Spyder Garage

Default 2-cycle. 4-cycle and confusion

There is another thread going about carrying spare gasoline and I was going to post there but I didn't want to hijack the thread, thus this one.

We are getting ready to leave on a trip next week and I was cleaning up the RT 622's and going to refill the one gallon spill proof cans we use for emergencies when I read the thread and noticed mention of quart cans of non-ethanol fuel that can be purchased from Home Depot. I thought that packing a couple of these may be a better solution than the plastic cans as they are difficult to pack without the risk of accidentally depressing the 'pour' lever.

Since I was heading out and came up on the new Tractor Supply store I decided to visit them and check on the availability of the non-ethanol gasoline.

I went in the store and asked the clerk where I would find the non-ethanol gas product. He led me over to the shelf where oil and additives were displayed and handed me a can of premixed two-cycle fuel, telling me that it should work even though my machine had three wheels. I explained that the engine in my Spyder used four-cycle fuel.

"No", he said, "that is for cars, this two cycle stuff is made for cycles with two wheels". At first I thought he was pulling my leg, but he was deadly serious. I told him that two cycle fuel was for two stroke engines while what I was looking for had no oil added and was for four stroke engines.

Then he asked me how many cylinders my Spyder had. "It is a twin", I told him.. "just two cylinders". "Haw" he said, "that's why you need this two cycle stuff!"

By this time I had found the can of non-ethanol on the shelf. "I suppose you're going to tell me that this stuff is for four cylinder engines?"

"Yep, that's exactly right", he replied.

I couldn't resist.... "What would you recommend for a V-8'? He thought for a bit and then said, "I guess you'd need two cans of that stuff."

I really, really thought about asking him about three cylinder, six cylinder and even twelve cylinder engines but I didn't have the heart.
    Last edited by Pennyrick; 09-04-2015 at 06:09 PM.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If your clerk has already graduated from High School; his parents should ask for their money back...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

WOW!!!!!
    2013 RT SE5
    Bajaron sway bar
    Bajaron heim links
    laser alignment from dealer
    Inspector Gadget floor boards
    Smoothspyder belt tensioner
    Grip Puppies
    HEAT RECALL COMPLETED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Oh my.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

that is just too amazing.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    .....I couldn't resist.... "What would you recommend for a V-8'? He thought for a bit and then said, "I guess you'd need two cans of that stuff."

I really, really thought about asking him about three cylinder, six cylinder and even twelve cylinder engines but I didn't have the heart.
    Bugga! You are such a party pooper!!

I really thought you'd be going somewhere with the 3, 6, or 12 cyl questions, but you whimped out!!

Spyder Garage

Default That was fun..!!

what do they use in the tractors..?? not too many two cycle tractors around....

Reminds of a customer that came into the bike shop I managed . He came to the parts counter and got to talking about two stroke engines. When he found out they had no valves he was shocked and asked how does it run with no valves..!! parts guy say pretty good....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Must be that new fang dangled math.

Spyder Garage

Hi Double Trouble,

Re: but I didn't have the heart.

A year and a half ago, I was in a Batteries & Bulbs store to get some new batteries for auto key remotes.

As the clerk & I were talking he tells me that the reason we cannot get incandescent lightbulbs anymore is because of *****Care.

I asked him just how does a health plan have anything to do with buying lightbulbs.

He said that he didn't know but that is what someone told him.

I just decided it was best to leave as I had gotten what I came for.

You cannot fix stupid; quit trying.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) Anyone know why President *****'s is being deleted from: *****care
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Default 7 cylinder radial?

Blow his mind if you care to go back. I belive the premix question was well answered on other thread. Use the contents on what proper 2cycle then refill with regular gas if you like. http://www.tourtank.com is what im looking to get personally, & wont have to pack away can fip a switch & npbud has one on his VTXhardly ever has to stop, for gas!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

On the other end of this, better to run mixed fuel in a four stroke than unmixed fuel in a two stroke...

PK

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't get me started ....

Hate the big box stores where the employees don't know what they are talking about (Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.)

I am dangerous enough myself - but to be led down the primrose path by someone who is supposed to help you - SUCKS BIG TIME!

Was at Home Depot the other day looking for an item their online website said was available in that store - 2 of them to be exact.

When I asked for the item (by it name) they had no idea what I was talking about. I explained its purpose, etc. and they acted befuddled. Finally, after a third employee joined the conversation, he took me to the place it should be - but it wasn't in the DISPLAY BIN. Took me forever to convince them to check their in-store computer to find the item. Guess they didn't want to walk to the front of store to use their own computer. Finally, they did and lo and behold it was in the storage bin above the racks waiting to be stocked on the shelves.

They fished it out of the STORAGE BIN and I bought the item (actually a great price!). These were not kids - these were middle-aged men. It took 3 of them and all the persuasion I could muster, to get the item and buy it. LOL

I usually look for the older guys who look like they worked in plumbing, electrical, carpentry, etc. and ask them. A lot of them supplement their retirement by working in these places, but they must have all been off that day!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    On the other end of this, better to run mixed fuel in a four stroke than unmixed fuel in a two stroke...

PK

Fouled plugs are cheaper than new pistons, rings, and an overbore...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting

This is an interesting thread. I often ponder over similar questions, like; "What is the difference between the speed of light and the speed of dark?" ?
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It wouldn't hurt the motor at all to run it and would have no issues fouling plugs. 2 Cycle motors have spark plugs too.
    The o2 sensors however.....that's what I'd worry about. Likely would be fine in an emergency situation though.

I run premix in my mower at the end of the season as I usually have some left that I haven't used in the trimmer. Try to use it up.

For carrying extra fuel on the spyder, if I ran a trailer I'd have a 1 gallon can rack welded to the trailer tongue.

Spyder Garage

I saw that new Tractor Supply store this past Tuesday evening while going to a friend's house in Loganville. I think the last time I saw it, it was still being built.
    Mark & Mary Lou Lawson
    Snellville, GA USA
    '10 RT-S PE #0031
    '10 RT-622 Trailer
    '08 Yellow SM5 #2332
    '01 Black GL1800A Goldwing #0930

"Remember in the darkness what you have learned in the light." - Joe Bayly

Spyder Garage

Yep, there out there mingling among us and the amazing thing is how many there are. Unfortunately they too have voting rites and are allowed to produce young. Some of them also work in Power Sports dealers and are working on your Spyder as we speak.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Yep, there out there mingling among us and the amazing thing is how many there are. Unfortunately they too have voting rites and are allowed to produce young. Some of them also work in Power Sports dealers and are working on your Spyder as we speak.

Jack

Jack, as an aviator, you probably realize they also are working on aircraft. I am dead serious when I say there are aircraft mechanics that I would not let work on my lawnmower.

PK

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Knarfoh View Post
    Hate the big box stores where the employees don't know what they are talking about (Best Buy, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.)
    You'll be OK as long as you realize ahead of time that you will encounter 1/3 knowledge, 1/3 ignorance, and 1/3 bull crap.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the thread Double Trouble. I will just add a Wow there also.

Makes one wonder sometimes.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I ran two stroke oil in the gas tank of my 911. Of course it wasn't stock. Had a turbo 13B rotary engine.

The rotary is a four stroke engine but has trouble getting oil to the apex seals. Mazda just added an oil injector. But most people with high performance rotaries use the two stroke oil for added safety.

This guy is crazy. 6 second quarter mile with a 1.3 liter engine.

Spyder Garage

Wow. Just...wow.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Jack, as an aviator, you probably realize they also are working on aircraft. I am dead serious when I say there are aircraft mechanics that I would not let work on my lawnmower.

PK
    Oh yes there are. I have been an aviation maintenance inspector for 20+ years. Some of the ***** they do would amaze you.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Default Wow!

Next time, see if he can make change: two tens for a five!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system