Spyder Garage

Default Help! haha, I know you know brakes and maybe you can help me out?

Hi Bajaron! How you doing, I am Laura Brito (just bought the sway bar and rock guard) anyway, maybe this will also help someone else. Can you check out this thread if you have a moment? http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...p-as-I-can-get
    I am a bit worried that after taking my bike to be checked for the Brake Failure Screen of Death that they did not put it back together right? I was able to get out my brake pads without hardly any effort and WITHOUT removing the calipers. Does this seem right to you? I have it taken apart out there at the moment, and before I put it together I want to be sure so I don't have a problem! I appreciate your help so much! Thank YOU!
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Spyder Garage

Not Ron, but try this on for size in the meantime.

These Brembo Brake Calipers that the 2013 on Spyders run up front were designed to let you remove the & replace the brake pads without taking the caliper off!!

Once the wheel is off, you should be able to see a pin with a spring clip on it running across the top of the caliper. Remove the spring clip & using the right sized Torx fitting (in the tool kit) unscrew & then remove that pin. Then remove the anti vibration/rattle clip that sits on top of the pads, once they are all gone, it should just be a matter of grabbing the top of a pad & firmly pulling it clear of the caliper, then do the same to the other one.

Once they're off/out, & after making sure that the caps are off the master cylinders (under the seat) & that they won't overflow, you can use a smooth lever or tool without any sharp edges to press the pistons back into the calipers. Be careful not to damage the sides of the pistons ore the rubber seal that protects the gap between them & the caliper. When the pistons are pushed back in, you should be able to slide new pads in, 1 on either side of the disc (don't laugh!!) then refit the anti-vib/rattle plate, slide the locking pin back in thru the holes in the top of the pad backing & the slot in that rattle plate, & screw it back in before putting the little spring clip thingy back on the pin into its slot. Check the brake fluid in the master cylinders, put the caps back on, wheels back on, & before you turn the bike on, apply the brakes a few times to take up any slack in the gap between pads & disc. Then recheck the brake fluid level & once it's topped up, take the Spyder out for a gentle ride, applying the brakes progressively at least a half a dozen times to bed them in properly (generally the new new brake pad box will have any specific instructions on that inside it, if they are necessary/different to the usual brake pad bedding in process) & then your Spyder is right to go!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-25-2015 at 10:28 PM.