Thread: Check Engine

Spyder Garage

Default Check Engine

Been riding all week at SpyderQuest put on over 800 miles with no problems. Today on our last ride headed to the hotel and heard a bad sound like when you lug an engine down , the check engine message came on and then it would pick up speed and sound ok and then repeat the lugging sounds and lurching forward. Made it several miles to the hotel in the rain but don't know what could be wrong. To the shop we will go Tuesday! Love riding the F3 it handles fantastic in the twisties!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Never accept "no" from someone who does not have the authority to say "yes".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I hope your dealer figures it out quickly. Be sure to let us know what they find.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good Luck my F3 down as well. Waiting on parts

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

didn't check but do you have the se or the sm..?? If it's the se its sounding like a clutch problem, hope not..but for sure have it checked out and let us know...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    didn't check but do you have the se or the sm..?? If it's the se its sounding like a clutch problem, hope not..but for sure have it checked out and let us know...
    Manual shift.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

have you found out any info on this yet? Whats is the issue?

Spyder Garage

You mentioned riding in the rain. If you have a bare wire or a loose connection--electrical glitches caused by moisture will sometimes do what you have mentioned.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Just got home from SpyderQuest yesterday so my husband dropped my F3 off at Mountain Motorsports today in Kodak, TN. This issue is intermittent but luckily it was running on like 2 cylinders and the Check Engine message was scrolling for the Service Manager and the Tech. Hopefully they can find the problem quickly. They said could be a wire loose or something minor. We rode 800+miles in the mountains around Lake George all last week and it ran like a top so I am thrilled that it happened on the last 5 miles back to the hotel in pouring rain and we were ready to load up in the morning anyway. I had a ball riding all week and it ran perfectly.

My husband "Fencepost" says his F3 is way more fun than he ever had on 2 wheels. We love these bikes. I will keep you all posted on the findings.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any news on this? I am curious since my F3 is down awaiting on back ordered water pump.