Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default First Service cost

I know prices vary from dealer to dealer and parts of the country as compared to others but is there a reasonable range as to what the first service costs ? (2014 RT SM6) I know it is a long list of things to check but check is the actual word, at 3,000 miles most of the items are still fine, I know as I've checked already.

The quote I just got from the local dealer just blew my mind !

And they are going to tie up the machine for "at least" TWO days !
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Default Huh?

I have the same question. What's up? The 4600 mile service on my 2014 STS was $500.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

dealers need to make lots of money !!

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My 3k miles service was under $250 and was done while I waited, which was just over two hours and they adjusted the belt also.

Spyder Garage

Mine was $255 and didn't take more than two hours. My dealership is great time-wise, never need an appointment, just call a couple of days ahead to tell them I'm coming, arrive at opening time, 9:00 a.m., and am on way home well before lunch.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

$275 - $350 is about the average for a first service

Others will pay less, some will pay more.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default FIRST SERVICE

My dealer here In southern Ohio did my 2013 first service for $175.00, and did It while I waited..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STELLING MAN View Post
    My dealer here In southern Ohio did my 2013 first service for $175.00, and did It while I waited..

And they all could do that and still make a profit, BUT...................

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Thanks guys, sort of what I thought. For those who wish to know, my quote was $548 and two days !
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    $275 - $350 is about the average for a first service

Others will pay less, some will pay more.

Cruzr Joe
    Same here on cost. My local dealer does book appointments. I bring it in at 9:00 AM and its always done by 4:00 PM. They give me a ride back home and pick me up when its ready. Five miles each way.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Same here on cost. My local dealer does book appointments. I bring it in at 9:00 AM and its always done by 4:00 PM. They give me a ride back home and pick me up when its ready. Five miles each way.
    Everytime a dealer thread pops up i get irritated. Mine wanted 400+ to change the oil and inspect the lights and belt etc. Really? the lights are on so they work, i can touch the belt myself and see if its tight enough. I said screw it and changed the oil in about half an hour and i am mechanically inept. I also flushed the coolant and gods knows what they would have wanted to add that to the service.
    Whoever got the 175 service i am going to drive up to OH and get a service next time!
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    Thanks guys, sort of what I thought. For those who wish to know, my quote was $548 and two days !
    WOW ...... hope you get a hug and a kiss ... if you pay that absurd price ..

osm

Spyder Garage

$145.00 3000 mile service without oil change plus $140.00 for laser alignment.

No complaints

Gunner

Spyder Garage

Just had my 3000 mi done here in Connecticut. $340

Spyder Garage

The great dealer in Alexandria, Louisiana charged me $185 for my 3,000 mile service. I left my 2015 RT Limited for about 4 hours and it was ready. Great dealer!
    Zapps
    Zapps
    Pollock, Louisiana
    2015 RT Limited Pearl White

Spyder Garage

No hug, no kiss and I'm not bending over either.

Will find another dealer or DIY, document the hell out of it and take my chances on warranty issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    WOW ...... hope you get a hug and a kiss ... if you pay that absurd price ..

osm

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

The green manuals from online have the added feature of the flat rate schedule. This is what brp recommends the dealers charge for work done. It is quoted in hours/min...x... Your shops posted hourly rate = what you should be charged. The only varience would be the shops hourly rate. This is a good way to see what your shop is doing. Whatch for those pesky little add ons like waste disposal, shop rags, cleaning products replace stripped screw (who the stripped the screw) etc...we here in CA get hammered.. one reason I do it myself well that and I worked many a shop...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If these guys are taking two days to do what others do in half a day, they need to find better techs. 16 hours at $35 an hour equates to my quote, lets see, $35 x 4 hours is $140, give an extra hour for glitches, $175 yep, that's about right !

I actually think the $35 is low but that's what the math for THAT dealer says. Seems with better techs they could do more work, less expensively and still make money but what do I know...

Guess they charge what the market will bear and many attitudes are , "If you have to ask what it costs you can't afford it." That's NOT the issue, the issue is there are dealers, and there are stealers.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The green manuals from online have the added feature of the flat rate schedule. This is what brp recommends the dealers charge for work done. It is quoted in hours/min...x... Your shops posted hourly rate = what you should be charged. The only varience would be the shops hourly rate. This is a good way to see what your shop is doing. Whatch for those pesky little add ons like waste disposal, shop rags, cleaning products replace stripped screw (who the stripped the screw) etc...we here in CA get hammered.. one reason I do it myself well that and I worked many a shop...

Spyder Garage

If these guys are taking two days to do what others do in half a day, they need to find better techs. 16 hours at $35 an hour equates to my quote, lets see, $35 x 4 hours is $140, give an extra hour for glitches, $175 yep, that's about right !

I actually think the $35 is low but that's what the math for THAT dealer says. Seems with better techs they could do more work, less expensively and still make money but what do I know...

Guess they charge what the market will bear and many attitudes are , "If you have to ask what it costs you can't afford it." That's NOT the issue, the issue is there are dealers, and there are stealers.
    Most dealers have their per hour rate posted. Many are in the $100 range. Mine charges $110 per hour.

Charging per hour while the is collecting dust waiting--not a good move IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Columbus Ga is just a few hours. They charged me $198 while you wait.

Spyder Garage

I know prices vary from dealer to dealer and parts of the country as compared to others but is there a reasonable range as to what the first service costs ? (2014 RT SM6) I know it is a long list of things to check but check is the actual word, at 3,000 miles most of the items are still fine, I know as I've checked already.

The quote I just got from the local dealer just blew my mind !

And they are going to tie up the machine for "at least" TWO days !
    my dealer charged me $168 for my first service at 3000 mile checkup which was also performed.

It was done in about 3 hours.

Spyder Garage

65.00 an hour in my garage...good to go
    JIM EVANS
    2014 RTL, cb,all panels color matched over 300 LEDs, pass armrests sat radio chrome WS brkt, larger w.s, more to come

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M T Pockets View Post
    Just had my 3000 mi done here in Connecticut. $340
    Which dealer?
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

The dealer I've been using since I bought the spyder there charged me about 350 for the first service and 500 for the second. I also had a rear tire replaced on the 2nd service and the total was just under 900. Really like the mechanic they have but the cost is outrageous. Not a lot to choose from in this area tho for warranty issues.

Spyder Garage

Post First Service Cost

My dealer first service charge was $226. Their hourly rate is $80 a hour. Their service charges are posted and they charge $400 for the 9300 miles service.

I didn't know that the charges for the Can Am would be so much if I did I might not have purchased it.

Blade