Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Shans - Portable CB set up

Hey Shana this post is for you.
    I cannot figure how to send you pictures by way of Private messenger. I am sorry these pictures have teken longer than it should have but I have a few family problems.

So, this my set up for a midland portable CB using the Lamonster RT Cuff here re some pictures.

The portable CB is connected to the Sena SR10 by way of the cord that is connected from Sena SR10 to the mic outlet on the CB, The i"RAM mount ball is screwed into the Lamonster cuff and the portable RAM mount radio holder is used. all is bluetoothed into my 20S headset by SENA.. I use an extra tall runbber ducky antenna which is great you can talk to other bikes in your group, This setup puts BRP comm/system to shame. I can say this because I owned a BRP comm system on my 2010 RT and it was crap!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Marker; 10-12-2015 at 05:44 PM.

Spyder Garage

Very nice,I like that set up. Bob what progress on the modification to be able to trigger this thru the Spyder ptt?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Bob, can you tell us the name of the CB holder, and where you got it? Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

please specifically list the components and supplier you purchased to put this together
    thanx

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Parts for this setup are....

Midland CB hand held, Don't know where he got it or the mount... I have seen this and other brand CB's at
    many major truck stops and on Amazon and Ebay for under $125.00
    The SR10 is a SENA unit I stock them they work with any CB radio
    The cable here for the Midland is the SENA SC-A0115 I have that and others in stock.
    The push to talk button shown is the SENA SR10-A0202
    I wish I knew where the mount came from it looks good and strong...
    Great setup and I am guessing about 1/4 the cost of the BRP unit or less.
    For prices on this or any other SENA products you must CALL ME SENA does not want me or any other dealer
    showing prices that are lower than what they want them to sell for, so you must call or email me.
    Thanks

Ride Safe
    Dave

Spyder Garage

the CB is under $100 on Amazon

I happen to find this mount on Amazon as well:
    http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Han...torcycle+mount

can't really tell is same one or if will work well

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

I brought the same holder on Amazon ( ram1272).Got the Sr10 and cables from motorcycle dave.
    Have adjustable handle bars, so used ram mount.
    Tested it this past weekend, riding with a group of 2 wheelers and trikes. Worked great , learned that after keying Mike on CB , that after about a minute it reverts back to intercom, so you can talk to your passenger .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

More info, when you are in intercom, the CB will interrupt (has priority ) , so you don't miss any transmission from other bikes. This is great,so you can have private conversation with others that are linked threw intercom.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI, you will notice the Sena cable for the Midland CB cable# SC-A0115 blocks the knobs on the top of the CB.

Instead use the Sena cable for the iCOM CB cable SC-A0113 which will come out the other way and not block the knobs.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI I did not find any RAM part number 1272. If it exists, RAM doesn't make it.

The holder he is using is this one.

RAM-B-149Z-BC1U

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-149Z-BC1U

Bob

Spyder Garage

I suppose it would work ok to install a cig lighter socket (or powerlet) and power it that way. I'm leaning toward making it easily removable and being able to only use it on rides when I want to and not have it mounted when I don't.

What length (and brand) antenna did you replace the stock one with ???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe the company that shipped this for Amazon, changed p/n. I just read what was on the label. See attached
    20151013_112335.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotRider View Post
    I suppose it would work ok to install a cig lighter socket (or powerlet) and power it that way. I'm leaning toward making it easily removable and being able to only use it on rides when I want to and not have it mounted when I don't.

What length (and brand) antenna did you replace the stock one with ???
    Only problem with the 12V outlet and mounting the CB to the handlebars is now you have a cord going from your handlebars to the dash. Might get tangled up make sharp turns.

I am going to mount the CB to the dash (I remove the left analog gauge and put a RAM mount there). But then if you use the Sena PTT you again have a cord
    This is why I am working on using the stock PTT button built in the handlebar.

I have found a way to do it I think. There is a CAN-HIGH signal that comes out of the FM radio. This does not seem to be part of the entire Spyder's CAN-BUSS but is a sub-net off the radio. I checked this signal and it in fact goes high when PTT is pressed. Now I have to design a opto-isolated circuit to use it to trigger the Sena SR-10. I just need to the time to get at it.

Bob

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    Maybe the company that shipped this for Amazon, changed p/n. I just read what was on the label. See attached
    20151013_112335.jpg
    The top number is the RAM part#

RAM-HOL-BC1U

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-BC1U

This is the same holder as the one I posted above
    RAM-B-149Z-BC1U

Except it's just the holder and does not come with the rear ball or RAM clamp thus the much lower price on RAM-HOL-BC1U as you have to buy the ball and clamp unless you already have them.

Thanks for the picture... That clears up the RAM 1272 confusion

Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Only problem with the 12V outlet and mounting the CB to the handlebars is now you have a cord going from your handlebars to the dash. Might get tangled up make sharp turns.

I am going to mount the CB to the dash (I remove the left analog gauge and put a RAM mount there). But then if you use the Sena PTT you again have a cord
    This is why I am working on using the stock PTT button built in the handlebar.

I have found a way to do it I think. There is a CAN-HIGH signal that comes out of the FM radio. This does not seem to be part of the entire Spyder's CAN-BUSS but is a sub-net off the radio. I checked this signal and it in fact goes high when PTT is pressed. Now I have to design a opto-isolated circuit to use it to trigger the Sena SR-10. I just need to the time to get at it.

Bob
    wow, good stuff, Bob
    it would be much more attractive at dash level
    thanx

If I mount the unit on the bars, I power my radar detector and GPS which are on the bars with wires coming up through the central port where the bars swivel...I guess I could tap into those

oh, and I'm concerned with rain...where I live, I ride in rain all the time, some of it driving rain...I don't believe the CB unit is weatherproof...might have to carry zip lock bags big enough to cover...I dunno

I wish there was a unit that would work that's greater than 4 watts of the hand held unit

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Bob, can you tell us the name of the CB holder, and where you got it? Tom
    I got the RAM MOUNT CB holder from GPS CITY.com Part#http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-rad...-108-bc1u.html
    I bought the parts separately and then bought a 1"RAM ball screw mount to fit the Lamonster cuff. Lamont sells the 1"RAM ball mount with threaded bolt on it.

I wanted my unit to be as portable and clean as possible. I use rechargeable batteries so that I did not have to mount a power source.
    The cords do not tangle up and that was the other reason that I opted for batteries for now. My units cost a1/4 of the price the BRP unit costs and it can reach out better and better reception.
    I am thinking of mounting a pogo stick for a firefly cb antenna. A few police bikes have the pogo stick for their lights and radio antennas.
    I am very happy the way my setup works.
    Since I am Canadian I bought everything on sale and a local bike shop started carrying Sena products so I was able to pay USA Price in Canadian dollars and they had a no tax sale so I saved more too.
    I have been really busy at work so this is the first time I have visited spyderlovers since I posted this. I did sperak with Dave about the Sena Parts but then a local Canadian started selling Sena. I saved on the shipping cost and USA exchange rate too.
    Last edited by Marker; 10-16-2015 at 04:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Tnx!
    That is the same mount Bob had mentioned - just kitted differently

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marker View Post
    I got the RAM MOUNT CB holder from GPS CITY.com Part#http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-rad...-108-bc1u.html
    I bought the parts separately and then bought a 1"RAM ball screw mount to fit the Lamonster cuff. Lamont sells the 1"RAM ball mount with threaded bolt on it.

I wanted my unit to be as portable and clean as possible. I use rechargeable batteries so that I did not have to mount a power source.
    The cords do not tangle up and that was the other reason that I opted for batteries for now. My units cost a1/4 of the price the BRP unit costs and it can reach out better and better reception.
    I am thinking of mounting a pogo stick for a firefly cb antenna. A few police bikes have the pogo stick for their lights and radio antennas.
    I am very happy the way my setup works.
    Since I am Canadian I bought everything on sale and a local bike shop started carrying Sena products so I was able to pay USA Price in Canadian dollars and they had a no tax sale so I saved more too.
    I have been really busy at work so this is the first time I have visited spyderlovers since I posted this. I did sperak with Dave about the Sena Parts but then a local Canadian started selling Sena. I saved on the shipping cost and USA exchange rate too.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

FYI
    You can get all the mounting piece parts (less the cuff of course) from Amazon for @ $33.00
    A little more if you go with the 3" double ball mount over the 2".

Just thought I'd throw that out there

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    The top number is the RAM part#

RAM-HOL-BC1U

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-BC1U

This is the same holder as the one I posted above
    RAM-B-149Z-BC1U

Except it's just the holder and does not come with the rear ball or RAM clamp thus the much lower price on RAM-HOL-BC1U as you have to buy the ball and clamp unless you already have them.

Thanks for the picture... That clears up the RAM 1272 confusion

Bob

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the help

Mark- I haven't answered your thread since we talked through email, but thanks for all your help. I have been pricing the pieces and talked to Dave about the Sena SR10 as well so that will be my winter project.

Spyder Garage

My wife has recently bought a Spyder, so I am thinking about how to hook her up with CB so she can talk to me on my GoldWing. I will no doubt create a system for her using a Midland CB and an Autocom, as I have on my Wing.

It would of course be nice to use the bike's built-in PTT switch, and from reading these threads on here it seems that I will face the same problem in using the PTT wiring as I did on the Wing - i.e. it is part of an addressable switch system and so the existing wires cannot easily be used in the way you might expect.

However, my solution on the Wing was to unsolder the wires from the PTT switch and run a new twisted pair down the handlebars and to my CB unit. Has anyone tried that with the Spyder? Is it easy to get to the back of the PTT switch?

Other Wingers have simply added a momentary toggle switch - maybe in a tiny box - and stuck it somewhere convenient for the left index finger, running wires from that down the handlebars. Presumably some Spyder owners have tried that method too?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
    My wife has recently bought a Spyder, so I am thinking about how to hook her up with CB so she can talk to me on my GoldWing. I will no doubt create a system for her using a Midland CB and an Autocom, as I have on my Wing.

It would of course be nice to use the bike's built-in PTT switch, and from reading these threads on here it seems that I will face the same problem in using the PTT wiring as I did on the Wing - i.e. it is part of an addressable switch system and so the existing wires cannot easily be used in the way you might expect.

However, my solution on the Wing was to unsolder the wires from the PTT switch and run a new twisted pair down the handlebars and to my CB unit. Has anyone tried that with the Spyder? Is it easy to get to the back of the PTT switch?

Other Wingers have simply added a momentary toggle switch - maybe in a tiny box - and stuck it somewhere convenient for the left index finger, running wires from that down the handlebars. Presumably some Spyder owners have tried that method too?
    Hi, KA2PFL and N2GUU here.
    This is the Ham radio on our 2015 RTL. The Radio is installed in the trunk (so I do not fiddle while Spydering down the road).

The antenna is mounted here with a metal plate under it for strength.

It was installed above the Chicken Band hole so it would line up with the AM/FM antenna like this. I took the photo at an angle, but side on both antennas are in line.

The radio is connected to a Sena SR10 mounted here. I wired the PTT to the Spyders PTT switch on the handlebar.

It works great, but kind of missing the 30 watts of a mobile dual bander.

You can get to the PTT button, but you will have to cut the flex circuit and carefully solder to the plastic based flex circuit without melting it. If you want I can post a picture of the switch and flex circuit.
    2015 RTL , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We would sure like to see the pic of the ptt switch and circuit!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Roger Wendal had posted a picture of how he got to the PTT switch. I am looking for it. I found it once before.

Bob

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Larry rt View Post
    We would sure like to see the pic of the ptt switch and circuit!
    Here you go.

The flex circuit was snipped in half to isolate it from the spyders electronics. The red and black wire was soldered to the flex circuit after carefully scraping the plastic layer off one side. The blob you see is 5 minute epoxy to prevent the soldered wires from breaking off. I epoxied one side, let it cure, then epoxied the other side. You can see the notch I cut into the plastic (near where the wires are coiled up) so the wire will not get pinched when the switch assembly is screwed back together.

The wires are routed the same way as the spyders. Mine run to the trunk where the ham gear is, yours will run to the handle bar for your CB radio. The hardest part of the whole job is soldering to the flex circuit. The traces are small and close together. And you need a temperature controlled soldering iron so you do not melt the flex circuit. If you have soldered before, you should not have an issue. Leave the flex circuit long, so if you screw it up you can cut that piece off and try again. I got it right on the first shot but I have been a electronics tech for 45 years
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2015 RTL , Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks