Very Active Member GaryTheBadger's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 Owner Opinion

This is my unsolicited opinion of the 2015 F3 SE6 after 3000 miles, in comparison to the 2008 GS SE5 that I owned for three years, plus dozens of customer Spyders that I’ve worked on for five years.
    The purpose is to help others who are considering an F3.

Overall I am extremely happy with my F3 and would, without hesitation, recommend it to a first-time Spyder owner or as an upgrade from a GS/RS. BRP got nearly everything right this time!

PROS
    Reliability
    Comfort, adjustable pegs and bars, upright seating, built-in mini-backrest
    Consistent drivetrain performance
    More HP and torque
    Added sixth gear
    Better brakes
    Very stable engine temperature
    Less heat from radiators onto lower legs
    Increased maintenance interval
    Improved fuel mileage
    Optional fuel economy mode
    No wrist or back pain (this made me give up my GS due to its sport-bike posture)
    Fuel tank can be filled from either side
    Can add BRP cruise control to base F3 for about $200 and two hours
    No hard engine re-starting due to heat-soak

CONS
    Loss of 40% front trunk space compared to other models
    Driveline vibration at highway speeds (Will BFR fix?)
    Non-adjustable, too-soft rear shock (Will BRP fix?)
    Passenger foot pegs will not stay in up position (Will BRP fix?)
    Handlebar controls hit and mar the body panels at full-lock
    Low chin, hits speed bumps and driveway entries
    Dim instrument panel turn signal indicator (Fixed! See here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...highlight=muth)
    Black fenders on non-black F3 (Fixed with color-matched fenders)
    Still using incandescent bulbs on a modern $22k+ vehicle!
    High BRP accessory cost, some are poor quality
    Limited body color choices
    Extensive oil level checking process
    Some handlebar switches not backlit, a safety issue
    Ambient temp display always reads too high
    If laser alignment is necessary, why isn't it done at the factory?
    Factory wind protection options inadequate
    Last edited by GaryTheBadger; 04-18-2016 at 08:57 AM.
    Enjoying now: 2015 Spyder F3 SE6, 1970 Indian MM-5A, 1972 Suzuki RV90J Rover, 2017 Indian Chieftain (wife's)
    Wish-I-had-kept-them: 2008 Spyder GS SE-5, 1967 Shelby GT500 w/Paxton supercharger, 1972 DeTomaso Pantera, 1991, 1992 & 2001 Acura NSX's, 2012 V-Star 950 Tourer, various 2-, 3- and 4-wheelers
    2015 F3 SE6 , White - The fastest color!

Spyder Garage

Default Agree

Especially on the headlights and the non-backlit controls. Don't get why either of these decisions were made - would add marginal cost to the bike.

Otherwise, I think it's a great machine as a first tymer.

Spyder Garage

Default Nice review...

great observations. Glad your enjoying your new ryde. you make a great salesman for the F3 but there is just something special about the RS for me .
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Seems perfect timing for your review. I had an F3 demo unit as a loaner while my 09 phantom was being "repaired " at local dealership. I won't get into details as to what my 09 needed but I will say that I was blown away by the F3.
    I have to admit, I was lukewarm to the styling when the F3 was introduced and never would have considered buying one. That is until I actually had one for 5 days. I totally agree with your assessments of the bike. Comfort, power and fun-factor are off the charts imho.
    Now only item holding me back is the cost of purchase. Not that I'm saying price is totally out of line but a $25k cad , toy is not going to pass the spouse test at the moment.
    My 09 is still my baby and couldn't part with it just yet.
    Last edited by SpyderBandit; 10-03-2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: poor grammar

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Oil CheckI came off a Yamaha

I came off a Yamaha Raider had dry sump system basically the same, ride 5 mi stop let idle 30 sec then shut down & check, I usually tried to remember to do it after a ride but most times forgot, only did the 5 mi thing after an oil change.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Very Objective !

Thank you for a clear, unbiased review. For those on the fence, this will help them to make the right decision for them. I enjoyed it and learned much. Two thumbs up.

Spyder Garage

You don't have to buy the more expensive models- I got the Base F3 sm6 for $18,000 and taxes.
    I like how they have made many things easier like checking oil, brake fluids, changing the oil filter without laying on the ground with a torque wrench in your hand and changing the rear bulbs is as hard as taking off the rear seat, No Greasing bushings and No valve adjustments and hopefully a engine that will perform for years.
    That being said my GS was in Great condition when I traded it in with 33,000 miles BUT at 66 I was tired of the crouch rocket position and feeling like I was going to get tossed in a hard corner even with Elka's and the Ron Bar?

The Only Slight Negative to me is that Manually shifting with your feet out in front of You is Not as smooth as Manually shifting my 2012 RT with your feet below you. Downshifting (To Me) is Not as smooth with the lever out in front But upshifting is No different. If your concerned you Might want to consider a SE6 Auto Tranny?

Have over 1,000 Miles.

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

I came from two-wheelers so do not have the personal knowledge for comparison to other Spyders. That said I love the frunk, it is the largest I have ever had. I do not have problems with my handlebars hitting or passenger foot pegs not staying up. My single biggest complaint is the amount of rain we have had since I got mine.

