Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake Question

I think a hand brake on the left side of my 14 ST-Ltd would be a great addition so I started looking. The only one I have found is about $1200, more that I would like to spend right now.

Has anyone seen a mechanical hand brake? ie a brake handle connected to the brake pedal via a cable?

Any ideas?

Spyder Garage

Hand brake additions I have seen, all seem to be a "slave cylinder" kind of deal, and are major $$.

My real curiosity, if you don't mind, is why LEFT hand ?
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4 MARIE View Post
    Hand brake additions I have seen, all seem to be a "slave cylinder" kind of deal, and are major $$.

My real curiosity, if you don't mind, is why LEFT hand ?
    Just thinking that with the paddle shifter on the left, it might be more convenient but either side would work fine, it's the $1200 price tags that makes me think its not worth it. Sure would be nice though!

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

you would have to have a custom job. I only know of the one you mentioned and it is expensive. If your coming from bikes with front and rear brakes this single sysytem, same as your car, is hard to get used to. Once you do you will have no problem but some never do then its expensive or finding someone to build you something...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    you would have to have a custom job. I only know of the one you mentioned and it is expensive. If your coming from bikes with front and rear brakes this single sysytem, same as your car, is hard to get used to. Once you do you will have no problem but some never do then its expensive or finding someone to build you something...
    It's more a matter of convenience. When using the highway pegs, it would be easier and safer to have a hand brake to access quickly rather than repositioning your foot and feeling for the brake pedal under all the Tupperware. Just my opinion.

Spyder Garage

I know that early on there were folks who adapter a cable system to provide a hand brake lever on the right side that was attached to the pedal. I believe the general coincidences was that they didn't apply much braking force and the cables tended to stretch. Then ISCI came up with their offering, a hydraulic system that moves the brake pedal when the hand lever is squeezed. Every review I have read on it was that they product was top notch. It does not open the original Spyder brake system, but does employ it when used. But... it is very expensive. http://www.isciride.com/
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MarkLawson View Post
    I know that early on there were folks who adapter a cable system to provide a hand brake lever on the right side that was attached to the pedal. I believe the general coincidences was that they didn't apply much braking force and the cables tended to stretch. Then ISCI came up with their offering, a hydraulic system that moves the brake pedal when the hand lever is squeezed. Every review I have read on it was that they product was top notch. It does not open the original Spyder brake system, but does employ it when used. But... it is very expensive. http://www.isciride.com/
    Makes sense, cables do stretch and there may not be enough leverage without the hydraulic system. I guess if I want it that bad, I should just spend the money. I always say, "You can't put a price tag on pleasure".

Thanks to all for the replies

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BruceA View Post
    Makes sense, cables do stretch and there may not be enough leverage without the hydraulic system. I guess if I want it that bad, I should just spend the money. I always say, "You can't put a price tag on pleasure".

Thanks to all for the replies

Bruce:

My wife had the ISCI braking system installed on her RT. It is engineered for the right side. She found that due to nerve damage in her right arm that she could not apply enough pressure with her right hand to activate the system (It takes a lot of pull to activate something that works with leg pressure).

We visited ISCI in Montgomery, AL and they designed a way to move it to the left side. Since they would have to invert the brake cylinder to switch sides (not a good idea) they worked in a Harley-Davidson clutch cylinder that was designed for the left side and mated it to their system. It worked very well for her.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Bruce:

My wife had the ISCI braking system installed on her RT. It is engineered for the right side. She found that due to nerve damage in her right arm that she could not apply enough pressure with her right hand to activate the system (It takes a lot of pull to activate something that works with leg pressure).

We visited ISCI in Montgomery, AL and they designed a way to move it to the left side. Since they would have to invert the brake cylinder to switch sides (not a good idea) they worked in a Harley-Davidson clutch cylinder that was designed for the left side and mated it to their system. It worked very well for her.
    Thank you for the reply, very helpful.

Spyder Garage

Default Doc Humphrey

Is working on a handbrake kit.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BruceA View Post
    It's more a matter of convenience. When using the highway pegs, it would be easier and safer to have a hand brake to access quickly rather than repositioning your foot and feeling for the brake pedal under all the Tupperware. Just my opinion.
    The very reason I added the hand brake. Yes it is costly, but what price do you put on safety?
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    Is working on a handbrake kit.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    The very reason I added the hand brake. Yes it is costly, but what price do you put on safety?
    Well said!

