Spyder Garage

Default Anyone have a pellet grill?

Been doing a little research, and I'm considering getting one. I enjoy smoking foods, and I have to babysit my propane fired smoker. I'm usually smoking something at camp, and I can't go visit our friends 'cause I cant leave the smoker.

Pellet grills claim to be "set it and forget it" so to speak.

So if ya have one, which one? And how do you like it? Issuse?

Spyder Garage

I'll be interested hearing about this as well. I have seen them and they look like they would be a good alternative to a traditional propane grill.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    Been doing a little research, and I'm considering getting one. I enjoy smoking foods, and I have to babysit my propane fired smoker. I'm usually smoking something at camp, and I can't go visit our friends 'cause I cant leave the smoker.

Pellet grills claim to be "set it and forget it" so to speak.

So if ya have one, which one? And how do you like it? Issuse?
    My hired man had one and loves it less flare ups and burnt food choose wood type for flavour it even has a remote temp probe so you can watch TV and still know when food is done he says it heats up fast as gas and of course is a smoker it's a green mt brand it is supposed to be the best
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Green Mountain?
    I thought that they were a coffee company.
    Do you know of a website for them?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Bob, greenmountaingrills.com. and no, there not made in VT.

I'm looking at the Daniel Boone. Non wifi. These are dealer only, so parts can be had easier than some purchased at box stores.

Rec-tec in the other brand im looking at.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I Have An Old One

Mine is the original Lil Tex Elite design from Traeger. Bought it @Costco. Changed the controller out for a PID style unit. I like it because:
    1. it's easy to start. No messing with charcoal
    2. food taste pretty good; but not as good as done over charcoal
    3. minimal clean up
    I have had to replace some important parts; but customer service has been good.
    The pellet grill has advanced over the years. You can spend a little or a lot on one. Go to amazing ribs.com to get an "experts" opinion on equipment.
    Mike
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

smokin-it.com

I have the #1 and cannot say enough good things about it. Uses any wood and a couple pieces will smoke for eight hours. Great smoke flavor. No pellets to buy.

Spyder Garage

I've been on amazing ribs, pellet heads, and smokingmeatforums.com. lots of good info, but like to here others experience with these grills. Cant get too much info.

My brother just got his traeger lil tex Elite yesterday. Using it tonight for the first time. His has the upgraded PDI controller. But the reviews lately haven't been great on them.
    If money wasnt a option, I'd get a Yoder, but wow are they expensive.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

We also have a Traeger, love it and use it year round! Highly recommend!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Craniac View Post
    smokin-it.com

I have the #1 and cannot say enough good things about it. Uses any wood and a couple pieces will smoke for eight hours. Great smoke flavor. No pellets to buy.
    Unless you get a top of the line stick burner, your babysitting it. I've started with a cheap $39 barrel style, to a offset stick burner, to the gasser I have now.
    Guy at camp just bought a huge stick burner for whole hogs. Water jacket, computerized, and 9k expensive.

Just realized this is an electric smoker. Never had one, but most electrics can't get the higher temps for crispy chicken skin. Need 450*+
    Last edited by mowin; 09-09-2015 at 03:45 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If money wasnt a option, I'd get a Yoder, but wow are they expensive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    As I was typing that post, I thought to my self I should say " no Bob I said Yoder, NOT Yoda, but what fun would that have been..

Spyder Garage

I have a Smoke Hollow 4400, 2 burners, propane fired, it'll take 3 15 pound turkeys, but the biggest load I've given it is a couple of big briskets. It will get to 200-250 degrees on one burner and has 2 wood trays that can be reloaded without loosing temperature. I moved from electric to the propane when my second MasterBilt barrel gave up.

john

Spyder Garage

I had a Traeger Lil Tex Elite just upgraded to the Texas Pro I have done it all on that smoker Ribs,Pork butt,Brisket and Pies,Cakes,Cookies and Pizza
    2020 RTL , PETROL METALLIC (DARK)

Spyder Garage

I had a Traeger Elite (http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/de...4#.VfDhchHBzRY) that I purchased from Costco. I didn't really care for it because it didn't produce a strong enough wood flavor for me. I tried different types of wood pellets and foods but I wasn't satisfied with it, so I returned it. If you like food with a mild wood flavor it's not a bad product but I would upgrade to a better controller the one I had wasn't that accurate which is another reason I returned it.

I replaced it with the Weber Smokey Mountain 22" Smoker (http://www.weber.com/grills/series/s.../smc-smoker-22) and use the BBq Guru Temperature WiFi Controller (https://www.bbqguru.com/StoreNav?Cat...1&ProductId=35). This combination has produced some great food for me. I can smoke ribs, chicken and briskets for hours at 225 degrees and never have to adjust the vents. I have been using weber grills for years now, so the charcoal doesn't bother me.

If you choose the Traeger I would a put a pan of water in the grill where the smoke enters to add moisture to you meat.
    Last edited by YIRYDE; 09-09-2015 at 10:19 PM.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

I like the idea of these a lot, but when I found out that they can't really grill (they just don't make enough heat to grill), it's too mono-functional for me.

-Fratz

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fratzba View Post
    I like the idea of these a lot, but when I found out that they can't really grill (they just don't make enough heat to grill), it's too mono-functional for me.

-Fratz
    The new ones get plenty hot and they auto start they have come a long way and the amount of smoke flavor can be controled by the pellet type
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As I was typing that post, I thought to my self I should say " no Bob I said Yoder, NOT Yoda, but what fun would that have been..
    In spite of his big ears; he misunderstood what you said...

Spyder Garage

We have owned a Trager for years and very happy with it.
    we have done everything from chickens to turkeys, ribs, boston butt, beef tri- tip and the list goes on.
    very easy, load the pellets hickory most often, set it to smoke and come back later.
    for ribs 3 hours smoke, 2 hours wrapped in foil @200+ and 1 hour open with favorite sauce back on smoke/low. Always great.
    costco has the best $ on pellets.
    Guests always rave about whatever comes off the Trager and here in BBQ country they are used to some of the best.
    Low and slow is the way to go for great BBQ. don't forget the Butt Rub for great flavor!
    my 2 cents

Spyder Garage

Default electric and very happy

I bought a small electric one from Ace Hardware. It works great just put wood on one side water on other. Turn it on. I use chunks of wood only add more once after5-7 hours. It has enough room to smoke a full pork butt , rack a ribs and 4 lbs of bacon. Or i could croud in probally 6 butts. I think small is better only takes a few chunks of wood ( 20.000 bags from HD ). The big ones great for commercial but how much meat you going to use.
    Love smoked meat
    Kenn

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had a Traeger for a couple years; didn't like it and sold it. I currently have a Yoder and it's a lot more versatile. It comes with three "sear" grates that can be used by removing the drip pan and replacing the left side standard grate. Then you can position the lower baffle "in" to concentrate the heat to that left side near the fire box. Crank it up to 450 and you can successfully sear steaks and burgers without "baking" them like traditional smokers.

Spyder Garage

I now have a Treager Lil' Tex and I am quite happy with the convenience factor. I had a Gator Pit offset smoker, a gas grill and a Weber pot, but we moved and I don't have the room. The pellet option was a good compromise. It is more like a wood fired oven than a grill, but it is easy, relatively clean, and convenient! Guess it depends on your circumstance! Good luck!

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a pellet "gun" ... does that count ???

osm

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    I have a pellet "gun" ... does that count ???

osm
    No mater how many times I shoot mine, I can't seem to get the barrel hot enough to cook on....

Spyder Garage

Check out an AirForce 22 MG, 22 cal air machine gun!

john