Spyder Garage

Default All alarms are off...!!!

It has been some time since I last posted in the forum.

Due to work and moving from one place to another, I have not been able to ride my 2009 SE5 for a long time.

Lately I have installed a new battery and kept it fine with a Battery Tender.

About 10 days ago I decided to ride the Spyder, but after some warming up and some short test rides to check everything, all "alarms" went off.

First the brake-failure light went on and the message across the dashboard appeared, surely caused by low brake-fluid level in the reservoirs.

As I continued test-riding it and checking everything else, the SE5 suddenly went into "limp-mode", and the VSS, and dynamic steering system warning lights lit up, along with the brake-failure light and "check-engine" message.

I am guessing that is some sort of electrical problem, perhaps caused by a loose cable, or a damaged relay.

Need some help from the fellow riders...

BTW, no BRP Spyder dealers in this country, so that is not an option.
    "Limitations only exist in the mind..."

Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Check your battery

Pull off the plastic and check the battery connections. This may seem simplistic, but a poor connection at the battery may cause all the problems that you mentioned.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Are you sure that he new battery was fully charged? A battery tender will not fully charge a battery and short runs won't either. JME

Spyder Garage

Pull the codes. Brake stuck on will cause most if not all of what you mentioned. Pedal stuck will do the same.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

seeing as it started with the brakes I would start there...did you ryde with your foot on the pedal..? Check the fluid level and the sesor switches. Check the brake switch and the brakelight bulbs. Shut her down remove the key and let he sit for at least a half hour. See if thinks are back to normal. If not move on to the battery connections, ground connections etc. Now if it was fine before the battery change one would suspect that to be the problem...retrace your steps
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It sounds to me like the posters above have all given great information. Please let us know when you get it figured out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Unhappy Still the same..., minus the brakes' alarms...

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    It sounds to me like the posters above have all given great information. Please let us know when you get it figured out.
    Changed the rear brake-pads, bled the system, topped-off the reservoirs..., all this while having the battery disconnected (both poles).

The brakes' warnings (lights and messages) are now off..., but the rest (all of them) still appear, and after a short while, the RS goes back into limp-mode.

Now I really need educated help... Please..., pretty please...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pilo View Post
    Changed the rear brake-pads, bled the system, topped-off the reservoirs..., all this while having the battery disconnected (both poles).

The brakes' warnings (lights and messages) are now off..., but the rest (all of them) still appear, and after a short while, the RS goes back into limp-mode.

Now I really need educated help... Please..., pretty please...
    You need to pull code(s)
    Crank your spyder set mode to total hours (not trip hrs). Hold down the mode button and flash your high beams 5 times (within 2 seconds) it will show code(s) if there are any. Post them here and should be able to help more.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ssd View Post
    You need to pull code(s)
    Crank your spyder set mode to total hours (not trip hrs). Hold down the mode button and flash your high beams 5 times (within 2 seconds) it will show code(s) if there are any. Post them here and should be able to help more.
    Dear Ssd:

Did as you instructed me and..., lo and behold...: "No active fault codes". At that moment the RS was just parked, idling, with no lights / warnings showing.

I will ride it around the neighbourhood to see if the alarms / warnings show up again (including limp-home mode), and if so, I will try to pull those codes (if any...)

Sounds reasonable...?
    Last edited by Pilo; 12-21-2015 at 04:45 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Check your battery connections before you take that ride...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Check your battery connections before you take that ride...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Already tightened those connections up after finishing the brake job.

Battery tender has been connected continuously while not riding the RS.

Today, before cranking it up, I disconnected the Battery Tender, and checked battery voltage: 13 volts...
    Last edited by Pilo; 12-26-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Spyder Garage

Once again a battery with a bad cell can read full voltage. It just won't hold it very long. Try turning the key on for 15 min and check again.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    Once again a battery with a bad cell can read full voltage. It just won't hold it very long. Try turning the key on for 15 min and check again.
    Battery is brand new...

Spyder Garage

Default Did it again...

Rode the RS around the neighbourhood..., and in less than 5 minutes all hell broke loose again (minus the brake failure lights / warnings), and went into limp-mode.

Pulled the codes:

0 C0044
    1 P2545
    2 U0122

What gives...?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

All else fails , ask a friend who is mechanically inclined or a trip to the dealer. Good luck

Spyder Garage

At this point I would say you have a bad DPS, VCM or VCM wiring that is what all the codes point to Sounds like dealer time.

C0044
    Error in Brake pressure switch or sensor failure

P2545
    VSS Light ON
    VSS CAN message missing
    VSS plausibility error
    VCM internal counter error
    VSS message counter error
    VCM internal error
    Damaged circuit wires
    Check for VCM fault

U0122
    DPS - VCM Communication Fault - Damaged circuit wires, damaged VCM or damaged DPS/VCM pins
    Last edited by Magdave; 12-24-2015 at 11:21 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

YIKES, Sounds like SPYDER MA GEDDON to me. DEALER TRIP highly recommended. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Hi SPYDERGUY1,

Re: DEALER TRIP highly recommended.

Some you may have missed this in his OP: BTW, no BRP Spyder dealers in this country,so that is not an option.

Jerry Baumchen
    Last edited by JerryB; 12-27-2015 at 05:28 PM.
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Rode the RS around the neighbourhood..., and in less than 5 minutes all hell broke loose again (minus the brake failure lights / warnings), and went into limp-mode.

Pulled the codes:

0 C0044
    1 P2545
    2 U0122

What gives...?
    OK first off check your tail light connectors and bulbs. P2545 and C0040 Simultaneous Faults These faults when occurring are likely to be caused by disconnected or burnt taillight bulbs.
    U0122 has 2 faults
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JerryB View Post
    Hi SPYDERGUY1,

Re: DEALER TRIP highly recommended.

Some you may have missed this in his OP: BTW, no BRP Spyder dealers in this country,so that is not an option.

Jerry Baumchen

http://www.brp.com/en-us/company/brp.../latin-america

http://www.brp.com/en-us/company/brp...ership-network

IMHO this is not a shade tree fixable issue. He needs to contact BRP for the nearest dealer http://www.brp.com/en-us/company/con...find-a-contact The Caribbean Islands, Central America and South America
    T: 1.954.846.1442

Spyder Garage

Default Long time has passed...

Quote Originally Posted by Ssd View Post
    OK first off check your tail light connectors and bulbs. P2545 and C0040 Simultaneous Faults These faults when occurring are likely to be caused by disconnected or burnt taillight bulbs.U0122 has 2 faults
    Been out and far away again for another job assignment. Spent very little time around the SE5. During this off time period the Battery Tender was connected to the batery terminals.

Just started its engine, let it warm up, and went on a short trip around the neighborhood; and again all the alarms were off...

Came back home "limping" and started checking the Spyder around while the engine was still on. Lo and behold, both rear lights did not work, and when pressing the brake pedal nothing else happened.

Night was approaching and I had to prepare my suitcase for another rotational trip, so I just switched it off.

Next time I am around I will try to fix the rear lights, but it looked strange to me that both lights were not functioning.

What gives...? Just these two lights causing all that trouble...?

Spyder Garage

.... What gives...? Just these two lights causing all that trouble...?
    Could be!! The Spyder 'computer' checks the brakes via the rear lights - if the lights don't work it assumes you've got NO brakes, so limp home mode kicks in!!

Good Luck!