Thread: 2014 hea issues

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 hea issues

My wife and I both have a 2014 RT-S and we both complain about the amount of heat at the front of the seat, (crotch area), does anyone else think that it gets very hot in that area while riding? If so what have people done to eliminate this heat issue.

Spyder Garage

No heat issues in the seat area, or anywhere else, on my 2014 RT-S. Also none on the 2011 RT.

With the addition of the second radiator and reversing fans, heat issues were supposed to be pretty much resolved.

Prior to installing my KOTT grills, The leaves and road debris did pile up on the radiators. The air vents seemed to be a wonderful sucking machine.

Have you had your Tupperware off to check what may be causing your problem?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Solution to your problem

Quote Originally Posted by David2562 View Post
    My wife and I both have a 2014 RT-S and we both complain about the amount of heat at the front of the seat, (crotch area), does anyone else think that it gets very hot in that area while riding? If so what have people done to eliminate this heat issue.
    There is a cheap fix that will get rid of the heat. See attached link. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...kit-on-2014-RT

Send me a pm with your E-Mail address and I'll send you the procedure to install the scoops.

Doc
    Last edited by Doc - Riverside; 09-30-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Get the 2013 scoops, worked on our 2012.http://www.powersportswarehouse.com/...P//219800388/1
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No heat issues with my 2014...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 14 does suffer from this but my 11 was really bad. I fixed it by making a heat reflector that went in-front of the seat and attacked to the frame. I made it out of foil faced heat blanket material, same type used under the hood on cars. This reflected the heat back and down under the gas tank where it found its way out via the back tire. 100% cure.

Spyder Garage

My 2014 has the same issue. Not so much since I use an airhawk. It seems most of the heat is coming around the compartment while moving down the road. If you open it while driving you can feel a good amount of heat being pushed out.

Spyder Garage

Default Yep I get the heat at the glove box

Quote Originally Posted by bluestratos View Post
    My 14 does suffer from this but my 11 was really bad. I fixed it by making a heat reflector that went in-front of the seat and attacked to the frame. I made it out of foil faced heat blanket material, same type used under the hood on cars. This reflected the heat back and down under the gas tank where it found its way out via the back tire. 100% cure.
    Hey Blue, Got any pics of your fix? Sounds nice and cheap. I may go the air scoop route, but for now if that works it will be great.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

Man...I thought I was crazy thinking my were getting roasted!!! Yes...it gets hot "down there"!!!

Glad I am not imagining things and someone else is experiencing this.

Spyder Garage

Default Wifes' '014 had the same problem

No where near as bad as on my '013 and after the fix on mine we had the same air scops installed on her bike. Problem fixed! Really don't understand why BRP isn't putting them on every RT from this point out.

Spyder Garage

Default Hot crotch...

My wife has a 2013 RTL and had extreme heat and gas fumes, the problem was corrected with the recall.
    I recently purchased a 2015 RTS, i had no extreme heat issue like the 2013s but I did notice a "hot crotch" .... when I had my 3000 mile service I had the recall vents installed, it was a definate improvement.

Spyder Garage

I've never noticed an inordinate amount of heat from the glove box or seat area.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Question

Haven't noticed any heat on my "14 RT-S.

High heat around "there" will cause ::::

Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The vents for the 2013 will help. She if your dealer will install them.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These are motorcycles, and you're sitting right behind an engine...
    If there's no heat; it just ain't running!
    I'm sorry if I don't sound sympathetic, but what exactly are you looking for?

Spyder Garage

Yes, I have the hot crotch issue as well. Noticed it immediately after getting the machine back in early '14. I went online and searched for insulation material with sticky backing, thin enough that some could be slipped up under the tupperware just in front of your crotch, along with a some extended back a ways. Also added some under the forward part of the seat.

This does not prevent all of the heat by any means, but it was sufficient enough that there is no more discomfort.

More recently, I exchanged my regular seat for a BRP Comfort seat which allowed me to sit back a little further.
    Hadn't thought about it but haven't noticed much heat since then. Thats an expensive addition so I wouldn't recommend it simply to help alleviate heat.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

I had the same issues on my 15 RTS. Heat was coming out the crotch area so much, sweat was dripping down my chest.
    I also put on the (2013 fix) air scoops. They took away all the heat.
    Also, I can use the glove box now and I think the scoops look great on the bike.

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

My 2014 has NEVER had any heat coming from this area at all. I have never rode a motorcycle either so I imagine if it did I would speak up. I figure there would be heat somewhere, well frankly the heat that I feel is "ME" haha, I am just a hot blooded female (yikes) and I sweat very easily although I have gotten more used to it (all the equipment all the time) and now I feel ok now. But no, the 2014 does not and I imagine should not have heat coming off of this area no matter what, something is wrong there........

Spyder Garage

My "glove box" gets hot, but no heat issues in the rider's area.
    2020 RTL SE6

Previously 2008 GS SM5 and 2014 RT SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Air Scoops for heat issue. Yes!

Me To Service Manager: I’ve been seeing on the forums where BRP has been supplying the air scoops for other year model RT”s Having some heat issues. Anything to this?

Service Manager: Yes sir they are, we can get you fixed up on that, just call in and set an appointment.

I'm going to do this as soon as I can. Dealership is a 6 hour drive away for me.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TexAmRider View Post
    Me To Service Manager: I’ve been seeing on the forums where BRP has been supplying the air scoops for other year model RT”s Having some heat issues. Anything to this?

Service Manager: Yes sir they are, we can get you fixed up on that, just call in and set an appointment.

I'm going to do this as soon as I can. Dealership is a 6 hour drive away for me.
    Before you drive 6 hours to get the scoops put on, I would call them back and make sure that BRP is covering the scoops.
    I thought that the scoop fix was for 2013 and older RT's (your signature says you have a 2014).
    I just don't want you to be surprised (and possibly pissed) after you drive all that way and then they tell you that they are charging you for scoops + labor.

Tommy J.
    Last edited by fireplug98; 10-01-2015 at 01:51 PM.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    These are motorcycles, and you're sitting right behind an engine...
    If there's no heat; it just ain't running!
    I'm sorry if I don't sound sympathetic, but what exactly are you looking for?
    I have ridden motorcycles for a lot of years, and yes you do get a lot of engine heat off any bike, but the amount heat coming off of this is a little to much

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad that you understand where I was coming from with my comments. These bikes are just as often being ridden by a first-timer, as they are by a "grizzled old veteran"...

...And sometimes the newbies expect it to be just like their Lexus!