Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Possible trip to the Outer Banks on 9/19

I am looking at doing one more summer trip towards the east before too late in the season. We will be leaving the Raleigh area and heading east on hwy 70. Then we can take the ferry across to Ocracoke and get on hwy 12 and head up north until we get to 64. Then we can go back west towards home. The route can be flexable, and is open to suggestions. It will make for a pretty long, but fun day. Please post up if you are interested in joining us.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

OK, I just checked to see what the time and distance for this ride would be. The total miles to travel for a round trip from Raleigh, to Cedar Island, ride on the ferry to Ocracoke Island, up US 12 to Bodie Island, and then hwy 64 back to Raleigh will be about 475 miles and about 9 and a half hours or road time (this does not include the 2.5 hour ferry ride). We would need to leave Raleigh around 6am to make the 10:30 ferry. To some, this seems like quite a distance, and time in the saddle, but it is about the same as what we do each fall for our day trip to the mountains (last year we did 2 in october, one was 475, the other was 500). Let me know if you guys are still interested. Also, we will need to make reservations for the ferry ride to guarantee our space. If this is too much, we can simply do a shorter ride in a different direction. I just thought a trip down hwy 12 would be a nice ride (ocean on one side, and the sound on the other). I didn't realize that there would be a ferry involved until I checked out the map.
    Let me know if this is a do, or a don't (good weather is also a must).
    So far, I have 2 of my M109 brothers that are going to take the ride with me. Let's get some love from the fellow spyder crew.

Spyder Garage

Well, the trip is still a go, but it seems like we will not be able to go the counter clockwise route. I called this morning, and the ferry will not have room for everyone. With that said, the general route will take us from the Raleigh area, along 64, all the way to Nags Head. Once there, we can get on hwy 12 and either go south toward Hatteras, or north towards Currituck Beach. For the return trip, we can either take 264 through Greenville, then head on to Raleigh (more 2 lane rd.), or just take hwy 64 directly back. Taking hwy 64 directly to the Outer Banks and back will equate to about a 405 mile, 6 1/2 hour round trip. Once there, the extent of travel along hwy 12 is up to us. Please post up if you are still ready to ride!

Spyder Garage

I ended up with a total of 600 miles for this trip. Needless to say that I was exhausted. We did a lot of riding, and I didn't take many pictures, but I wanted to share these 2. I had to travel up and down my driveway twice, but I logged on the entire 600 over a 15 hour period. All I have to say to all the ironbutt riders is that you are better than me. Lol!
    Attached Images Attached Images