Thread: Front Brakes

Spyder Garage

Default Front Brakes

Been using the "Search" function to find info about removing the pads from the front calipers. I want to add some "Anti-Squeal" to stop or quiet the squeal on the front of our bike. Anyone have suggestions or can point me to a Video?
    Thanks, Kent.
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by remark2013 View Post
    Been using the "Search" function to find info about removing the pads from the front calipers. I want to add some "Anti-Squeal" to stop or quiet the squeal on the front of our bike. Anyone have suggestions or can point me to a Video?
    Thanks, Kent.
    I mentioned it at the end of this thread

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...p-as-I-can-get
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I mentioned it at the end of this thread

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...p-as-I-can-get
    Looked at that thread and didn't pick up on what I am looking for and not entirely sure what it is you were referencing for me to check out. Thanks Magdave, I might just be "Thick in the Head". :-)

Kent.
    Ride Safe All
    2014 RT Limited (Charlotte) in Cognac, Kuryakyn Grips,Tri-Axis Handle Bars, Rivco Armrests, a "finless" BT Dongle, TricLed Fender, Saddlebag, 3rd & 4th brake Lights, Custom Dynamics "Magic Strobes Brake Flasher", BajaRon Sway Bar & Spring Adjusters, Lighted Bumpskid, Rivco Highway Pegs, Rivco Cup Holders and Baker Built Air Wings. 215/60R-15 General Altimax Rt rear tire. 155/60R15 Kumho Solus front tires.

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Kent.

Just take off the front wheels and go for it! Of all the things that are hard to take apart and re assemble on a Spyder the front brakes and calipers are not. They are EASY and simple.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    Just take off the front wheels and go for it! Of all the things that are hard to take apart and re assemble on a Spyder the front brakes and calipers are not. They are EASY and simple.
    Wont be able to give this a try until tomorrow night, but that's usually how I do my mechanic work, just dive right in!
    Ride Safe All

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck!!
    We'll be expecting a full report...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Here's what you do..!!

from your profile it would seem you have the new brembo brakes (2014 RT). These are designed to where you can remove the pads without removing the calipers. Open your resevoir and suck out a bit of fluid then push the pads apart to where they are loose so you can remove them. Coat reinstall then do the other side (one side at a time) then replace fluid and pump the pedal...sounds easy.. it is just take your time... oh....and let us know if it helps...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I like to do as much of my own work as possible but my Spyder, like yours, is under warranty. I paid for it and in this case would use it. My brakes don't squeak, neither should yours.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Looked at that thread and didn't pick up on what I am looking for and not entirely sure what it is you were referencing for me to check out. Thanks Magdave, I might just be "Thick in the Head". :-)

Kent.
    Read from post #32 on a good bit of info and good pictures.
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-can-get/page2
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I like to do as much of my own work as possible but my Spyder, like yours, is under warranty. I paid for it and in this case would use it. My brakes don't squeak, neither should yours.
    It's true the Bike is under "Warranty" however closest dealer is 100mi away and is much faster for me to do some of the "easy" stuff on my own.
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Default front brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    from your profile it would seem you have the new brembo brakes (2014 RT). These are designed to where you can remove the pads without removing the calipers. Open your resevoir and suck out a bit of fluid then push the pads apart to where they are loose so you can remove them. Coat reinstall then do the other side (one side at a time) then replace fluid and pump the pedal...sounds easy.. it is just take your time... oh....and let us know if it helps...

Go ahead as stated before. Just don't let the service manual procedures scare you. They would have you hook up the buds computer system and bleed the brakes in a complicated maneuver involving multiple pressure categories and what have you. Just don't get any air in the lines and it will work out fine. Don't forget that the last 40% of brake pad thickness has one half the total brake pad life left. I checked mine at 35000 kms and still 40% pad left so I will run it another 10000 km before changing the pads which I have already bought

Bob

Spyder Garage

When I go to retract the pistons into the caliper, do they need to be screwed in or do they push in?
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Before you tear into the brakes, take it out on the road, get up to speed and hit the brakes as hard as you dare. Do this a time or two and see if that doesn't stop the squealing.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    Before you tear into the brakes, take it out on the road, get up to speed and hit the brakes as hard as you dare. Do this a time or two and see if that doesn't stop the squealing.

ulflyer; I have done this very thing numerous times and the brakes still squeal like mad. Thanks for the suggestion though, never hurts to suggest new ideas, Kent.
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Sounds like its time for new pads. Let us know how the old one looked, pics if you can, and and how many miles on them.

I think many of us are probably getting close to the point of needing new pads. I looked at my rear one yesterday and its getting pretty thin...at least the one on the inside was...and I have 22K on them.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

IF they are not worn out

"The pad is indeed squeaking from it's interaction with the rotor, much like the chilling squeak you got in school from the chalk/blackboard thing. It sets up an extremely high frequency vibration that pierces ear drums and calls dogs from miles around.
    What the Disc Brake Quiet (Blue Snot) does can be understood two ways.
    It acts as a dampening layer which isolates the pad. or
    It acts as an adhesive which bonds it to it's corresponding caliper, effectively changing the mass of the shoe causing it's natural resonance frequency to drop to the inaudible range. It can vibrate all it wants, nobody will hear it."

Spyder Garage

Default Squeaky brakes

Thanks, Kent.
    Years ago when disc brakes became standard on many bikes, squealing brakes were a big problem. I solved it for the brands I was servicing by putting a thin piece of pipe gasket between the pads and pistons, this eliminated the vibration squeak . The gasket material is very thin and hard, ask a pipe fitter and he will tell you what to get and where..........

Spyder Garage

Done! Only did the fronts.
    Sorry no pictures.
    Bike has 11,500 mi. and guessing pads are abut half warn.
    Used the Spray on "Disk Quit" and sprayed the back side of each pad as well as both sides of the metal spring that is supposed to prevent the squeal.
    We are heading out on about a 300 mi. trip to check out the fall colors in Southern Colorado, along the "Million Dollar Highway", this weekend and I'll report back....................... if it lasted.
    Kent
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Done! Only did the fronts.
    Sorry no pictures.
    Bike has 11,500 mi. and guessing pads are abut half warn.
    Used the Spray on "Disk Quit" and sprayed the back side of each pad as well as both sides of the metal spring that is supposed to prevent the squeal.
    We are heading out on about a 300 mi. trip to check out the fall colors in Southern Colorado, along the "Million Dollar Highway", this weekend and I'll report back....................... if it lasted.
    Kent
    Should work be safe out there.

Spyder Garage

Fronts made it the entire trip ~650 mi. nice and quiet! Rode Red Mountain Pass without a sound! Should have done the rear brake pads as well, they were squeaking as bad as the fronts!

Kent.
    Ride Safe All

Spyder Garage

Fronts made it the entire trip ~650 mi. nice and quiet! Rode Red Mountain Pass without a sound! Should have done the rear brake pads as well, they were squeaking as bad as the fronts!

Kent.
    I tell people Spyder brakes are noisy and use Disc Quiet but some people just do not get it. Glad it worked for you.