Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Not according to Idaho statistics for 5 years, 2009 to 2013, for 127 fatalities. http://idahostar.org/_blog/News_Room/post/preventing/

75% - Cruisers or touring bikes
    70% - Riders 40 years old and older
    67% - Fatalities associated with rider error
    41% - Riders running off the road in a corner
    33% - Alcohol/drug involvement by riders
    21% - Car violating a rider’s right-of-way
    Really interesting statistics from Idaho about motorcycle fatalities. At first glance, especially if you've ever driven on a crowded highway at rush hour, one would suspect that most accidents happen with sports bikes (crotch rockets), as AJ pointed to in the national statistics. But upon closer examination, the Cruiser statistic in Idaho also makes a lot of sense due to some of the other factors mentioned... older riders (a surprisingly high statistic), alcohol, etc. Also, in non-helmet states, it's the cruiser riders who tend to not wear them.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Another One Sadly

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Just for your info... The 2 rear end collisions this year that killed the rider.

http://accidentdatacenter.com/us/mic...lyndon-redford

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...-in-lanaudiere

I have friended the 56 year old man's daughter on FaceBook and when the time is right I plan to ask her what the injuries were to him that caused his death.
    I think it is good for us Spyder riders to know what happens when you get rear ended so possibly we can take some action if we know it is coming.

Right now my theory is to stand up so you come off the Spyder rather than sustain back or neck injuries slamming into the backrest or trunk area.

Bob
    Bob this is very sad and I know it will infuriate you. We sadly lost a great friend the day after Christmas, as a result of complications from an accident that occurred in November of last year. Sandy O'Brien was rear ended by a woman who was too busy texting to look up from her cell phone to see Sandy's RSS stopped at alight. RIP Sandy:

https://sites.google.com/site/sacram...home/sandy.jpg
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Can't be any worse off??

Quote Originally Posted by jwood4242 View Post
    Very interesting concept. I can't see that you'll be any worse off staying with the bike. Like you state "most of us are to old to fly without a parachute"!
    Um, maybe as long as the CanAm stays upright, but my farm tractor has a Roll Over Protection bar on it to protect me if I'm belted in and the tractor flips.

I see no such protection on a Spyder, and my personal preference is to be separated from the machine when it goes belly up.

Now, if somehow I know in advance just what sort of a crash I'll be having today, maybe I'll know whether I want to fasten my seat belt or not, or whether to bother wearing any protective gear.

(sarcasm intended)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If and when the accident occurs: you'll have NO time whatsoever, to decide what you're going to do.
    You're best bet is always to try and keep your head upright, and look where you want to go!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pirate looks at -- View Post
    Bob this is very sad and I know it will infuriate you. We sadly lost a great friend the day after Christmas, as a result of complications from an accident that occurred in November of last year. Sandy O'Brien was rear ended by a woman who was too busy texting to look up from her cell phone to see Sandy's RSS stopped at alight. RIP Sandy:

https://sites.google.com/site/sacram...home/sandy.jpg
    This was one of the reasons I posted this topic:

When I got my Spyder 5 years ago, the second time I rode it I was stopped at a red light.
    I read a great defensive motor cycle book:

http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Mot...le+safety+book

The book stated to always check your mirrors when stopped a light.

Sure enough there was a "person" on "their" cell phone barreling down the road behind me and NOT going to stop for the light. I ran through the red light and pulled over and watched as the person skid to stop for the light. I would have certainly been creamed.

Keep checking your mirrors!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Crisis View Post

When I got my Spyder 5 years ago, the second time I rode it I was stopped at a red light.

Sure enough there was a "person" on "their" cell phone barreling down the road behind me and NOT going to stop for the light. I ran through the red light and pulled over and watched as the person skid to stop for the light. I would have certainly been creamed.

Although I try to maintain situational awareness at all times while on the Spyder, I'm generally of the school that says you cannot worry yourself to death about things that "might" happen. Be careful and aware, but don't worry to the point where riding is not fun. That said, I agree with you that the rear end threat that you just mentioned is very real - especially these days when EVERYONE seems to be on their cell phone. I am trying to make a concerted effort to check my mirrors EVERY time I stop.

Thanks for posting the link to "Proficient Motorcycling". It's a good book and WELL worth the time it takes to read it. Another thing that even Spyder riders should do is take the MSF Safety course that is usually offered free in most states - even if they just do the classroom part of it. I learned a lot there about safety when I was learning to ride.

P.S. Bob, that's a GREAT poster. I love to read the posters on Despair.com, and have bought several items there over the years. (That's not one of theirs, though.)
    Last edited by robmorg; 10-06-2015 at 11:25 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default This has just been posted today on ebay

Saw this on ebay today and it kinda made me emotionally upset about the F3 and I hope owner that bought it is not injured and is well
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-65-CA...item1c5aabb36e
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

This has turned into an interesting thread that has me thinking. Would it be appropriate to start a sticky thread around "safety"? I'm thinking more in the positive sense vs negative ie tips for safe riding, accessories that may enhance your spyder's visibility. Something we can all refer back to from time to time to just keep the seeds planted, especially for those that are new riders. I think of my wife as she will be getting her license and become a first time rider in the next few months. I could see value in pointing her to a sticky thread that has great information from a lot of very experienced riders. It could also provide us with new and innovative safety items and "farkles" that are specifically used towards safety/visibility. The key however is keeping it positive vs scaring someone away completely. A situational experience may deserve it's own thread and any lesson's learned could go into the positive safety thread. Maybe even how doing this avoided that.

Just thinking out loud.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It sure sounds like a good idea!
    I really like your idea about "Keeping it Positive"...

Spyder Garage

After selling Beetle, I bought myself a folding electric bicycle (see my avator pic) to get out and about till I get F3-S. A few weeks ago I did some bicycle training as I have not ridden a bike for over 20 years and I found this has helped me with getting some road sense and building my confidence. I am now considering some motorbike training as I have never been on a motorcycle and feel this could help build some confidence for when I get F3-S. Also I will contact Can Am dealer to find out if I can have a third go at Spyder to refresh getting used to controls etc.
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Good tips have surfaced from time to time--usually as incidents happened and someone avoided disaster.

The idea of having some of the tips, hints, and experiences in one place, may be beneficial. The Do's and Don't of Spyder Riding thread is very popular with all.

Your idea is a good one.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-06-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

This is a personal best for the number of replies!!!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Amen

Unfortunately in this case Sandy was behind another vehicle and there was no where to go. Lesson, always try to leave an escape route.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Not according to Idaho statistics for 5 years, 2009 to 2013, for 127 fatalities. http://idahostar.org/_blog/News_Room/post/preventing/

• 75% - Cruisers or touring bikes
    • 70% - Riders 40 years old and older
    • 67% - Fatalities associated with rider error
    • 41% - Riders running off the road in a corner
    • 33% - Alcohol/drug involvement by riders
    • 21% - Car violating a rider’s right-of-way

Here is a comment about the value of training. http://idahostar.org/BlogRetrieve.as...&ObjectType=55
    Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Really interesting statistics from Idaho about motorcycle fatalities. At first glance, especially if you've ever driven on a crowded highway at rush hour, one would suspect that most accidents happen with sports bikes (crotch rockets), as AJ pointed to in the national statistics. But upon closer examination, the Cruiser statistic in Idaho also makes a lot of sense due to some of the other factors mentioned... older riders (a surprisingly high statistic), alcohol, etc. Also, in non-helmet states, it's the cruiser riders who tend to not wear them.
    I just sent an email to Idaho STAR asking if they can provide more information with regard to the statistics I posted above in #7. Specifically, I asked if they can relate the numbers to the demographics of riders and to miles ridden. Will be interesting to see what they come back with.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Personal best #2, over 1000 views!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well - It sounds like there is interest in creating a sticky or even a sub-forum. Are there moderators on here that could potentially take ownership of starting something, possibly with some thought from others on the format?

I could see it in one of two ways but I'm sure there are others that would have better ideas. They key being something that we can all learn from, newcomers can learn from and it's in a positive way.

1. General Safe Riding - Either a sticky thread that someone has the ability to update or an actual sub-forum.

2. General Safe Riding & Safety Accessories/Mod's - Same as above however the Safety Accessories/Mod's I feel would be better served as a sub-forum for all to post things they see, mod's they've done specifically for safety etc. I realize we have the Spyder Mod's but I feel like there is value in Safety Accessories/Mod's on it's own. I know I find myself specifically looking for those type of things on here.

I'm the new guy so please forgive me if I'm stepping on any toes, I really just wanted to bring more value to all as I think this is such a great site.

Spyder Garage

Are there any stats out for Can Am Spyder accidents or fatalities?
    Thanks
    Not sure on Spyders but when I put a sidecar on my bike people stopped trying to kill me. Bigger more visible.

Spyder Garage

I think stupid, distracted, and unaware drivers will be killing and injuring us even if we are in a cage. Oh--- I forgot all the folks that are in a hurry to get somewhere. Situational awareness really helps. Spyders have really good brakes, as all too many of us know.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If the posts on this forum are any indication, I'd say the injury rate per mile traveled is way lower than 2-wheelers and the fatality rate is virtually zero, if you exclude the mishaps that are unavoidable, such as a direct hit from a cager. The Spyder is stable and is highly unlikely to throw you off, even when running off-road.

My opinion about this is not the prevailing opinion on this forum.
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

An interesting re-read. The OP here goes back to 2015.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member bigbadbrucie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    An interesting re-read. The OP here goes back to 2015.
    Yes, and we even got a reminder of Bob Denman.

Tri-Axis Chrome Handlebars
    Sena SM10 BT Dongle
    Double USB Port/Volt meter
    LaMonster Magic Mirrors
    BajaRon Swaybar
    HALO Skid Plate
    Spyder Pops Rear Running Lights Turn Signals/Brake Light
    Spyder Pops Mirror Running Lights/Turn Signals
    Shorty Antenna
    LaMonster Cat Delete
    Akrapovic Muffler
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Rear Trunk Rack
    Bruce Erickson

Chilliwack, BC
    Canada
    You know when a politician is Lying. It's when his lips are moving!

2014 RTS-SE6 - Cognac

intro to m/c 1949 Royal Enfield 500cc thumper

Spyder Garage

When I last had a 2 wheeler I bought an Alpinestars Tech-Air 5 vest. Some good illustrations of this and other airbag vests on YouTube. Very thankful I had it on last summer on a trip when a deer darted out near Pagosa Springs, CO. He jumped just before frontal impact and took off my right mirror and bent throttle grip. Was so glad to be wearing the vest although not needed then as there was no real impact nor me leaving the bike.

After many years in EMS you just have to have your head on a swivel, using mirrors, leaving an exit point, thinking ahead at all times. I find it actually fun to have all my senses tuned up, maybe a reason we all ride on 2 or 3 wheels. And yes, most any of the motorcycling rider books are good as the safety aspects apply to 3 wheelers in most cases as well, cages for that matter.
    2021 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

The statistics go back to 2015.

If you want current stuff, please start a new thread.

2020 F3L , Magma Red