Thread: Back Rest Issue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Back Rest Issue

I just purchased a new-to-me 2014 RT Limited. It came with BRP backrest. I can't figure out a way to adjust this thing. It sits too straight up for me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Also, where is a good place to buy oil change kits? From what I can gather, the videos make a big deal out of BRP oil being 70% synthetic. Why is that better than using Mobil 1 full synthetic?

Thanks.

Spyder Garage

That backrest is not adjustable. Cheapest place to get oil change kits is Baja Rob. He is a sponsor on here.
    14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl

Spyder Garage

Didn't BRP just release an 'Adjustable Driver's Backrest' retro fit for 2015's & earlier, with an Adjustable Driver's Backrest available as an option on all the 2016 RT's?

Regardless, there were a couple of threads around showing how different people adjusted their OE Backrest angle to suit - shouldn't be too hard to find!

Spyder Garage

Welcome txhood.

Spyder Garage

Default New adjustable backrest retrofit

Apparently the part isn't available till December someone posted a day or so ago. I'm hoping Santa puts one under my tree for Xmas.
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can buy oil change kits from BajaRon, a spyderlovers sponsor. Go to the home page and you can click on his ad. Sounds like you will have to wait a little bit for the backrest kit but I'm sure it will be worth it.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

you can adjust the Driver's back rest a little by adding washers underneath the seat between the seat and the backrest bracket on the back end, i have added a 1/2 inch washer on each side and now the backrest feels good to me.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP back rest adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    you can adjust the Driver's back rest a little by adding washers underneath the seat between the seat and the backrest bracket on the back end, i have added a 1/2 inch washer on each side and now the backrest feels good to me.

Cruzr Joe

I had the same problem as you...I fixed mine the same way as Joe...You need to add the spacers under the rear two back rest mounting bolts under the seat to make it lean back...Just loosen the front two bolts and remove the rear two bolts and add spacers as needed, then tighten all 4 bolts...The original bolts should be long enough...larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I had the same problem as you...I fixed mine the same way as Joe...You need to add the spacers under the rear two back rest mounting bolts under the seat to make it lean back...Just loosen the front two bolts and remove the rear two bolts and add spacers as needed, then tighten all 4 bolts...The original bolts should be long enough...larryd
    Did a little grinding on the drivers backrest and not much more comfortable.

Pat "EAGLE27"

2016 F3 Limited
    Ultimate drivers backrest, baja ron sway bar, LED headlights, Wolo horn, highway pegs from Pitfall, trailer hitch and 590 GPS