Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gas cap

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lwe6576 View Post
    There is no choice as to switching it out since it is attached to the Spyder, not something that screws off. It stays attached and you would have to be a gorilla to get it to close and lock. I used a hammer to pound on mine and finally got it seated to the point the key would turn back to take it out. I don't know what the solution is. Am taking it to the dealer.
    You used a hammer??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

It took my husband and I ten minutes to get the thing closed at the gas station this morning. I was at the dealer 20 minutes later and they put some silicone spray on it. They basically said it's just the way it is. Of course their mechanic didn't have much of a problem.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

It's vapor lock. Let it set for a minute and let the pressure bled off the good part is you have a really good seal. Be happy for that

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

P.s. try not to fill it all the way up to the bottom of the neck of the tank. Leave some room for back pressure when u close the cap.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Locking Gas Lid F3

Quote Originally Posted by one2doo View Post
    I turn the key when I close mine.
    You must not have a defective one like a lot of other people. Opened mine to put gas treatment in it since it had been sitting for so long and couldn't get it to turn back so I could take the key out. Took a hammer to it and it seated and I was able to turn the key and get it out.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You used a hammer??
    I did, not a regular hammer, but a plastic coated hammer with weights in it. Don't know what it's called. I kept hitting the lid until I could turn the key and get it out. I had messed with it for 2 days and was very frustrated. Being a female who is a senior citizen, I don't have the strength a man has in my hands and my husband was not able to help me as he was recuperating from surgery. So it is going to the dealer tomorrow to get fixed. Shame you spend that much money on something and it is defective. Lucky I haven't been riding it and going to get gas and not being able to get back home. Not a good situation. Lots and lots of complaints about it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trucker1 View Post
    It's vapor lock. Let it set for a minute and let the pressure bled off the good part is you have a really good seal. Be happy for that
    I let mine sit for 2 days and it still wouldn't close all the way so I could turn the key. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. The tank was not full when I opened it in the garage, thank goodness I was in the garage, and I didn't fill it up with the gas treatment so your theory couldn't be correct.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NewHornist View Post
    ...I was at the dealer 20 minutes later and they put some silicone spray on it...
    What did they spray; the gasket material?
    Or did they just "hose down" the latching mechanism with it?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Gas is petroleum based

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post
    I would caution against oil on the gasket. If the oil is petroleum based, it may rot the gasket. In place of oil use silicone spray or gel which will not rot the gasket.

Chris
    I don't think oil will hurt the gasket because the gas it seals in is petroleum based

Spyder Garage

Wow what a novel idea, except what is on these models is not a cap. It is a lid, with a hinge that has to be pressed down on to seat it. I had to use a hammer to pound on mine with my other hand on the key so I could turn it once it was seated. I would love to have something other than a lid on a hinge. I don't know who came up with this idea, but it sucks. I tried for 2 days to lock my lid after putting something in the gas since the Spyder had been sitting for so long without being ridden. It had nothing to do with putting gas in it, or topping it off, just opening and trying to close it. It will be going back to the dealer because it is horrible to not be able to get the key out. I would have to carry a hammer with me.
    You
    do understand that lubrication of mechanical parts is part of basic maintenance, right? There is nothing wrong with the F3 gas lid design. Its MUCH improved from the under seat arrangement on the earlier bikes and has a lock too.

Try lubricating the mechanism and it will likely work fine unless you hammer trick damaged it.

Wow, lid will not close, get a hammer.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow what a novel idea, except what is on these models is not a cap. It is a lid, with a hinge that has to be pressed down on to seat it. I had to use a hammer to pound on mine with my other hand on the key so I could turn it once it was seated. I would love to have something other than a lid on a hinge. I don't know who came up with this idea, but it sucks. I tried for 2 days to lock my lid after putting something in the gas since the Spyder had been sitting for so long without being ridden. It had nothing to do with putting gas in it, or topping it off, just opening and trying to close it. It will be going back to the dealer because it is horrible to not be able to get the key out. I would have to carry a hammer with me.
    How do you post a picture? I was going to post a picture of what the locking gas lid looks like. I haven't seen anyone else post a picture of it so people would know what it looks like and that it is built into the gas tank.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Here is what the gas lid looks like. Sorry, but the pictures turned sideways sort of. The tab that is lifted to expose the place where you insert the key is towards the seat. There isn't much room left to press down on the lid with the key in the locking/unlocking mechanism and with the flip up part. That's why I tried a hammer and it worked, but I can't carry a hammer with me to close it every time I get gas. Going to the dealer today.

