Thread: lights ?

Spyder Garage

Default lights ?

I have a friend who just bought a 2011 RT. It is his first so he doesn't know much about them. We were riding the other night and I noticed his headlights were in my opinion not working right. When he was behind me and went down a hill and changed angle to me they would turn blue and when we got on flat road they would go back to white. When he pulls up to a wall about 5 feet from it there is a blue line up about 3 1/2 feet. It is dark above the line and light below it. He told me that when he was behind me that the light was cut off in the middle of my back. It is so pronounced that when he goes down a hill he cannot see up till the starts up. Is that the way they are? If not what would cause it?

Spyder Garage

Default Not Sure. Mine does the same.

My RTL does the same thing. I pull up against a white fence when I park at night, and have noticed a distinct blue line at the top of the head light beam. I just assume this is normal. If you adjust the beam to go higher, you will probaly get a lot of bright light flashes from on coming traffic. You can get some add on running lights to assist with night driving and distant lighting if needed. I'm not running the HD lights, but have no issues.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcasey View Post
    ...changed angle to me they would turn blue and when we got on flat road they would go back to white.
    It's the curtain. Pull up to a wall as your friend has done and switch on the high beam which does nothing more than raise the curtain. That's the clunk you hear when you do so. The curtain also accounts, IMHO, for people in front of you thinking you are flashing your lights at them. I've had more than one person pull over as a result so I try to stay well behind using the "blue line" as a guide.
    Last edited by 2 Cruysyn; 09-21-2015 at 10:20 AM.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was wondering why people have pulled over when I was out on the spyder..More at night I get that happening..

The color changes are normal..

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just noticed that to, this past weekend. I was behind a silver van coming up to the stoplight and noticed from the reflection coming off the van that my lights had some blue in them. I guess that is normal.
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

I have experienced the pulling over also. Is there a way to keep the lights from doing unnecessary flashing?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perfectly normal...
    These headlights do produce some "funkiness" at the edges of their beams...
    There's nothing that you can do about it, other than to raise or lower your ride height in an attempt to keep it from bothering other drivers.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Normal....

as mentioned, these machines (not all) use a shutter system for high and low beam. The bulbs are single filament and to work as both the shutter cuts off the upper part of the beam for low and opens the upper for high. The thing is the shutter is not fixed solid and has tendancy to bounce...some RT's with the sunset will seem to flash red and blue ...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

If you do a lot of night driving, a height adjustment may be good so that you can operate both in the high and low beam mode without the "flashing light" appearance that you speak of above.

I have noticed the flashing light syndrome even in the daytime when Linda rides behind me with low beams on.

We now ride with high beams on all the time. I get flashed maybe a couple times a month, but even the police do not bother me about it.

We do not ride in the dark. Our main riding season (April - September) has lots of daylight and I don't ride much beyond 10:00 at night. When I ride in Sept/Oct, it is during the light of day. When it gets dark out--it is nasty cold--not great for riding.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red