Spyder Garage

Default RTS To Sell or Keep? (Bajaron Sway Bar)

I purchased a 2012 RTS this spring with 1,900 miles on it. I took my first ride and it was bad it scared the heck out of me all over the road, wind blowing me around. I figured I just need to get used to it. I finaly got up to 65 mph and thought I was going to go off the road and kill my self. Why would any one buy a spyder was beyond me. My next idea was to ride it and I would get used to it. I rode it for 1500 miles and decide I was going to get used to it, I will learn to ride this thing yet. Well after 1500 miles I purchase a 4 sale sign. Wait a minute why don't I try a Bajaron sway bar. I put the sway bar on and on a day with 30 mph winds headed down the interstate I got it up to 75mph then with only one hand on the handlebars sat back and relaxed. I also took both hands off the handle bars for a few seconds. The ride was now great. Its a keeper. What can I say.

Jim

Spyder Garage

Yup the BajaRon sway bar is like magic!

Glad you gave the a chance.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

With out a doubt, the best money you can spend on your Spyder!!!!!! Thanks to BajaRon!!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

Aways nice to hear a success story. Glad you gave it all a last go around and found the magic. Get that laser alignment keep tire pressue equal both side and balanced wheels and your solid...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Aways nice to hear a success story. Glad you gave it all a last go around and found the magic. Get that laser alignment keep tire pressue equal both side and balanced wheels and your solid...
    +1

Spyder Garage

Has the Spyder been laser aligned, partuclularly with the Rolo system. If not, get it done ASAP and you'll have a sweet ride for a long time.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JimboRTS View Post
    I purchased a 2012 RTS this spring with 1,900 miles on it. I took my first ride and it was bad it scared the heck out of me all over the road, wind blowing me around. I figured I just need to get used to it. I finaly got up to 65 mph and thought I was going to go off the road and kill my self. Why would any one buy a spyder was beyond me. My next idea was to ride it and I would get used to it. I rode it for 1500 miles and decide I was going to get used to it, I will learn to ride this thing yet. Well after 1500 miles I purchase a 4 sale sign. Wait a minute why don't I try a Bajaron sway bar. I put the sway bar on and on a day with 30 mph winds headed down the interstate I got it up to 75mph then with only one hand on the handlebars sat back and relaxed. I also took both hands off the handle bars for a few seconds. The ride was now great. Its a keeper. What can I say.

Jim
    In my opinion every older RT needs two things. The Baja Ron sway bar and a vented windshield.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scott16119 View Post
    In my opinion every older RT needs two things. The Baja Ron sway bar and a vented windshield.
    ...and the newer RT's need four things: The BajaRon sway bar, an F4 vented windshield, and one of BajaRon's shock adjusters on each front shock.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Jim
    Jim that IS a great story. I was gonna ask you how much Ron paid you to make that post, ...but I know better.
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    ...and the newer RT's need four things: The BajaRon sway bar, an F4 vented windshield, and one of BajaRon's shock adjusters on each front shock.
    I have the first two things and they are awesome. Haven't felt the need for Ron's shock adjusters though..... not to say I never would.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Jim
    Add Pit Bulls suspension relocators (to emulate the 2013 suspension angles) and you will find a similar improvement in handling on top of what you have already noticed with the sway bar

Spyder Garage

Happy to say that the is not a death machine. The twitchy complaints usually come from over-control, tire pressure issues, the need for a proper alignment, or the addition of a Baja Ron bar.

Once solved, the will track down the road like it is on rails.

Glad you are now happy with yours.

Here is a success story thread currently running:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...nd-Road-Worthy
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 10-04-2015 at 06:07 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I'm very glad you're happy with the handling, but I'm doubtful that the sway bar alone is the solution.
    Don't get me wrong, the earlier Spyders NEEDED the RonBar.
    I've found that the newer Spyders can be made even better still with the RonBar.
    But wandering around the highway the way you describe it sounds like an alignment problem.
    Did you get your Spyder laser aligned as part of the RonBar installation ?
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default Sway Bar

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    I'm very glad you're happy with the handling, but I'm doubtful that the sway bar alone is the solution.
    Don't get me wrong, the earlier Spyders NEEDED the RonBar.
    I've found that the newer Spyders can be made even better still with the RonBar.
    But wandering around the highway the way you describe it sounds like an alignment problem.
    Did you get your Spyder laser aligned as part of the RonBar installation ?
    The closet dealer to do laser alignment is 320 miles. It will have to wait until spring or will look into some one in the Mesa, AZ area to do it in Jan.
    Any comments on the Pit Bulls moving the shocks brackets?

Jim

Spyder Garage

The closet dealer to do laser alignment is 320 miles. It will have to wait until spring or will look into some one in the Mesa, AZ area to do it in Jan.
    Any comments on the Pit Bulls moving the shocks brackets?

Jim
    In 2013 BRP redesigned the frame/suspension of the Spyder to improve handling. One of the changes they made was to stand the shocks up (more vertical, less horizontal). This effectively gives the shock/spring assembly more leverage against suspension movement. Pit Bull made a set of billet aluminum shock relocaters that move the top of the 2008-2012 shocks to the same location that BRP used on the 2013-2015 (and presumably the 2016's as well). This will improve handling using the stock shocks.

These are a worthwhile alternative to installing aftermarket shocks. The interesting thing is, Pit Bull (in conjunction with Elka I believe) came up with this relocation dimension before BRP redesigned the shock mount specs. And they both came to the same mount point.

These are not necessary if you are going to install Elka's or another high quality aftermarket shock.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Jim
    I love your little story !!! It's amazing what one little change can do.
    New heavier sway bar, a must on all Spyders. That and upgraded shocks !!!

Congrats Jim !!! :-)

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

Fortunately for me, I quickly learned my handling problems were cause by holding on to the bars too tightly. Riding from St Louis to the Florida Space Coast quickly cured that problem and I haven't had it since. And, while I've had the laser alignment (about a year ago) I've never had the Baja Ron sway bar installed nor have I felt a need for one.

Maybe I'm lucky and they got my 2011 right the first time.

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC