Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    That's very similar to how I respond, except I don't have the cane.

"When you get to be my age, and have ridden motorcycles for as long as I have, you'll understand. It's either stay in the wind on three wheels, or retire to the rocking chair. I chose to stay in the wind."

Pam

I've been riding since 1969... started with a used '68 BSA Thunderbolt 650cc, a new Honda 750cc in the early 70's, a new Honda Goldwing 1000cc in '75, a new Honda Goldwing Interstate 1100cc in '80, a new Honda Goldwing 1200cc SE-i in '86, a new Honda Nighthawk 650cc in '85... totaled by a co-worker, who took it for a test ride and when he turned back onto my street and slid on some street grit n the curve... replaced with a new '86 Honda Nighthawk 700cc. Rode until the mid-90's and had to give it up and sold it out. Why? Went for a day ride... 2 hours to destination, had lunch and revisited the'hood where I worked for 4 years, was almost home and pulled up to a stop and started to move my foot off the foot-peg at the light and my pal, Arthr Itis, said let's play a game... I'l bet you can't get your foot off the peg on onto the pavement before you fall over. He almost won. Took 3 tries #$^&*@! but got'er down. Decided I didn't qualify as a safe rider any more and sold out. Just the current rides, not the accessory stuff. Fast forward. Remarried in '99 to an OR trauma nurse who said she'd never ride with me. Wasn't a problem until '06 (being a 'retired' rider didn't mean I couldn't stay current on what was out there!) when I stumbled across a Honda Big Ruckus 650cc (ssshhh... it's a scooter, not a motorcycle) in the show room). Perfect physical fit for me. And, logically, a perfect work commuter that would save on gas expenses. And it is light weight and an automatic. Sold. No problems. Fast forward.In 2012 +/- , my wife says to me "If you want me to ride with you, I will." Shock! Okay. So I introduced her to riding on the BR, starting in the 'hood of familiar streets at slow speeds, to several increments of speed and traffic. She loved it. The final qualifying ride was cross-town to Iron Pony (if you're ever in Columbus...go there!) on city streets. Return visit was on the Outer Belt.When we stopped at the off ramp, she leaned forward and asked me if I knew how fast we had been going. No, why? ;>) She gleefully said "We were doing 80 mph"! She was SOLD!! That lead to looking at a motorcycle for us. A Goldwing (sorry, I loved them) was now too big, too tall, too heavy. So were other touring bikes. Hello, Spyder. We can ride! Fast forward. Health issues...she can't ride anymore. Health issue: arthritis... I can, for about 2 hours. Not quite like riding straight through to Daytona. Or New Orelans to Cincinnati. Ah, the good ol' days! And I still have the BR, just in case. But I plan on riding until they pry the handlebars from my cold, dead hands.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i tell them that i like day trips & being comfortable

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I totaled a touring cruiser with the help of a dog. Only broke ribs, but my wife said "No more!" (don't know how the dog came out, but I hope it hurt as much as I did)

At first I thought the Spyder was a compromise, but after 300 miles I decided that I liked it better. Smooth, quiet, safe(r). No more hoping I don't put my foot down wrong when I'm supporting 90 lbs. Less worry when the pavement looks slick. Better option than two wheels to pull a lightweight trailer (like my hobie kayak). Still out in the open on a saddle with handlebars. The RT Limited required less farkling than most bikes, but still had a place for me to mount my phone, add a TPMS, etc.

Bottom line, I love it. It's my best option. Most people like these bikes, I don't care if others don't.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I tell people I'd rather keep riding than sit at home and complain about not being able to.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I usually do 10,000 miles a year on 2 wheels. For the relatively short New England riding season, that's more than average. My wife always rode with me as a passenger. After a long day in the saddle, the Goldwing felt extra heavy when in traffic, and my braking suffered. Not wanting to dump the 'Wing with her on it, I decided to go to three wheels. The Spyder is less expensive than a Goldwing trike and much better with fuel mileage. Plus, mama has a trike license and loves to drive it.
    Spyders are fun....more stable in traffic and low speed driving, safer in the rain. But for me, they don't provide the maximum enjoyment that 2 wheels do.

Spyder Garage

The main reason I ride it? It looks cool as hell and I appreciate the engineering. I'd ridden two wheelers on and off since my first (Honda CB 550) back in 1980. I was seriously thinking of buying a Goldwing when our company got an opportunity to pitch work (we build web sites) to this Canadian company called BRP. We lost the pitch but BRP won a new customer. That was in January, 2011.
    2014 Spyder RT LTD, 2010 RT-622

Spyder Garage

The short answer is "I need training wheels since I'm just a youngster." [emoji1] The shorter answer is "It's what I like."

