Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RSS tranny issue?

Out riding yesterday with my wife, and the transmission idiot light come on and went off several times during the last 50 miles of riding. It was hot and humid by Minnesota standards, but not as hot as some here are accustomed to riding in. Checked the oil level before I left and again after this happened the first time. The oil is where it is supposed to be on the dipstick.

In addition on a couple of occasions the transmission dropped out or something.
    It was like your driving down the road at 70 mph just revving up the engine as if it were in neutral.

The basics 2012 RSSse5 39,950 miles. Yes the oil level is correct and the oil wa changed 1500 miles ago. Always have run full synthetic by BRP. I suspect a sensor or something but not quite sure.
    My manual is at the cabin

Any ideas would be welcome

Spyder Garage

Default Yikes..!!

looks like your gear positioning sensor is going out. Do you get any other signals like E an R in the gear window.?? I would have that checked before it stops shifting altogether...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have been informed by several people (one whom is a dealer and tech) that the full synthetic oil will tend to make your clutch slip as it is too slick to provide adequate friction. Has anyone else heard of this? Could this be part of the issue?

Just sayin'...........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Default Hissy Fit?

I took Spydee to work today. She kept scrolling the check transmission message (No "E" or "R" displayed) and the idiot light for the first ten miles then it never showed up again for

the remaining 40 miles. Once I was off work, I took a little more scenic route home and never once got a scrolling check transmission message or idiot light. Instead I got a scrolling

brake failure message and idiot light! Topped off the brake fluid and filled with fuel when I got home. I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow.

I did threaten spydee with putting her away early for winter and just letting her sit because the wallets a little thin. A possible hissy fit? Who knows. But as with anything mechanical it'll

break just sitting there. She could be pissed, because she's only been out 3200 miles this year compared to almost 12,000 miles at the same point of the riding season last year.

Will keep you posted