Registered Users GreenSpyderGirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F3S Surging when downshifting

Just got my F3S SE6 and loving it! Huge improvement in its handling from my previous Spyder. I have a noticeable surge of speed when downshifting. Stil in the early break in phase and hoping it is related to breaking in. Has anybody else noticed it? I was going to give it some time and see if it improves with use. The demo I rode did not do it nor did my 2012 RSS.

Spyder Garage

Is it downshifting By Itself OR are you maybe manually downshifting at a higher RPM than the engine would prefer?

On my F3 sm6 (Manual) if I downshift to 1st gear at a little too high an rpm it will "Lay a Little rubber!"

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

It is a quick blip of the throttle called "rev matching". Folks with a manual do it manually (go figure). The idea is to more closely match the engine speed with the wheel speed when you drop it into a lower gear. If you keep your foot over the brake and put a little pressure on it as it does that you can lessen the surge. As you ride it more you will be able to anticipate it better. The biggest concern is when shifting into first when you are nearly stopped. If you do not leave room and stay on the brake it will surge you into the car/bike/trike/garage wall in front of you.

Spyder Garage

Default Equalizing...

as the downshift process begins the engine rpm are lower than the next gear. So to make the stress on the gearbox less it will bring up the rpm's to match the gears speed to make the smooth shift, thus the surge. I do that in my car, will put it in neutral rev the engine and apply pressure on the shift lever and when they equalize it pops into gear without applying the clutch.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

This is normal for the SE6.. RPM matching with lower auto select gearing.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users GreenSpyderGirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info. Think I am used to my 900 engine and will get used to this one. I try to be in the habit of manually downshifting as much as possible. The bigger engine apparently likes to be at a lower rpm before downshifting. I also noticed that as the engine is warmer I don't notice the surge as much. Hmmm thinking I need to get some of the lead out of my throttle hand to make for smoother downshifting. LOL. Appreciate the info. Thanks again guys.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have found that the "downshifting part" of the computers, does a much better job than on my old RT...
    If you downshift manually; just chop the throttle, before pulling on the paddle...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Seems to be typical.

When new, my F3 would 'surge' a little when I let it downshift by itself coming to a stop. It still does, but I don't think anywhere near what it used to - or maybe I am getting used to it.

So, I would say, what you are feeling is typical and 'natural' for the F3.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.