I'd get in 14 days. Over the winter, it looks like I'll be changing a rear tire and drive belt (stone through the belt). The sting of the cost of those repairs should be gone in time to check out a seat for next year's season....(along with a belt guard of some sort!!)

Thanks again for taking the time to explain the value of aftermarket seats!

Mike

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Seats

I had a Mustang on my Harley Electro Glide and now have a Ultimate on the RT. I liked both seats but I love the gas door on the RT seat. So no gas door no deal.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by J48cruiser View Post
    would not but it with out a fule door have it on my RT Limited with the Ultimate seat so get with the program a do a redesign with a gas Door on thee seat
    Not everybody wants a fuel door on the seat. I don't ride with a passenger, so I would not order a custom seat with a fuel door because I think the bike looks better without one.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

If you load up for a trip and use the rear seat for a bag it's a pain to gas up and with my Ultimate seat it's looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk