Spyder Garage

Default Dead F3 display and will not start

We have a 2015 F3 and today I encountered something I've never seen and could not discover a cause. I got on it to start it, turned the key on and heard the normal energizing that you hear prior to start but there was no display on the instrument cluster. I mean NOTHING. The bike won't turn over, CMD button does nothing, can't release the parking brake, etc. I checked all of the smaller and larger fuses and nothing blown. I don't know how to check the relays so I left them alone. I tried another key in case my key somehow got electrically blown. Battery is fully charged, the front fender lights come on, etc. The electrical parking brake is locked as I can't release it so I can't push it out of the garage. I'm really baffled. Anyone encounter anything like this or have any ideas? Naturally this happens just before we intend to head to Albuquerque Friday for the balloon festival. I'd love to just be able to get it running so I could take it to the dealer. At this point it looks like I'm going to have to get it towed.

Regards,
    Rob

Spyder Garage

Had the same thing happen to me on my 14 RTL. I tinkered with it for about an hour, turned out to be loose battery terminals.

Hope it's something simple and you get a kick in the wind!

Spyder Garage

When you check the relays, be sure that they are pushed all the way in

not sure but could it be the kill switch?

battery low?

Loose battery connection?

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

But good idea to check the battery terminals and ground connections. Seems your not getting power to the whole system. How did you check the battery..??
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for your suggestions

Thanks to all for your suggestions as I'm making progress, and may have it fully resolved. I'll finish up in the morning.

After double checking all of the fuses I again checked Fuse 7 in the left fuse box and found it to be blown. Thank you Jim from Tucson for pushing me to check again. The break in the fuse wire was so small that I couldn't see it from one side of the fuse, but I could barely see it from the other side of the fuse. I guess I'd looked at it from both sides when I double checked all of them. The multifunction display lit up and I'll give her a start tomorrow hoping all is okay.

Now, what blew the fuse????

Thanks again - It's great how this forum really helps each other.

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    But good idea to check the battery terminals and ground connections. Seems your not getting power to the whole system. How did you check the battery..??

Spyder Garage

Default fuse

Quote Originally Posted by robhowen View Post
    Thanks to all for your suggestions as I'm making progress, and may have it fully resolved. I'll finish up in the morning.

After double checking all of the fuses I again checked Fuse 7 in the left fuse box and found it to be blown. Thank you Jim from Tucson for pushing me to check again. The break in the fuse wire was so small that I couldn't see it from one side of the fuse, but I could barely see it from the other side of the fuse. I guess I'd looked at it from both sides when I double checked all of them. The multifunction display lit up and I'll give her a start tomorrow hoping all is okay.

Now, what blew the fuse????

Thanks again - It's great how this forum really helps each other.

Rob
    homotrons,queer electrons going around the wires blowing fuses. just kidding, couldnt resist, lol

Spyder Garage

Default Rob said his F3 Spyder started perfect this morning; no codes.

The 2014-15 RT's; 2015 F3 Spyders Power from main Power R3 relay (key on) in Left Fusebox (LFB) goes through F7 (10 amp fuse).
    Great that Rob found F7 (10 amp) fuse blown (in Left fuse box); and replaced.
    F7 fuse has a lot of important stuff coming off it:
    wake up TCM
    DLC
    DPS
    Cluster
    Illuminated gauges/switches
    R1 relay for reverse actuator switch; (R1 & R2 relays are ones that I replaced with new ones in my 2014 RT when I had the problem).
    R3 relay cooling fan relay
    (also R2 relay is Pre-start).
    Enjoy.
    Jim

Spyder Garage

Default no display and wont start

My spyder rt 2012 has the same problem today, no screen but power to lights etc and i can't start it, after searching the internet i've just discovered this post... thank you , so hopefully when i go and look at my spyder i will only have a blown fuse. anything else and i'm afraid i will have to pay a mechanic to solve.