Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Future of the RS

Hell all, first time posting. I really enjoy my 2012 RS S SE5. The only thing I don't care for is the look of the front end. I was going to upgrade to an ST but to me I couldn't get "aggressive" enough in the corners to compare to the RS, front end or not to make me want to switch. When I saw the F3 I thought, "I like the front end and it has the 1330 engine, this is what I have been looking for. Took one for a test drive and it was pretty good but I still couldn't attack the curves like I could hanging off the side of my RS. Life is compromises so I thought get the bigger engine and changed front end and be happy. Still not ready right yet to give up the RS but I see some great deals on the 2015 F3 so I don't know how long I can hold out. I have three questions for you guys.

1. Do you think the RS is going to be phased out or get a bigger engine, more "Sport" ?
    2. If the engine remains the same what can BRP do to increase the performance?
    3. What are the chances 2017 will bring a re-engineered RS?

Thanks

Spyder Garage

There are a lot of folks on here that really love the sporty riding position of the RS. I think it would be a mistake to remove it from the lineup. You can move the pegs back on the F3 but the seat is so low it puts you in an odd position. It would leave too big a hole to remove it so I would think it will be updated. Sport, sport tourer, power cruiser and tourer checks most of the boxes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's fascinating wondering what BRP will do next.

We shall wonder and ponder and make guesses then, next September, we'll all get excited wondering what's coming at the launch, then the launch will happen and we'll all chat about what BRP have introduced or not-introduced, then it'll all go quiet again while people wait for the new models to hit the showrooms (Jan-Feb in USA, June-July in Australia) then the chatter will increase with reviews and opinions, then it all starts again. Such fun watching it all.

Re your specific questions - your guess is as good as mine!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

unfortunately, "if" the rs remains, I think it will become an entry level machine. 660 ace maybe and a $9999.00 price tag. it won't get a revamp. the rs doesn't hold that large of a percentage in the sales department. brp introduced the f3 and upgraded the f3 with options in 2016 that they hope will make that the new hot seller! I don't think it's done what they expected in 2015, so we'll see what 2016 brings with the f3. that's just my take on the rs!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RS is the lightest best handling Spyder. Fastest 0 to 60 time. It would be nice to have the Ace engine in the RS frame but not the extra weight like the F3. Will have to wait and see.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Slayer View Post
    The RS is the lightest best handling Spyder. Fastest 0 to 60 time. It would be nice to have the Ace engine in the RS frame but not the extra weight like the F3. Will have to wait and see.

Wow

Talk about a super bike RS with 1330

Jmo The f3 is to close to the RT. The only difference is forward controls and sitting lower.

Don't think all the added acessories will make huge difference in sales Compared to the rt.

Price is to close and mor bells and whistles with rt

Spyder Garage

Hey Mace, quick answers to your questions:

1). No idea but would guess 'probably not';
    2). I wouldn't hang around waiting for them, have you looked into doing anything yourself?;
    3). See answer to 1). above.

Same thing re 2). with the looks, if you really want to change it, got any thoughts yourself? Given your 'druthers, what would you do?

Going into it a bit deeper - The RS vs ST mounting points that the 'tupperware' hangs off aren't really all that different, maybe you could do a little 'mix'n'match' to get it looking the way you want? Or maybe with a little gentle massaging or some extra fabrication underneath the covers, you could hang the F3 'frunk' off your RS?

If if you haven't already, there are also a few relatively cheap & simple things you could do to improve the performance of your existing RS. Got an upgraded sway bar & shocks? What about a cat eliminator (it'll amp up the engines mid range response if nothing else); installing one of the air intake upgrades; fitting a less restrictive exhaust? Going up progressively in cost, how about trying a PowerCommander or one of the other fuel management add on systems; transplanting the engine management software from one of the 'higher output' alternatives of what's effectively the same motor; or maybe even looking at fitting a turbo?! All of those have been done already, many of them very successfully even if they haven't wound the thing right up.... (not sure that at least one of the turbo installs didn't go just a little beyond the 'keep it reliable' stage tho?!)

Maybe you could take any/all of them even further, & be the 'test mule' for the rest of us?! That way you could get the best of both worlds; stick with the RS you already like but get the looks & performance you really want...

Just one one thing tho, if you do any/all of this, please take 'step by step' pics & post them up for those of us following with interest?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I REALLY don't like the front end on the F3, that is the deal breaker for me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwall View Post
    I REALLY don't like the front end on the F3, that is the deal breaker for me.
    I agree, looks like a ride on mower.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Can am has the turbo 1000 in one of their side by side quads. Now, there could be a real motor for the RS. If only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RS Forever...!!

There is a thread running now asking for interested parties for the turbo. They make them and have sold to several to spyder RS's. I don't think brp has an interest in an entry level spyder. The RS is i, perhaps they will beef it up or you could get the aprilla version rotax with the 149 hp. Personally I love the RS and have the last of the 106 hp model. Modded the front end and it does what I want it to do and keeps up with the best of them. Die hard RS ryder till the end..me or the RS... can you tell..??
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

The demise of the RS has been discussed many times.

The one or more models that may be the first to be discontinued will be those with the lowest sales in the line up. We are not privy to that information--but speculate it is probably the RS.

I have had two RS models and over 40,000 miles on them combined. I was okay with both, but gravitated to the RT models because I wanted space and luxury.

The 1330 is am improvement over the 998 twin cylinder in my opinion.