Spyder Garage

Thank you for the write up. It's good to see what people think about the model after they have had a chance to put some miles on it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Excellent Summary

Gary, the only other Cons I would consider:
    Windshield/wind protection
    Ease of mounting & dis-mount

I personally don't have a problem with any of these, but other Spyder riders and new-to-Spyders-riders may have.
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for summary

As a newbie soon to become a F3-S owner, it was good to read your summary because you have experienced just over 2000 miles of this beauty. Blueridge windshield and heated grips are at the top of my options list and by the looks of things the UK dealers have these readily available in stock and if they haven't they are saying around a week to get hold of these options.
    Thanks for your summary on F3.
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Spyder Garage

Default OBSERVATIONS

GOOD OBSERVATIONS......
    however, i disagree with the statement you made:
    "Loss of 40% trunk space"....
    you knew, as i and others, what the
    F3 was prior to purchasing it... if the 40% reduction in storage space was such an issue, you wouldn't have bought this particular item...
    YES, i miss the storage i had in my '09 RS, but i knew i would when i first looked at the F3....
    all-in-all, i'm 100% satisfied with the F3-S, and that's after riding it for 16,000+ miles of smiles since March 1st of this year...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

I've wanted a Spyder since I first saw them back in '09. I had a Mom who was a nurse and wouldn't even let me look at a motorcycle!! Finally talked the wife into letting me get an F3-S this year and I LOVE it!! I love the stability of the reverse trike format and I love the comfortable riding position. I have noticed some really good deals on the F3 right now. I picked one up about 3 weeks ago for $18k out the door. I am glad there is an option out there for those of us who want to ride but are too afraid to learn to ride two wheels......or have a spouse that would NEVER let us learn to ride a two wheeler!! Thanks for the review!!

Spyder Garage

Nice write up by the OP and I respect the opinions and appreciate the candor.

I'd like to share my opinions of my F3.

PROS

Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!

Cons

None
    None
    None
    None
    None
    None
    None
    None
    None
    None

Not trying to be a wise guy. Just being perfectly honest.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

Default DITTO

Quote Originally Posted by HIspyder View Post
    Nice write up by the OP and I respect the opinions and appreciate the candor.

I'd like to share my opinions of my F3.

PROS

Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!
    Fun!

Cons

None
    None
    None
    None
    None
    None
    None
    None
    None
    None

Not trying to be a wise guy. Just being perfectly honest.

DITTO....

Spyder Garage

Default Ahh. . . I see your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    GOOD OBSERVATIONS......
    however, i disagree with the statement you made:
    "Loss of 40% trunk space".... \
    It is NOT a trunk, it is a glove compartment. Still, that is about 60 times more storage space than other motorcycles have.

It is a shock for people who have owned any of the previous models of Spyders. But, if you are like me and love the F3, you will hardly notice it, if at all. Isn't love grand?
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marcojolo View Post
    I've wanted a Spyder since I first saw them back in '09. I had a Mom who was a nurse and wouldn't even let me look at a motorcycle!! Finally talked the wife into letting me get an F3-S this year and I LOVE it!! I love the stability of the reverse trike format and I love the comfortable riding position. I have noticed some really good deals on the F3 right now. I picked one up about 3 weeks ago for $18k out the door. I am glad there is an option out there for those of us who want to ride but are too afraid to learn to ride two wheels......or have a spouse that would NEVER let us learn to ride a two wheeler!! Thanks for the review!!
    Oh marcojolo you make me so JEALOUS - $18K out the door??? Well Done and Enjoy! Here in Oz it's $29K out the door, and given our aud is 75c of the usd at the moment (on a good day) you can do the math... AND I think we earn about the same (tho no analysis done so could be wrong here...) I am so JEALOUS. I had an RS, now have an ST, husband has an F3S (loves it) and I just sat on an F3 with U-Fit system for the first time and am SOOOO tempted by the F3-T (which we may see by mid 2016) --- but here in Oz I'll bet they only bring the Limited in in the SE6 format (I so hope I'm wrong) which at Usd27K translates to .. what's your guess? If USD18K = AUD29k ... hmm. I have a feeling I'll be riding my ST for a few more years yet! If you can figure out that so-ungrammatical sentence you can claim an Award...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Oh marcojolo you make me so JEALOUS - $18K out the door??? Well Done and Enjoy! Here in Oz it's $29K out the door, and given our aud is 75c of the usd at the moment (on a good day) you can do the math... AND I think we earn about the same (tho no analysis done so could be wrong here...) I am so JEALOUS. I had an RS, now have an ST, husband has an F3S (loves it) and I just sat on an F3 with U-Fit system for the first time and am SOOOO tempted by the F3-T (which we may see by mid 2016) --- but here in Oz I'll bet they only bring the Limited in in the SE6 format (I so hope I'm wrong) which at Usd27K translates to .. what's your guess? If USD18K = AUD29k ... hmm. I have a feeling I'll be riding my ST for a few more years yet! If you can figure out that so-ungrammatical sentence you can claim an Award...
    I think one of the reasons I got such a good deal was because I have been lurking on this site for 6 months or so and everybody kept saying to wait until September and there would be great deals to be had.......and I'll be damned if they weren't right!!. I basically got on cycle trader and Ebay and found the best deal I could knowing that I would have to drive somewhere to pick it up......which I was perfectly fine with. If I had any riding experience I would've drove it home........Maybe on my next spyder purchase I can do that. I have dealers around where I live that I can get it serviced at. I feel bad for you guys in Oz.......it seems like everything is more expensive there. I play guitar as well and I notice that in Oz that the really nice guitar that I can get here for $1000usd costs about $2000aud......I don't get why that is but I know if frustrates the hell out of the Aussie guitar players that I know from various message boards!! I really thought about waiting to see if BRP did anything cool to the F3 line before buying but I figured if they did it would just cost me more money and I can always upgrade down the road. The only thing I really want right now is some corbin bags......I figure I get some for $2k and I am still $4k ahead..........