LockingGasLid.JPGLockingGasLid3.JPG

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    You
    do understand that lubrication of mechanical parts is part of basic maintenance, right? There is nothing wrong with the F3 gas lid design. Its MUCH improved from the under seat arrangement on the earlier bikes and has a lock too.

Try lubricating the mechanism and it will likely work fine unless you hammer trick damaged it.

Wow, lid will not close, get a hammer.
    You may not have a problem, but there are others on here who are having a problem. Going to the dealer today to see what they say or can do about it. Also contacted BRP about the problem. Some people on here don't realize that the lid is a part of the gas tank.
    LockingGasLid3.JPGLockingGasLid.JPG

Spyder Garage

I did, not a regular hammer, but a plastic coated hammer with weights in it. Don't know what it's called. I kept hitting the lid until I could turn the key and get it out. I had messed with it for 2 days and was very frustrated. Being a female who is a senior citizen, I don't have the strength a man has in my hands and my husband was not able to help me as he was recuperating from surgery. So it is going to the dealer tomorrow to get fixed. Shame you spend that much money on something and it is defective. Lucky I haven't been riding it and going to get gas and not being able to get back home. Not a good situation. Lots and lots of complaints about it.
    I took mine to the dealer yesterday and they didn't have any solution except putting some silicone on the latch and the gasket. The fellow who was working on it really didn't have much of a problem getting it shut but we're talking young guy versus female senior citizen. I am going to bring my spare key with me when I ride in case I break the key trying to close the cap. If they don't have some sensor that checks if the cap is locked I should also be able to ride with the key in the gas cap in the open position with the cap closed. Please let us know if your dealer is able to fix this.

Spyder Garage

I now use 2 cycle oil on the gasket works great and easy to carry with you.
    SpYderman

Spyder Garage

If it's any help the technique I use to close it is to place to put a thumb on each side of the lock and then lean my weight down on the cap. It will then 'click' shut and I can turn and remove the key.

I don't put any pressure on the key itself.
    | 2015 F3-S | Heated Grips | USB Ports | RAM X-Grip | RT Sway Bar | '2 Up' Rear Shock | SHAD Bag Kit | Oxford Aqua 50 Dry Bag | BRP Rider Backrest |

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was told to use the cover lever to push down on and it will work fine. It was stiff the first dozen times I filled up, but it is not bad at all now. Haven't used any lube.

Spyder Garage

You may not have a problem, but there are others on here who are having a problem. Going to the dealer today to see what they say or can do about it. Also contacted BRP about the problem. Some people on here don't realize that the lid is a part of the gas tank.
    LockingGasLid3.JPGLockingGasLid.JPG

It
    just needs to be lubricated. I have worked on and 'fixed' a large number of these for our customers. Lubrication is basic motorcycle maintenance, not a repair. It does seem BRP did not lubricate well at assembly in the plant as they all seem to need it. But once lubricated, they all seem to work fine and easily.

Just a word of warning, do not hammer on it or push down on the key itself. It will break and its not a cheap part to replace.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fencepost View Post
    I now use 2 cycle oil on the gasket works great and easy to carry with you.
    The
    problem is not the gasket as much as the slide mechanism in the latch. Spray some teflon lubricant on the slide mechanism and work it back and forth to distribute the lube. The latch will work much better. Its seems to need lubrication about every 6 months.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

These are on many 2 wheelers.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboymorton View Post
    If it's any help the technique I use to close it is to place to put a thumb on each side of the lock and then lean my weight down on the cap. It will then 'click' shut and I can turn and remove the key.

I don't put any pressure on the key itself.
    That really is all it takes! Hammer, really?????
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Default Fuel Cap Closure Difficulty

Since purchase in July 2016 my fuel cap has been difficult to secure, was misaligned when closed, and emitted fuel vapors when sniffed at close range. Dealer set to repair and told me intended to replace entire fuel tank assembly and ignition so they would be keyed alike. I was told I would have to leave overnight. I have a lot of add on lights which are attached to panels which presented an issue which would have added service time hours in excess of what BRP would pay. So instead they replaced the fuel cap/fill tube assembly and keyed the fuel cap lock and ignition to match. It solved my problem and I am completely satisfied. Well placed fit, easy to close, no vapors. Before repair it was like yours, required a strong push down to close and lock.