Folks on Harleys always tend to ask why not a Harley trike. The honest answer is that when I'm on a conventional trike, all my senses tell me it's two wheeled and my natural instinct is to counter steer due to many years of muscle memory riding motorcycles. With a spyder, my brain sees the two wheels in front and steers correctly in a panic situation. Sometimes I add that I sold my Harley two wheeler because I just liked the spyder better or that I can brake AND turn far better than a conventional trike due to physics. Then I compliment them on how shiny their chrome is and all is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

I tell them, I could have bought two of your bikes for what I paid for this one......and I don't have room in the garage! But seriously both my wife and I rode two wheels years ago, but once we sold the bikes we had no desire to go back to riding. We were going on a weekend vacation and there was a place that rented spyders and we thought it would be a hoot to give it a try as something unique to do, and we didn't need a motorcycle endorsement. Turns out the rental company had closed down and we didn't get the opportunity to rent them. But once an Idea gets in my little head I can't shake it and there was a dealer about a mile away.........we took a test drive.........they made me a deal I couldn't refuse.........25,000 miles and two years later....the rest is history
    Last edited by Pirate looks at --; 09-29-2015 at 09:18 AM.
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Always wanted a bike but never got one . I injured my neck and had surgery to fix disc at C5 & C6. So now have nerve damage in hands and fett that prevent me from holding up a bike.
    So I rode snowmobiles for years and no longer can ride so the spyder Rt SE6 lkets get out and ride safely with friends and making new friends along the way.

Some times for looks I get off my spyder with the other two wheelers present and put a kickstand puck beside the spyder and walk away. That usually breaks the ice and so does my graphic package.
    I have always been accepted by any other two wheel motorcyclist.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rtga View Post
    sometimes when I pull up into a parking lot full of bikes, folks look at the spyder and ask why ride that thing. I get off the spyder, open the frunk and retrieve my foldable cane. I look them in the eye and and say, because I still like to ride. when you can't handle a 2 wheeler like you used to, you will have to decide if you want to sit on the porch or run with the pack.

A better response may be to answer the question with a question:

"Why do you ride that two-wheeled thing?"

A perfectly timed eye-roll while doing this will help.

2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    "Y" Not??
    Love it.
    Can you please send me a Y NOT sticker/decal ? Always good to put the answer out there before the question is asked...

Spyder Garage

"Y" Not??
    My license plate says it all....

Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Not true in my case but you could always trump them with this answer.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azYJqf_Aa5E

Pat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have only gotten compliments on the bike so far

Spyder Garage

Default Tommy, Tommy, Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBwell View Post
    I got my foldable cane today. The other day a guy was walking into the QT and I asked if he would share his cane with me.
    Can't believe it. I was looking thru the new posts since I couldn't sleep, and what did I find. A young man in the 70s (the calendar year, not your age) with a number ONE plate. I looked closely, and sure enough!

I bought the FJR1300AE from you last December, and really enjoyed it this winter. It has gone to a better home in Henderson, N.C. (Woodsrider on this forum). I got his 2014 RTS SM6 this month. My left foot is better now, and I can shift gears. I hope your back is much better.

Enough of sitting here - I'm off for a short ride, being careful to evade the deer, I hope. I'll call you later and touch base.

Take Care.
    -Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why ryde a Spyder?

Because pushing them is just too much work!

...And it gives everyone the wrong idea...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Love it.
    Can you please send me a Y NOT sticker/decal ? Always good to put the answer out there before the question is asked...
    Inspector Gadget used to sell them...
    (At least the "Y" part of it

http://www.spyderrt.info/

It'd be worth checking with him.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 09-23-2015 at 10:39 AM.

Spyder Garage

After 46 years of two wheels my hip gave out but I still want to ride, my wife has had a RT for 3 years and never road two. After seeing how well her bike took corners I got a F3S.And love it, still have some two wheel bikes ,but the F3S is on the road the most. And you know it is just as much fun, lose gravel and rain noooo problem, hammer down and go.Very surprised that no one else has come out with two wheels up front, if you look at the atv market and see how fast everyone came out with them the bike market is very slow. After a trip to Anamosa Iowa too look at old bikes two up front is not new Harley did it in 1913. Hats off to BRP for leading the pack. After 5,000 miles on the new bike it's great. Jim Oh and Vickie wants an F3 too.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Because I didn't want a kickstand

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Greatride View Post
    Because I didn't want a kickstand
    You don't???

Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking Thats funny

You don't???

Spyder Garage

You don't???

I wonder if he will put a kickstand on his new one?

That's who I think it is...right?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Because it's a blast. I also own an Electra Glide Ultra Classic. My wife just doesn't feel safe on it. She loves the Spyder and I enjoy riding with my wife. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I wonder if he will put a kickstand on his new one?

That's who I think it is...right?
    If you're thinking Randy; I don't think so...
    That doesn't look like the exhaust system that he had on "Fatal Attraction".

Spyder Garage

Default Three wheels are more fun.

I got my motorcycle endorsement almost two years ago but never was comfortable on two wheels. My husband suggested I look at a Spyder for sale close by and that was it. I was hooked. Three wheels are MUCH more fun for me.

A couple of weeks weeks ago we rode out to a favorite restaurant on the St. John's River. As I was parking, a Harley rider pulled in close by and I heard him tell his passenger "She should just keep going and ride that thing into the river". I just chuckled to myself and had a beautiful lunch with much better company. On leaving the same couple was struggling to back their bike out of its spot. He had nothing to say when I put my bike in reverse and was out in no time. Priceless
    Last edited by LoveMyRyde; 09-29-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo

2011 Spyder RT Limited (Artie)