Spyder Garage

Took me a while to find the original thread but there was someone who made up their own Handbrake and they posted information on how they did it:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ulic+handbrake

It's one of those "one day I'll look into that" things on my list of mods.

I know one rider who made their own version sourcing from breakers. Lever, cables etc were pretty easy but it took him a couple of goes to find a slave cylinder that applied enough pressure.

Like the thread above he made his a secondary way to brake, so he didn't tap directly into the brake system and the foot brake would still work as designed if his system failed.

Of course the ISC version is a similar approach, you pay for the assurance that it will work properly and that's mitigating factor to the cost.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Took me a while to find the original thread but there was someone who made up their own Handbrake and they posted information on how they did it:
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ulic+handbrake

It's one of those "one day I'll look into that" things on my list of mods.

I know one rider who made their own version sourcing from breakers. Lever, cables etc were pretty easy but it took him a couple of goes to find a slave cylinder that applied enough pressure.

Like the thread above he made his a secondary way to brake, so he didn't tap directly into the brake system and the foot brake would still work as designed if his system failed.

Of course the ISC version is a similar approach, you pay for the assurance that it will work properly and that's mitigating factor to the cost.
    I built this one in the above post it took a bit of time and fiddling but it works good I have 2 spyders so 1100 x2 was a lot if brp would just add it into all production the cost at that level wouldn't be much others have commented that it's not needed and you will get used to it without one, the hy peg Is one legitimate argument here is a couple more ,you have put your spyder in neutral to roll it around in shop you are on the right side standing moving it and it is headed for something can't put foot on brake while standing , same for unloading off a incline or ramp nice to be able to stand beside and roll off a ramp gently holding the hand brake plus bikes have always had a hand brake brp should buck up the few dollars it would cost at the production level and put it on, if those of you who deem it not needed don't use it fine but if it was there you would use it sometimes I'm sure
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    I built this one in the above post it took a bit of time and fiddling but it works good I have 2 spyders so 1100 x2 was a lot if brp would just add it into all production the cost at that level wouldn't be much others have commented that it's not needed and you will get used to it without one, the hy peg Is one legitimate argument here is a couple more ,you have put your spyder in neutral to roll it around in shop you are on the right side standing moving it and it is headed for something can't put foot on brake while standing , same for unloading off a incline or ramp nice to be able to stand beside and roll off a ramp gently holding the hand brake plus bikes have always had a hand brake brp should buck up the few dollars it would cost at the production level and put it on, if those of you who deem it not needed don't use it fine but if it was there you would use it sometimes I'm sure
    Did you use the slave cylinder mentioned in that thread or something else? I've not been able to find the ones mentioned there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PistonBlown View Post
    Did you use the slave cylinder mentioned in that thread or something else? I've not been able to find the ones mentioned there.
    Yes I did Coleman racing the biggest differance I had to make was in the bracket I had to angle brace it as the footpeg bracket flexed when the slave pushed also the master and lever was very tite with the perch switches some minor filing required
    Last edited by r1100rider; 09-24-2015 at 10:04 AM.
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Bruce:

I would be very interested in moving my brake lever to the left side. I have the ISCI kit on the right and at times I struggle with letting the throttle snap back closed while applying brakes. I like the brake on the left and the throttle on the right. Don't care what the biker protocol is
    2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS convertible. 2017 GMC Sierra cc diesel. 2017 Arctic cat RR 137 ES

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You might want to ask about adding a brake to the left grip in the "Enabled SpyderLovers" section.
    Often there are some pretty amazing adaptations possible, and the riders know where to find them!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    Yes I did Coleman racing the biggest differance I had to make was in the bracket I had to angle brace it as the footpeg bracket flexed when the slave pushed also the master and lever was very tite with the perch switches some minor filing required
    Thanks mate. Finally managed to find a company that would ship one to NZ for US$110 inc shipping, most either wouldn't ship at all or wanted US$200+. Have also ordered up one of the Honda XS master cylinders - I'll have to add a spacer like 'trikester' mentions in the original thread as I have standard bars on mine but that shouldn't be an issue.

Looking at the original picture I'd already thought I may mount some sort of plate on the inside of foot peg bracket as it looked a bit flimsy so sounds like that's probably a good idea from what you've said.