Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New tire update

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default New tire update

On Wednesday I had a new rear tire installed. A Kumho the same size as the Kenda. I could tell the difference just pulling out of the dealers parking lot. My wife rode with me yesterday and she commented several times over how much more stable the ride was for her. This was the first time we rode double that I could not feel the extra weight on the Spyder ( she weighs a whopping 120#). What a huge difference it makes when the rear tire has real sidewalls. I can't wait to get into some twisties with it.

Spyder Garage

Default Mileage

What was your mileage on the original rear tire?

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Deanna777 View Post
    What was your mileage on the original rear tire?

Deanna

Just over 7600 miles and there was nothing left in the middle and very little left on the sides. I definitely had a soft compound Kenda. I will add that I ride a lot of two lane asphalt roads in Missouri and Kansas. Some of them can be real hard on tires.
    Last edited by kngfsh27; 10-10-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    Just over 7600 miles and there was nothing left in the middle and very little left on the sides. I definitely had a soft compound Kenda.
    When I changed my original rear tire ( Kenda) I had 5,284 miles back in June of this year.

I replaced my original rear tire to a General Altimax RT 43, I like it, and I have not noticed a difference .

I have ridden on dry, wet, gravel, dirt roads. If you get a chance look @ my pictures of my original rear tire that I posted " go to Deanna777" threads started. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Me, too

Just ordered my new rear tire (Ebay - $81.00 plus a few dollars Tax)) should be here Tuesday. My dealer will install for me. Mileage? 3,200. My past two Spyders the factory tire lasted 9,500 (2008) and 9,000 (2010).
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
    Just ordered my new rear tire (Ebay - $81.00 plus a few dollars Tax)) should be here Tuesday. My dealer will install for me. Mileage? 3,200. My past two Spyders the factory tire lasted 9,500 (2008) and 9,000 (2010).
    WOW!!!! And I was feeling bad only getting 7600. I just want a tire that will last an oil change.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post

Looking at my rear tire I'm looking to put a new one on in the spring. I have 6500 kms( approx 3700miles) centre is into wear indicators, outside edges just starting to wear. Not impressed.

Spyder Garage

Speaking of rear tires, in June I replaced mine, I got a General Altimax RT 43 and I paid ( $76.44 for tire ,Freight charge: $15.57, Total Payment: $92.01 tire size: 215/60 15. Mileage on original Tire: 5,284. Deanna

Gremlin Bell
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    On Wednesday I had a new rear tire installed. A Kumho the same size as the Kenda. I could tell the difference just pulling out of the dealers parking lot. My wife rode with me yesterday and she commented several times over how much more stable the ride was for her. This was the first time we rode double that I could not feel the extra weight on the Spyder ( she weighs a whopping 120#). What a huge difference it makes when the rear tire has real sidewalls. I can't wait to get into some twisties with it.
    Did you choose the Kumho Ecsta AST model tire? When I was researching tires before I changed my tire, the Kumho was one I was considering before I ended up choosing the Toyo Proxes 4. I found the Kumho Ecsta AST, and the Toyo Proxes 4 to be one of the few tires available in the stock 225/50R15 size of the Spyder. The Kumho has a rating of 91H, where 91, the "load index" or load carrying capability, is 1356 lbs, and the H, the speed rating, is 130 mph. The Toyo has a rating of 95V, 95 representing load carrying capacity of 1521 lbs. and the V, speed rating of 149 mph (not that I intend to carry 1521 lbs and go 149 mph to test it! - lol). The original Kenda has a rating of 76H, meaning it is only good for 882 lbs, and has the same speed rating of your Kumho. Both the Kumho and the Toyo, I believe, are both good choices and a definite step up from the original Kenda and should outperform and last longer. Let us know how you make out with your Kumho after you clock up some mileage on it and I will report back on my Toyo to provide input for others needing to choose a replacement tire (same size) when it comes time for them.
    Last edited by spydermanstever; 10-10-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydermanstever View Post
    Did you choose the Kumho Ecsta AST model tire? When I was researching tires before I changed my tire, the Kumho was one I was considering before I ended up choosing the Toyo Proxes 4. I found the Kumho Ecsta AST, and the Toyo Proxes 4 to be one of the few tires available in the stock 225/50R15 size of the Spyder. The Kumho has a rating of 91H, where 91, the "load index" or load carrying capability, is 1356 lbs, and the H, the speed rating, is 130 mph. The Toyo has a rating of 95V, 95 representing load carrying capacity of 1521 lbs. and the V, speed rating of 149 mph (not that I intend to carry 1521 lbs and go 149 mph to test it! - lol). The original Kenda has a rating of 76H, meaning it is only good for 882 lbs, and has the same speed rating of your Kumho. Both the Kumho and the Toyo, I believe, are both good choices and a definite step up from the original Kenda and outperform and last longer. Let us know how you make out with your Kumho after you clock up some mileage on it and I will report back on my Toyo to provide input for others needing to choose a replacement tire (same size) when it comes time for them.
    Are you sure about the weight rating on the Kenda? There was a big stink when Vee Rubber first made the Arachnid and didn't have it rated for the weight of the RT, so I find it odd that BRP would put a tire on the RT that isn't rated for the weight of the vehicle.

The Kumho should give you at least 20,000 miles but it has been my experience with them that they are not the greatest on wet roads. That said, I can't argue with $81 and 20,000 miles so I am putting another on my Spyder soon.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Are you sure about the weight rating on the Kenda? There was a big stink when Vee Rubber first made the Arachnid and didn't have it rated for the weight of the RT, so I find it odd that BRP would put a tire on the RT that isn't rated for the weight of the vehicle.

The Kumho should give you at least 20,000 miles but it has been my experience with them that they are not the greatest on wet roads. That said, I can't argue with $81 and 20,000 miles so I am putting another on my Spyder soon.
    The Spyder RT with 1330 motor weighs a little over 1000 pounds
    That weight is carried by 3 tires
    so the rear of the Spyder is no where near 882 pounds
    so the Kenda is fine with a rating of 882 pounds
    It just does not last long

Spyder Garage

Default NEW TIRE

I just had a new Kumho put on Thursday, the original tire had 10,120 mi. on It, not to bad. I'm liking the new Kumho already, $71.00 with free shipping..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by garb55 View Post
    The Spyder RT with 1330 motor weighs a little over 1000 pounds
    That weight is carried by 3 tires
    so the rear of the Spyder is no where near 882 pounds
    so the Kenda is fine with a rating of 882 pounds
    It just does not last long
    Ok, but the Arachnid now has a rating of 80.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STELLING MAN View Post
    I just had a new Kumho put on Thursday, the original tire had 10,120 mi. on It, not to bad. I'm liking the new Kumho already, $71.00 with free shipping..
    Where did you get a Kumho for $71 with free shipping?
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Where did you buy?

Great price. Need to order one. Will get 22k out of Khumo. So going to go with another one

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydermanstever View Post
    Did you choose the Kumho Ecsta AST model tire? When I was researching tires before I changed my tire, the Kumho was one I was considering before I ended up choosing the Toyo Proxes 4. I found the Kumho Ecsta AST, and the Toyo Proxes 4 to be one of the few tires available in the stock 225/50R15 size of the Spyder. The Kumho has a rating of 91H, where 91, the "load index" or load carrying capability, is 1356 lbs, and the H, the speed rating, is 130 mph. The Toyo has a rating of 95V, 95 representing load carrying capacity of 1521 lbs. and the V, speed rating of 149 mph (not that I intend to carry 1521 lbs and go 149 mph to test it! - lol). The original Kenda has a rating of 76H, meaning it is only good for 882 lbs, and has the same speed rating of your Kumho. Both the Kumho and the Toyo, I believe, are both good choices and a definite step up from the original Kenda and should outperform and last longer. Let us know how you make out with your Kumho after you clock up some mileage on it and I will report back on my Toyo to provide input for others needing to choose a replacement tire (same size) when it comes time for them.
    i have used the kuhmo ast's since 08 and have always gotten over 35k on them they are good tires I have brifgestones on the front 45k and they still look good