In my opinion, re-positioning is a possibility. I can see an entry level version with perhaps a smaller engine as mentioned above. An entry level price of $10K would be a smart move if BRP wants to add a younger demographic to the picture. I did not own a $10K plus motorcycle until I was well on in years. The most expensive I went prior to was $13K--a Vulcan 2000 LTD.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The RS is dead long live the RS.

As I've said before the RS sells far better outside of the US. For example it has the biggest slice of sales in NZ - which admittedly is a very small market:-) The RS is the one model that BRP have had to do very little with over the years. There was a big revamp in 2013 but that was mainly for the ST so they could share a common platform. So R&D/type approval costs are pretty minimal - getting a new product to market costs a lot of money.

It also appeals to a different market to the other models. A younger audience (or at least mindset:-)) than the RT and perhaps to a lesser extent the ST as well. The F3 will appeal to some who would have previously considered the RS but it's also fair and squarely aimed at 'cruiser' market. There are plenty or people out there that don't want that or a tourer like the RT. I suspect few RS owners have owned a Goldwing - or ever wanted one:-) Personally if it wasn't for the RS I wouldn't have a Spyder and still be on 2 wheels as none of the rest of the range appeals to me, I can't be the only one like that.

Also has said before what the RSS needs is a sports mode that adds a bit more power and trims nanny. We know both of these things are possible and there's even an outfit in New Zealand that will do that for you. The problem is for BRP is it worth the R&D and possible warranty issues - after all the RSS has been the most reliable model so why muck it up.

The big question for the RS is not what BRP are going to do but what Honda are planning...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep pestering them, I still can't believe they don't make a simple sport trike. The v-twin engine has previously had higher HP, give it some subtle body work. Lots of people ride, not just bagger tour bikes in the dealerships...some sell none of that.
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As to what BRP is planning, you can ask 100 people and get at least 150 opinions. So, who knows???

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think the RS has a good place in the market. Although I have not had a chance to ride a RS for an extended period of time, I cannot see them doing one with a smaller engine for a "starter model". Although I have only been riding for 9 years, I have owned 10 different bikes, and probably logged on about 90k miles. I have owned everything from big cruisers (intruder 1500), to 600cc sport bikes (2 kawasaki, 1 yamaha), to muscle cruisers (2 M109R), and super bikes (2 zx1200, 1 zx14). Believe me, a 100 hp, 3 wheeled, 800+ trike can be exciting, but the hp is still not too much. And to go to a smaller engine would (IMHO) put in the class as a scooter. I learned from driving my zx14 that a vehicle is only going to go as fast as you let it. If you cannot control the power, you can kill yourself on a 50cc scooter.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can't begin to stuff the 1330 underneath the RS or ST bodywork...
    Since that leaves you with "998 Power"; you should take notice of the fact that Aerocharger was just asking if anybody was interested in turbocharging kits for their Spyders...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

the riding position on the RS stock sucks. I dont want to lean over on the gas tank like im on a supersport. I think most people (me included) have put risers on them. I dont think they will phase it out too quickly and also dont think they will re-design it. it does seem obvious all the emphasis right now is on the F3. And they learned quickly from initial sales that the stripped not even a windshield model needed more options so this year we have the F3 T.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Love my bike. It is the original Spyder and I would hate to see them ever drop the RS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Knowing what BRP will do in the future is impossible at best

As for my opinion. Currently the RS is the only Spyder I would purchase. Seating position and some of the styling elements of the F3 are not for me. I'm not retired so I can't own an RT (joking of course...sort of). The ST, well that's not my style either really but would be my second choice if I couldn't purchase an RS.

Don't get me wrong I love my current RS but I'd love to see the RS(S) get some love in the performance/styling department. Little more power, Baja Ron swaybar standard, lose the rear fender and brackets, updated styling that makes it feel more modern and sporty, things like that. Will it happen, I don't know. I do know that adding gold anodized accents here and there isn't going to convince me to buy a new RSS. At the moment however BRP seems to be content with only color changes on new RS(S) models and there isn't much any of us can do about that

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Knowing what BRP will do in the future is impossible at best

I do know that adding gold anodized accents here and there isn't going to convince me to buy a new RSS. At the moment however BRP seems to be content with only color changes on new RS(S) models and there isn't much any of us can do about that
    Agreed on both points

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    the riding position on the RS stock sucks. I dont want to lean over on the gas tank like im on a supersport. I think most people (me included) have put risers on them. I dont think they will phase it out too quickly and also dont think they will re-design it. it does seem obvious all the emphasis right now is on the F3. And they learned quickly from initial sales that the stripped not even a windshield model needed more options so this year we have the F3 T.
    See for me the stock riding position and stock bars on the RS are perfect, actually the most comfortable bike I've owned - I do 'iron butt' runs on mine with no worries.

I find the sitting position of the F3 really uncomfortable (yes it adjusts but not how I want it).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    See for me the stock riding position and stock bars on the RS are perfect, actually the most comfortable bike I've owned - I do 'iron butt' runs on mine with no worries.

I find the sitting position of the F3 really uncomfortable (yes it adjusts but not how I want it).

Agree 100%

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Agree 100%
    You guys must be young, have good backs, and be very tall

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    You guys must be young, have good backs, and be very tall

43, about 5'-8" Most I've rode in one day is 450 miles but typical ride is about 150-200. No problems, felt great after a ride. I can say I would like to be able to move the bars up and back a bit but I'm not sure the 1" BRP riser will be what I want and the aftermarket adjustable bars look terrible (my opinion) so I won't buy them. Why the bars don't have some adjustment built in from BRP is beyond me.