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    DITTO....
    ditto x2
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yep we in Oz pay more ... and govt wants to slap 10% tax on everything bought on-line (currently 10% on everything over AUD 1000 which includes tax on the shipping too!). Oh well, we deal with it.
    I'm thinking maybe F3 with Corbin bags as an alternative to F3T which I suspect will be way expensive here... but we also have horrid rear indicators on alien-looking stems, which can't work with the Corbins. My thinking cap is on re 'flush mounted' indicators on the bags.
    It's always a lot of fun! Love to read everyone's reviews, thanks all.

Spyder Garage

Default Canadian dollars

Australian dealers purchase at Canadian dollar conversions not USA dollars so it's not as bad as it seems.
    australian dealers add a lot of mark up and blame the USA dollar
    the f3 t limited should be cheaper than my fully brp optioned f3s touring escape deal 37k Aust dollars. With heated grips and fox rear shock. Big learning curve for me, I will not buy any brp oem optional item again.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    This is my unsolicited opinion of the 2015 F3 SE6 after 2000 miles, in comparison to the 2008 GS SE5 that I owned for three years, plus dozens of customer Spyders that I’ve worked on for five years.

Overall I am extremely happy with my F3 and would, without hesitation, recommend it to a first-time Spyder owner or as an upgrade from a GS/RS.
    BRP got nearly everything right this time!

PROS
    Reliability
    More HP and torque
    Added sixth gear
    Better brakes
    Improved fuel mileage
    No wrist or back pain (this made me give up my GS due to its sport posture)
    Fuel tank can be filled from either side, while remaining seated on bike
    No hard engine re-starting caused by heat-soak

CONS
    Loss of 40% trunk space
    Driveline vibration at specific speeds (awaiting BFP fix)
    Non-adjustable, too-soft rear shock (awaiting BRP fix)
    Passenger foot pegs will not stay in up position
    Dim instrument panel turn signal indicator (fixed using Muth LED mirror indicators)
    Black fenders on non-black F3 (fixed with color-matched fenders)
    High BRP accessory cost
    Unacceptable saddlebag quality (fixed on 2016 F3-T?)
    The handlebars marring the body panels in the locked position depend on which handlebars you choose. My husband has the stock bars and they don't touch the body panels. I have the "attitude" handlebars and they DO mar the body panel when locked. I've actually stuck on very small clear cabinet bumpers over the spots where the paint was marred. Not a biggy to me, but still -- good for others to be aware. I also have a clear vinyl "bra" over the black paint in front of the seat.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GaryTheBadger View Post
    This is my unsolicited opinion of the 2015 F3 SE6 after 2000 miles, in comparison to the 2008 GS SE5 that I owned for three years, plus dozens of customer Spyders that I’ve worked on for five years.

Overall I am extremely happy with my F3 and would, without hesitation, recommend it to a first-time Spyder owner or as an upgrade from a GS/RS.
    BRP got nearly everything right this time!

PROS
    Reliability
    More HP and torque
    Added sixth gear
    Better brakes
    Improved fuel mileage
    No wrist or back pain (this made me give up my GS due to its sport posture)
    Fuel tank can be filled from either side, while remaining seated on bike
    No hard engine re-starting caused by heat-soak

CONS
    Loss of 40% trunk space
    Driveline vibration at specific speeds (awaiting BFP fix)
    Non-adjustable, too-soft rear shock (awaiting BRP fix)
    Passenger foot pegs will not stay in up position
    Dim instrument panel turn signal indicator (fixed using Muth LED mirror indicators)
    Black fenders on non-black F3 (fixed with color-matched fenders)
    High BRP accessory cost
    Unacceptable saddlebag quality (fixed on 2016 F3-T?)
    Thx for sharing......
    2015 F3 SE6-S
    True Laser Track Alignment
    Bajaron Custom Performance Anti-Sway Bar
    Elka Stage 2 Shocks (Front and Rear)
    Lamonster Performance Exhaust
    Modified Brake Linkage Rear Attachment lowering pedal 1"
    Custom Blue Ridge Modeled Windshield
    Grip Puppies

Some days the supply of available SWEAR WORDS is insufficient to MEET MY DEMANDS.