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If y'all are wearing the center of the tire to the wear bars, and very little wear on the edges, you have it way overinflated. Bleed it! Observe it and continue to bleed it until the contact patch is the full width of the tire check it and maintain that pressure. Much safer, too, with the entire width of the tread on the ground.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Whoa! The 'overinflation' notion has been debunked here before. The Kenda center wear is caused by 'ballooning' at highway speed, not by overinflation (so said Nancy's Toy, AKA the motorcycle professor). Proper inflation is important to avoid tire failure caused by overheating in an underinflated tire. Watch out!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    If y'all are wearing the center of the tire to the wear bars, and very little wear on the edges, you have it way overinflated. Bleed it! Observe it and continue to bleed it until the contact patch is the full width of the tire check it and maintain that pressure. Much safer, too, with the entire width of the tread on the ground.

Please do not start this again. For many tires what you post is true. For the stock Kenda, its not. The Kenda has poor construction and cannot support the width of the tread at speed. It balloons out and wears center. Its NOT an over inflation problem. Its a sub par tire problem.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Please do not start this again. For many tires what you post is true. For the stock Kenda, its not. The Kenda has poor construction and cannot support the width of the tread at speed. It balloons out and wears center. Its NOT an over inflation problem. Its a sub par tire problem.
    Then sue BRP for using an inferior tire.
    Actually never heard of such a thing. Been mounting tires on bicycles, cars, trucks, motorcycles, since about 1960, and now on my Spyder. Never heard of such a thing.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Then sue BRP for using an inferior tire.
    Actually never heard of such a thing. Been mounting tires on bicycles, cars, trucks, motorcycles, since about 1960, and now on my Spyder. Never heard of such a thing.
    You should start believing! It is true they balloon at highway speeds! I found the wet and dry traction on the Kenda to be really good. But no matter how much I lowered the pressure it wore the center.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=
    The Kumho should give you at least 20,000 miles but it has been my experience with them that they are not the greatest on wet roads. That said, I can't argue with $81 and 20,000 miles so I am putting another on my Spyder soon.[/QUOTE]

I wish I would get 20,000! I am at just over 11,000. I can probably squeeze another 3 or 4000 thousand out of it but it will be bald. We do ride pretty aggressive and I almost always have a passenger so that most certainly has a lot to do with it. That being said it is not a bad tire and I will probably buy another one.

Spyder Garage

Default New Kumho tire

For those who wanted to know where I bought my Kumho tire for $71.00 plus tax with free shipping, I got It from Discount Tire Direct #800-589-6789..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    I wish I would get 20,000! I am at just over 11,000. I can probably squeeze another 3 or 4000 thousand out of it but it will be bald. We do ride pretty aggressive and I almost always have a passenger so that most certainly has a lot to do with it. That being said it is not a bad tire and I will probably buy another one.
    On a Kumho? I ride aggressively and add a heavy trailer to it but I have gotten 20,000 on each of the Kumho's that I have run.

For those who wanted to know where I bought my Kumho tire for $71.00 plus tax with free shipping, I got It from Discount Tire Direct #800-589-6789..
    I just bought 2 from them online a week ago and they were $81 with free shipping. Never seen them at $71 before.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Kumho AST

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    My Kumho had 18,400 when I last saw it, and it still had enough tread that I wasn't even checking it yet. Haven't some folks reported 30,000+?

I ryde 2-up quite a lot, but I do try to avoid wheel-spin as much as possible...
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl