Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Honda to present Neowing Tilting three wheeler at Tokyo Motor Show

Spyder Garage

Default LEANING

HONDO is making a terrible mistake IMHO.... the wheels need not lean/tilt, and 100 million+ cars and 100,000+ SPYD3Rs, with double A arm front suspension is proof... this technology is being utilized only for 'eye catching' purposes, and marketing - just to be different from CAN AM. This will be too complicated and expensive in the long run. Also, the fact that the front wheels are so close together, give this thing a 'sissy' or MOPED look... they need to spread them out for a more acceptable appearance...
    i wish them luck, as i am a true capitalist, but i fear this will not be accepted by the riding public.
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'd test ride one but there is no storage looks good...jtpollock

Spyder Garage

Interesting. If, and that's a big if, it does make it into production it will no doubt be a success. More performance is possible with the leaning concept.

Spyder Garage

Maybe, but the majority of riders like to lean. This has been a good seller: http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/07...review-photos/

Smooth out the lines and make sure there is decent luggage capacity, and it will sell; many older GW riders will buy them.

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    Interesting. If, and that's a big if, it does make it into production it will no doubt be a success. More performance is possible with the leaning concept.
    +1 - just look at the size of the front brakes (caliper and discs)!

Looks like it is a flat four cylinder - a 1200/1300 engine?

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's cute...
    But it's not for me!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's cute...
    But it's not for me!
    Bob, I doubt I will outlive Mr. Cognac. However, if it runs as well as my Gold Wing, it could be a winner. ha ha

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

They had one of these at my Can-Am dealer and I saw one a very long time ago by my house, I thought they were horrible. Oh well. I would not even want to try it out the wheels seem too close together for my taste....to narrow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Spyder Garage

Piaggio has been around for a while. Some really like them.

Spyder Garage

i like the leaning idea, but it is not very big or wide
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spacetiger View Post

Looks like it is a flat four cylinder - a 1200/1300 engine?

Jerry
    If you follow the link in the OP, you'll see that it does not mention the boxer engine displacement but does say that it would be an hybrid with an electric motor in addition to the obvious gas engine.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This looks great it will sell and will bring younger riders and if they get it right which honda will ,the comments on here make us sound like a (Harley)cult all stuck on our brand and not willing to ride or try anything new ,people have left spyders to go back to 2 wheels because they miss leaning and a good leaning trike will out run everything else in the curves ,as far as storage goes the f3 doesn't have much in the new smaller trunk and millions of bikes had none for many years there are soft saddle bags rear racks and many options, I hope they build it and force the advancement of the breed
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Default It's a looker...

They will all try (big brand names) and some have shelfed their attempts. It is nice and thats a great powerplant. The body style is too jagged much like their sport bike and that market will not be interested in a three wheeler. Because of the leaning hardwear they will not have room to add storage so a bagger will have to be added. It is basically a beefed up piaggio scooter and being a leaner will always need the motorcycle tires up front (you know how long do those last..??) will be interesting to see the test results and if it hit the market it will sell well by name and till Joe public gives it the real test...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Piaggio has been making scooters (250cc, 400cc & 500cc)like this for quite a while. Front wheels are articulating so that it rides like a 2 wheeler only with more traction up front.
    Yamaha has also been experimenting with a similar design, also on a scooter platform. The Piaggio models have a fairly large presence in urban markets in Europe, not so much here in the USA. On the Piaggio models the front wheels will lock in an upright position, if you want it to, so you don't have to put feet down at stops, not sure about other manufacturer's units.
    Just gives us more choices. I chose a Spyder, and my only regret is that I didn't get one sooner, it's a blast to ride!!! Just my $.02.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    They had one of these at my Can-Am dealer and I saw one a very long time ago by my house, I thought they were horrible. Oh well. I would not even want to try it out the wheels seem too close together for my taste....to narrow.
    This is clearly not the same bike, this looks like the piaggio which i hear is doing well in europe where they have lots of cobblestones and small streets. This Honda definitely has more eye appeal, it looks a lot like my sport bike with 3 wheels, and looks like a performance machine to me. Id certainly be interested in trying it. I bet its going to be cheaper on top of it. I do hear a bit of Harley with automatic "it wont be as good as a spyder" thoughts. If we were not into trying new things would we all be riding spyders? The reliability of Honda or Yamaha is unsurpassed and the amount of dealerships would certainly be WAY more. More pluses IMO. I am really curious as to what the price point will be. The F3 with NOTHING, not even a shield starts at 20k so will be interesting, im sure Can am is not happy about it but they had to know it was coming eventually. If this is cheaper or in the same range maybe it will make Can Am rethink their price point as right now they are the only name in the game and feel they can get max dollar on every unit.
    Last edited by latony007; 10-01-2015 at 11:02 AM.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    This is clearly not the same bike, this looks like the piaggio which i hear is doing well in europe where they have lots of cobblestones and small streets. This Honda definitely has more eye appeal, it looks a lot like my sport bike with 3 wheels, and looks like a performance machine to me. Id certainly be interested in trying it. I bet its going to be cheaper on top of it. I do hear a bit of Harley with automatic "it wont be as good as a spyder" thoughts. If we were not into trying new things would we all be riding spyders? The reliability of Honda or Yamaha is unsurpassed and the amount of dealerships would certainly be WAY more. More pluses IMO. I am really curious as to what the price point will be. The F3 with NOTHING, not even a shield starts at 20k so will be interesting, im sure Can am is not happy about it but they had to know it was coming eventually. If this is cheaper or in the same range maybe it will make Can Am rethink their price point as right now they are the only name in the game and feel they can get max dollar on every unit.
    I knew it wasn't the same but someone else posted a link to the Piaggio so I posted my pics too. I think the Honda is very cool actually and I would like to try it out, it would be a good second bike for me possibly if they make it here to Mexico. If not, then it is a non issue for me. But it seems like it would be alot of fun to drive. I am not closed to other options, I don't like the Piaggio because it is so narrow but this is wider and more my piece of cake. I just don't do 2 wheels. I am curious about the price point as well, being everything is more here in Mexico well that is important to me. Yes Can-Am had to know that someone would do that, and they should have done it first. The 2016 lineup is just poor. To me anyway.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like it. As long as the performance was there this could be what the RS(S) evolves into as far as I'm concerned. The styling is actually very similar to the Ski-Doo's and Sea Doo's in my opinion. Honda has done a better job styling a "Spyder" to look like the other Can-Am product lines better than Can-Am itself has.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I think it is very cool! As far as storage goes, they can easily adapt some bags to it like they have on their sport touring model bikes. When you consider how useless the storage is on the F3 without saddle bags, it is a looker. I have tank bags that hold more than the frunk on the F3.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    I watched a guy dump a Piaggio when coming to a stop sign here in Eagle River. Saw it in the for sale ads on CL about a week later.

Only thing hurt was the drivers pride--in that situation.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

When I saw the article on Yahoo, just before coming here, I figured you folks would have this dissected pretty good.

It is pretty much inevitable that another major manufacturer would come out with a reverse trike. It has just taken awhile for Can Am to get more established and show there is a market for such a critter. The big boys have let Can Am do most of the work testing the market and putting out four versions of the .

I note that a four cylinder engine with back up electric is mentioned. Sounds a bit hybrid to me. Since its prototype, no information about engine size or running statistics.

Cost is another issue. Do they price it below Can Am in order to get a foot in the market--or--do they charge what the market will bear?

Honda is a well respected company. Am guessing that if they build it, the customers will come.

At this point in time, I am thinking I am sticking with Can Am. An 1800 RT/Goldwing tourer may be big bait for some though--if Honda builds something like that.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

As I said in the other thread I will keep my RT for me and the wife,she doesn't like to lean. This or something like it I would get for myself and ride like a borrowed horse. That just looks like too much fun and yes I do like to lean. It was hard to stop after 50 years.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I owned a Piaggio MP3 500 for about three years. The scooter is a real hoot to ride, and tracks like its on rails. It also has a very low center of gravity so it's very stable.

So, why did I sell it a few months ago?

1- my wife doesn't like to lean, so she wouldn't ride it

2- there is not much room for your legs if you are taller

3- I couldn't find a windshield option to prevent head buffeting above about 50 mph.

4- the big one for me was Piaggio's uncomfortable seat. It contains a rider interlock switch, and the only company that would modify the seat was Russell. For what it was going to cost, I would spend 25 percent of the scooter's value, send it to CA, and hope they got it right. If not, I would have to buy another seat.

If I had been able to solve these issues at a reasonable cost I might have kept it. I scraped both sides (center stand warns you on one side, muffler shroud on the other) in the twisties on many occasions.

i believe there is a market segment for trikes that lean.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have no doubt that since it's a Honda; it'll do everything about as well as it could...
    However...
    Why buy a Trike that WILL tip over if you forget to put down a foot?
    If you want your motorcycle to handle just like a motorcycle; why not just buy a motorcycle?

I have no doubt, that this thing could make a barrel-full of monkeys seem like an accountant's convention. But it just seems as if it wants to be everything to everybody...

...just sayin'...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-01-2015 at 05:57 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I will reserve judgement on this trike until such time as the specs become available. If this prototype ever reaches production it will be geared to those riders who want to spend a few more years in the seat without worrying about dropping a 1000 lb. two wheeler in the middle of a parking lot. There is a growing aftermarket for Goldwing trike conversion kits and Honda, looking at the demographics of its riders, may have decided the timing is right to enter the trike marketplace.

A tilting trike, with stability and safety thrown in, as well as a huge product fan base.......sounds like a formula for success.

It is not a Can Am Spyder, or a Harley, or a Piaggio, etc. It will be what it will be...or not. Brand loyalty is powerful, and if this new product is eventually launched many of our Goldwing friends may slide on over to the land of the three wheelers.