Thread: spyder RT junk

Spyder Garage

Default spyder RT junk

I have a 2010 RT this bike has had so many problems is't not funny . the lasted is a tholedbody stopped working on my home on an 5000 mi. tripe the coast to repair is around $1000.00 the bike only has 22000 miles on it I have had to replace the drive belt the coast to keep a spyder on the road way to high I have had other bikes with way more miles on them without any problems I am not a spyder lover after all and I wanted to be so bad as for as I am concerned I don't like this bike at all

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by clayw View Post
    I have a 2010 RT this bike has had so many problems is't not funny . the lasted is a tholedbody stopped working on my home on an 5000 mi. tripe the coast to repair is around $1000.00 the bike only has 22000 miles on it I have had to replace the drive belt the coast to keep a spyder on the road way to high I have had other bikes with way more miles on them without any problems I am not a spyder lover after all and I wanted to be so bad as for as I am concerned I don't like this bike at all
    "And THAT'S the way it is"

​Chris

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There was a recall on those TB's did yours get done?

Spyder Garage

Default I called can am

Magdave;1038346]There was a recall on those TB's did yours get done?

the person I talk to told me to bad I just have a POS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Who'd you talk to??
    BRP has been every good about replacing the Throttle bodies in the 2010 bikes.
    (I had 2 of them go bad)
    As a first year effort; they did have more than their fair share of issues. Once you get the kinks worked out of them; they're perfectly good bikes.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Throttle Body Replacement

Hi Guys !
    I'm up in Ontario Canada & just had my 2nd Throttle Body Replaced. The 1st one was @ 3840 km (2400 miles) & the 2nd one @ 18000kms (11250 miles). After working with the dealer BRP replaced it under 99% Warranty. This is on a 2010 RTS.
    Good Luck !

Spyder Garage

Default TB

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Who'd you talk to??
    BRP has been every good about replacing the Throttle bodies in the 2010 bikes.
    (I had 2 of them go bad)
    As a first year effort; they did have more than their fair share of issues. Once you get the kinks worked out of them; they're perfectly good bikes.

I caled can am off the web sight number after I got home I don't know who I talk to I was on a long trip and had to bring the bike home in a u haul it is in my garage now broke down no one told me about a recall on the TB

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear of your bad experience with a 2010 RT. I got one of the Premier Editions (#474). Was very pleased with it. Drove it for four seasons and put 36,500 miles on it. There are quite a few others that have way more miles (50K +). I did have the throttle body fixed under warranty. It had "hot start" issues prior to the TB fix--none after that.

Drove it all over Alaska (far from dealers or places to get it fixed). Never had it strand me one time.

Sometimes the dealer is to blame. They don't know diddley about and don't care. The reply you got a POS--if it was from a dealer--would be indicative.

Have bought two since the 2010 and am still a happy camper.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is a BRP rep here on the forum you might try Steve

BRPcare

Join DateJun 2013LocationQuébec, CanadaPosts116Post Thanks / Like Thanks (Given)28Thanks (Received)650Likes (Given)66Likes (Received)601

JCThorne,

Please send your VIN to brp.care@brp.com so that we can try and help you get this sorted out once and for all before your trip.

Thanks,

Steve

Steven M.
    Customer Satisfaction, Social Media / Dealer Tech Support Team Lead
    BRP

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sorry to hear..!!

know your really upset at the moment. Taking care of problems is best done with a good dealer who works well with brp and your getting in touch with the right person and getting a case number. If you don't ever go to a dealer who will hook up to buds and find the updates, bulletins and recalls for your unit its hard to know those internal fixes. If you bought it used you will not know as well. You can run your vin# through brp or dealer and find out. Hope they get you fixed up and back on the road. 22,000 is a good run and I'm sure they weren't all bad miles....
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    know your really upset at the moment. Taking care of problems is best done with a good dealer who works well with brp and your getting in touch with the right person and getting a case number. If you don't ever go to a dealer who will hook up to buds and find the updates, bulletins and recalls for your unit its hard to know those internal fixes. If you bought it used you will not know as well. You can run your vin# through brp or dealer and find out. Hope they get you fixed up and back on the road. 22,000 is a good run and I'm sure they weren't all bad miles....
    on the Can-Am website there is a place to run your Vin #. Would that site tell you if you have had all the recalls done or if they had been done? Maybe he could start there.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All updates, bulletins and recalls done by dealer are reported and on record.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Only recalls with VIN #

Quote Originally Posted by SL Ken View Post
    on the Can-Am website there is a place to run your Vin #. Would that site tell you if you have had all the recalls done or if they had been done? Maybe he could start there.
    The BRP site will only show recalls with a VIN #. A quality dealership can run your machine on the BUDS system to look at everything that's been done. If your dealership will not help you, find another shop. Not all technical service bulletins (TSBs) will show up. Also, just because there is a TSB does not necessarily mean that you must have it performed on your machine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I caled can am off the web sight number...
    Where did you find a number on their website?
    I just looked, and couldn't find any...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Where did you find a number on their website?
    I just looked, and couldn't find any...

under contact us

Spyder Garage

procaliber motor sports did a recall ck. and found no recall on the tb.

Spyder Garage

procaliber motor sports did a recall ck. and found no recall on the tb.
    If you are able to get your bike to Pro Caliber, you should have Shawn Smoak have a look at it.

Gunner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner3773 View Post
    If you are able to get your bike to Pro Caliber, you should have Shawn Smoak have a look at it.

Gunner
    100% one of the best Spyder guys out there. Take your complaints to them at Pro Caliber.You can whine or you can act BRP has been known to help people in your position,

Spyder Garage

A five year old RV (let's face it the Spyder isn't as much of a motorcycle as it is an RV) requires attention before it gets crispy around the the edges.

I recently purchased a used RT myself, got it for a song and realized I would be putting money into it. The original poster didn't mention any of the history. So, if you want a trouble free (or at least charge free) then buy something under warranty.

Not trying to be less than welcoming but get real.