Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Cool Rear Tire / Slingshot Owners...

THIS POST IS NOT ABOUT A SLINGSHOT !

I know we have had many tire posts BUT... here is a different twist on the rear tire:

I know there are a few Slingshot Owners on here or maybe you have a friend.

What rear tire does the Slingshot Use as far as size and brand ?
    (SS Site: stock tire from factory is a Kenda799 265/35R18)

It may be too early to even change a rear tire on a SS (as they are so new to the market)...but if so....what are you using ?

I was thinking about compatibility with the Spyder
    Last edited by WEB-WVR; 09-07-2015 at 06:42 PM.
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Please lets keep this a spyer forum

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kbwitt View Post
    I have a Spyder and this IS a Spyder forum. Some on this forum are having difficulty getting tires or finding a Dealer that will install them. SO I thought if the Slingshot owners were not/or are having the same issues....also what tires they might be using that WE can also use.... that this would be beneficial Info.

PLUS: Some have no good Spyder Dealer near where they live. My Motorcycle Dealer of many years with good mechanics....just started selling Slingshots.....and it came to me that maybe when I need new tires...that they can mount and install them for me too.

So I think this may be beneficial info. for us Spyder dudes and dudettes !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

A "Spyer" as defined in the dictionary: "A military secret agent hired by the State to obtain military information about it's enemies or by a business to obtain industrial secrets from competitors" .

A SPYDER is the sexiest damn 3 wheel motorcycle on the planet !

......me bad.............
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

I like the fact that we can occasionally talk about other subjects. And I do like the Slingshot. An occasional blurb is sure welcomed by a lot of us.

I am one who was curious about the rear tire wear since you have 2000cc + working on that tire. I would think OEM would get eaten up pretty quick. And we still have Kenda's in common--right?

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But we get into enough endless discussions in here about tires for Spyders...
    I'd be reluctant to want to see this spread to other brands of bikes.
    Besides; they have their own forums...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Maybe let it sit here for a while, and see if it gathers any interest...

Spyder Garage

I dont get you guys.....

This was NOT a post about SlingShots ! And I DONT believe this topic has been covered before either !

The post was potential tire options based on what the Slingshots may be using as some Spyder owners are finding dealers that charge too damn much or refuse to install or mount car tires on our Spyders.

It also was a post to maybe make some of us think that possibly a Slingshot dealership would mount our tires for us, maybe even install it.... since it appears a fair amount of Spyder dealers are not.

We should not and I thought were not suppose to redicule posts even if they were repetitive in nature.....and I dont believe this one was. With NEW members constantly joining this site, not all questions answered with specifics and a search function that does not always find applicable posts......you are going to get repetitive posts and I think we all need to politely get use to it !
    If you dont like a post............then why make any comment to it at all !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    I dont get you guys.....

This was NOT a post about SlingShots ! And I DONT believe this topic has been covered before either !

The post was potential tire options based on what the Slingshots may be using as some Spyder owners are finding dealers that charge too damn much or refuse to install or mount car tires on our Spyders.

It also was a post to maybe make some of us think that possibly a Slingshot dealership would mount our tires for us, maybe even install it.... since it appears a fair amount of Spyder dealers are not.

We should not and I thought were not suppose to redicule posts even if they were repetitive in nature.....and I dont believe this one was. With NEW members constantly joining this site, not all questions answered with specifics and a search function that does not always find applicable posts......you are going to get repetitive posts and I think we all need to politely get use to it !
    So, you're thinking that there may be other tires out there that can be used on a spyder that haven't already been covered in other posts here. I don't see anything wrong with that.

If you want to know if a Polaris dealer will install tires on a spyder, that would just take a phone call.

I think what some may be tired of is all the posts on a specific spyder forum that should be Off Topic. I see nothing wrong with your post. But, that's JMHO, and keep in mind that I don't sing kumbaya..
    Last edited by wyliec; 09-07-2015 at 06:51 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default crikey

crikey, another thread going south fast.

I thought the OP made a fair point - and the post IS spyder related - somebody thinking outside the square! Good One.
    IF slingshot tyres are applicable to Spyders, then we SHOULD all benefit from price via economies of scale - they sell more = we may pay less, and access to stock for easier purchase of the tyre too.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I got an idea about "topics" why doesn't someone suggest "topics" that they approve of and want to read about..... and list them... maybe it would help those that seem to stray from only spyder "approved" topics.. ?

osm

Spyder Garage

Holy Tire Question Batman.

I don't see anything wrong asking about tires. Since we have mentioned the (forbidden to some) subject of Slingshot--maybe the off topic forum would have saved a post or two.

Two three wheel vehicles, both the same brand of OEM tire (Kenda).

If you decide to take it off topic, I will still follow the subject.

I see no answer about tire life and I was interested knowing what the bigger (2000cc +) engine does to the single rear on the SS.

Sometimes, I think some lurk just to crash down on someone's post for the halibut.

I still believe if you don't like a post to ignore it, or avoid the subject altogether.

If we did not have a variety of subjects and posts, we would not have this great forum. I keep pretty informed, but I don't reply to everything or everyone.

Anyone know where we can get some Snickers quick?
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-07-2015 at 07:27 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Here is one for everyone. Feelin' the Love !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

I have a Spyder and this IS a Spyder forum. Some on this forum are having difficulty getting tires or finding a Dealer that will install them. SO I thought if the Slingshot owners were not/or are having the same issues....also what tires they might be using that WE can also use.... that this would be beneficial Info.

PLUS: Some have no good Spyder Dealer near where they live. My Motorcycle Dealer of many years with good mechanics....just started selling Slingshots.....and it came to me that maybe when I need new tires...that they can mount and install them for me too.

So I think this may be beneficial info. for us Spyder dudes and dudettes !
    It would be benificisl if you called your new dealer and asked if they will install car tire On a spyder.. If so publish the dealers name and phone number. I called one sling shot dealer here weeks ago will not work on spyders at all.
    I think a sling shot tire would be a better fit for a truck then a spyder.

Spyder Garage

Get a grip

Even if tires/oil have been beaten to death, there is/can be something new somewhere that the outlier has stumbled across. If your mind is closed to anything new, just don't post your distaste.
    Last edited by pitzerwm; 09-07-2015 at 08:01 PM.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default Tires

Post what you want, if people dont want to discuss it, they dont have to read it or be a part of it,,,,,,,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The tires are made by our favorite manufacturer: Kenda. They are 265/35R18. A curiosity conversation last winter revealed they are custom made for the S $#\h%t and sell for over $300/each. Based on the tire dimensions they would stand 24.75" tall. The standard Kenda for our Spyders, 225/50x15, would be 23.8". Regardless of the wear, one would need a new rim. On top of that the nanny wouldn't care for the significantly larger tire.
    pauly1 - SpyderDeb's 'wrench'
    2018 F3-T & 2015 F3-S Road Warrior Foundation Tribute customs
    IBA #48220 SS1000 BB1500
    2015 F3-S , OEM na Basic Black with Custom Wrap

Spyder Garage

Op asked a simple question. If you don't have an answer, butt out! Simple as that!
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

arntufun

I dont get you guys.....

Sorry you are getting bullied for asking a simple question.......

My stock Kenda on my Slingshot is just about toast at 4500 miles. The Kenda's are much worse on the Slingshot than the Spyder because it's so light in the rear.. I'm going to try to make it last until the spring and will be replacing it with a car tire.

ps....... Keep in mind, the higher end SL model Slingshot runs bigger tires than the base model.
    Last edited by arntufun; 09-08-2015 at 10:06 AM.

Spyder Garage

My Slingshot original stock back tire has lasted to 12000 miles.It was coming down to the wear bars.I just changed it for a Dunlop.

Spyder Garage

Default Glad to see...

the slingshot folks chimed in. Was curious myself how they were doing. Will be interesting to see how the car tires fare and if polaris dealers will install/offer them...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Sorry you are getting bullied for asking a simple question.......

My stock Kenda on my Slingshot is just about toast at 4500 miles. The Kenda's are much worse on the Slingshot than the Spyder because it's so light in the rear.. I'm going to try to make it last until the spring and will be replacing it with a car tire.

ps....... Keep in mind, the higher end SL model Slingshot runs bigger tires than the base model.
    Randy,
    Does Holly still get to wear her "special riding gear", while riding in the converti... errr... SlingShot?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 09-10-2015 at 07:46 AM.

Spyder Garage

I dont get you guys.....

great post. I could not have said it better myself.... the post was about tires - not slingshots! duh???
    BIG F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So when I need tires for my Jeep; I guess that I should just come in here also.

Spyder Garage

I checked with my former 2 wheel motorcycle dealer who I have confidence in and in their mechanics. They now sell Slingshots besides 2 wheelers. They WILL install any tire I want on my Spyder.

I brought up this post because of this....figuring SS dealers would have the appropriate tools etc. and may be willing to help us too. I just happened to see a rear shot photo of a SS tire....and it looked so similar to ours I was curious if they were having the same problem as some of us.

Again, some on this site have commented that they are getting crap from some dealers on tire installs that are not OEM. Maybe this will be an option for some.
    Craig From Albany Oregon