Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Circling Lake Okeechobee

Yesterday I did a loop around Lake Okeechobee from north to south, for no reason other than to see part of Florida I hadn't seen. It was warm and very windy, the sway bar got a workout.

The Lake is surrounded by earthworks, a testament to humans trying to control nature. In recent years persistent drought and high water use has lowered the Lake level significantly. There is now a huge construction project moving around the lake to drive pilings much deeper, due to concerns the Lake will undercut its containment.

The pictures are from Port Mayaca on the east side, where there is a boat lock and flood control dam. With low levels, I'm not sure how navigable Lake Okeechobee is anymore except to small boats. I do know that larger cruisers that used to cross Florida through the Lake and canal system are now forced to go down to the Keys to get to and from the Gulf Coast.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default What a great ride.

I'd like to take that ride someday. Lots of wildlife there.

2011 Spyder RT Limited (Artie)

Spyder Garage

Default Was nice...

did that a couple of times many many years ago. It was amazing but a bit sad to see how progress has changed it. Must still be some natural areas... glad you took the time and had a good ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Most of Central Florida is ranch land, tree farms, orchards, and a lot of sugar cane around the lake. Most people today don't realize the Everglades were once continuous from Orlando south. Most has been drained, the streams are now channels and canals, and a lot of the wetlands are gone until well south of Okeechobee. The price of progress.

Around the the town of Okeechobee on the north end of the lake are more RV and mobile home parks than I have seen around here. You can't swing a cat without hitting one. There are also a lot of small, worn out little towns along the route I took where the people appeared to be at poverty level or barely above. Not an easy life for those working in the ag industry there.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LoveMyRyde View Post
    I'd like to take that ride someday. Lots of wildlife there.
    And so it should be. This time of year is good, except for the wind. As for the wildlife, I would not get my hopes up unless you are into birds.

With a little advance notice we could probably put together a group and enjoy the 100 and change miles abound the lake.

PK

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    Most of Central Florida is ranch land, tree farms, orchards, and a lot of sugar cane around the lake. Most people today don't realize the Everglades were once continuous from Orlando south. Most has been drained, the streams are now channels and canals, and a lot of the wetlands are gone until well south of Okeechobee. The price of progress.

Around the the town of Okeechobee on the north end of the lake are more RV and mobile home parks than I have seen around here. You can't swing a cat without hitting one. There are also a lot of small, worn out little towns along the route I took where the people appeared to be at poverty level or barely above. Not an easy life for those working in the ag industry there.
    No doubt there are a lot of RV parks. As for the wind, this time of year it can be pretty brutal but doable.

Curious where you stopped for food if anywhere.

PK

Spyder Garage

Those are nice dam pictures.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-21-2015 at 02:25 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If you are into camping there is a nice park at Fish Eating Creek in the area we have stayed at.

Spyder Garage

Default What a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    And so it should be. This time of year is good, except for the wind. As for the wildlife, I would not get my hopes up unless you are into birds.

With a little advance notice we could probably put together a group and enjoy the 100 and change miles abound the lake.

PK

I always thought of this area as a protected, conservation area. I have never been to that part of the state. All I see on the news is how the indigionous species are being destroyed by introduced species.

2011 Spyder RT Limited (Artie)

Spyder Garage

I always thought of this area as a protected, conservation area. I have never been to that part of the state. All I see on the news is how the indigionous species are being destroyed by introduced species.
    As for the area being protected, maybe. Guess it just depends on who is talking.

The non native species, very real problem. Enough so that they have a hunt for pythons now. We have all sorts of giant iguana type lizards and cuban Jesus lizards near us.

As for the ride, let's make it happen.

PK

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

No doubt there are a lot of RV parks. As for the wind, this time of year it can be pretty brutal but doable.

Curious where you stopped for food if anywhere.

PK
    I stipped for gas at a Shell in Okeechobee that had a Subway inside. They ripped me off for using a credit card at the pump, I didn't catch the 30 cent up charge till I was already pumping.

I use Subway because they make a good chopped salad, and I am gluten intolerant so I can't eat the bread. When I ordered the salad, the younger girl behind the counter looked at me like I was from another planet. Her older colleague took care of the order. I guess they don't get too many salad orders there.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

To the contrary, the area is commercial farms and ranches. Other than signs for accessing the Okeechobee trail that circles the lake, I don't recall seeing any signs for parks or preserves.

Spyder Garage

I stipped for gas at a Shell in Okeechobee that had a Subway inside. They ripped me off for using a credit card at the pump, I didn't catch the 30 cent up charge till I was already pumping.

I use Subway because they make a good chopped salad, and I am gluten intolerant so I can't eat the bread. When I ordered the salad, the younger girl behind the counter looked at me like I was from another planet. Her older colleague took care of the order. I guess they don't get too many salad orders there.
    My wife has gluten allergies also, Subway often does well. As for the Shell in Okeechobee, I know the place since we often stop there. May have bought fuel at the Shell there.

PK

Spyder Garage

To the contrary, the area is commercial farms and ranches. Other than signs for accessing the Okeechobee trail that circles the lake, I don't recall seeing any signs for parks or preserves.
    There are a bunch of parks along the way around the lake. Sort of your typical Florida park with pavilions and kids stuff. A lot of people enjoy the overlooks as was shown earlier in this topic. The lake is impressive to see. Environmentally it may have it's issues but it is old and things change with time. Same with the Kissimee River.

If you want to see preserves, a short distance from the lake is Dupuis. This is a natural area. Depending upon the month, they do allow horses, and hunting, hiking and nature watching. This is no doubt old school hammocks and grass lands. There is plenty of wildlife there. I know having cut the no longer ridden mountain bike trail years ago.

I want to say there is also another preserve on the lakes west side, need to see a map to find it.

PK

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

PK
    We are in Sun City Center and would like to take the ride. Did Sebring last week. Much nicer than Vermont.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NEKSPYDER2013 View Post
    We are in Sun City Center and would like to take the ride. Did Sebring last week. Much nicer than Vermont.

When you say "Much nicer than Vermon" I assume you mean at this time of year, right?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes, no more Ski-doo's.

Spyder Garage

Default Just a note...

The earthen works around lake Okeechobee were put there because in the 1920s a couple of hurricanes went through causing a ton of destruction. The second one killing about 2000 people. They built the dyke to prevent that kind of destruction in the future. And it works. Remember, the lake is enormous. Second largest in the US. It is one of only a few lakes that can be seen from space.

It is an eyesore, but probably still necessary. Even that is up for debate considering the current technology and monitoring.

The ride around there is nice though.
    2015 F3-S , Can-Am Red (Orange)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_Ron View Post
    The earthen works around lake Okeechobee were put there because in the 1920s a couple of hurricanes went through causing a ton of destruction. The second one killing about 2000 people. They built the dyke to prevent that kind of destruction in the future. And it works. Remember, the lake is enormous. Second largest in the US. It is one of only a few lakes that can be seen from space.

It is an eyesore, but probably still necessary. Even that is up for debate considering the current technology and monitoring.

The ride around there is nice though.
    The current dike replaced a smaller one that was breached when storm surge was created from a major hurricane that passed over the lake in 1928. And it's the largest lake fully contained in one state, too.