Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Newbie, potential F3S owner.

I searched on these subjects without finding exactly what I was looking for, so here goes!
    Any facts on the mpg difference if any between the manual and semi auto trans?
    Also, any opinions on which one to get?
    My current ride is an 04 VMax and I have 40 + years experience all on conventional shifting bikes.
    Not looking for any big insight and I realize it's largely subjective.

Thanks.
    Jack.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by staneric View Post
    I searched on these subjects without finding exactly what I was looking for, so here goes!
    Any facts on the mpg difference if any between the manual and semi auto trans?
    Also, any opinions on which one to get?
    My current ride is an 04 VMax and I have 40 + years experience all on conventional shifting bikes.
    Not looking for any big insight and I realize it's largely subjective.

Thanks.
    Jack.
    Gas mileage will vary depending on the right hand action. The difference is slim to none. If driven the same, About 1 mpg. We usually don't buy these for their gas economy though. The F3S is the way to go it you want mean looking. Try the new Triple Black (available in September) per the advertising.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My initial gas mileage was not impressive for the first 3,000 miles but improved thereafter. I've found that my shifting sweet spot is between 3,000-3,500 rpm, up from the designed points listed in the operator's guide. Don't use ECO mode either. As akspyderman said, how I push the loud handle impacts overall mileage.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I bought an SE6 (semi auto) last Friday and could not be happier. It is not a double clutch transmission but if you did not know that you would think it was. The shifts are quick and seamless and it gives a quick rev matching blip on downshifts. I am busted up so the SM6 (manual) was not an option to me but even if it was I would have stuck with the SE6. If you ride in traffic much you would probably prefer the SE6. I'm an old guy but not hung up on old technology. A lot of folks feel controling a clutch is an important part of riding. I enjoy the paddles.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's my understanding, after intensive listening on this site, that any mileage difference
    between an SM or SE, is nill. That said, the thing that will affect your MPG is the right hand,
    not the left.
    I chose SE because of a neuropathy problem that complicates the use of my feet somewhat.
    Except for the ability to "BLIP" the throttle (to get attention), I don't miss the clutch.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In my opinion, the semi-auto shifting is like electric windows when they first came out. Do you need 'em? Nah! Do the crank windows work just fine? Sure do! Aw, heck, let's get 'em anyhow! OK, AIN'T GOIN' BACK!! I loved shifting my big ol' H/D, but this semi-auto sure is fun and I AIN'T GOIN' BACK! Either way, I think you will really enjoy! Good luck!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the quick and insightful responses. Sounds like a semi auto may be in my future..
    Hey JKRBBT, we also have Aussies, a 12 yr. old blue Merle female and a six year old black and white male.

Spyder Garage

SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

Welcome... coming from a V Max personally I would go to the RS/RSS. Most will recommend the F3 because of the triple and six speed. Now from the 40+ years in the breeze you have probably run across a cruiser or two. Not partial to being flat on my butt pounding my bad spinal column, but thats just me. The best , as I tell all , is a good test ryde on the different models. Try the RT as well, luxury may suit you.

Asfor mileage... not enough difference to make mention of. I am a die hard manual person liking to pull in the clutch and coast the downhills in silence, slipping it when I need to leap forward a bit and using it to pull the wool over the nanny's eyes...test ryde will tell you what you want to know...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just love the SM, I find the semi auto boring. But not the people who ride them, they are all fascinating I'm sure!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I had an SE on the RT and went with the SM on the F3 / No regrets / At all😎

Spyder Garage

Default SE6

You have just as much control with the paddle shifter as you do with the clutch/shifter because you can shift up and down like you're used to. The bonus for the SE6 is that you don't have to do anything at intersections or park gates -- it's in first and it can stay that way at a complete stop. I had the chance to ride a few "SM" spyders after I got used to the SE, and that was the thing I hated the most (having to hold in the clutch or find N at the park gate). When people have asked me what I thought of the SM, I said, "nothing like traveling to a third world country to make you appreciate your first world conveniences." But I also like the automatic window analogy above in this thread -- so true!
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Going to the dealer today door for eyeball and test rides.
    I will post up my take.
    On another note, what a pleasure to find a forum that is friendly and helpful to the new guy.
    A lot of the mc forums are clannish to the extent that a rookie is reluctant to ask questions for fear of being ridiculed.

Spyder Garage

Ft see
    45 + years of riding many many bikes
    Ended up here
    Great machine!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have owned several cars, trucks (yeah I am an old fart) two wheelers and one three wheeler (2008 Spyder) that were all manual shift. I enjoyed, back then the added control, greater reliability of manual transmissions, increased gas mileage and to me the fun of it. Manual Clutches last a long time if you are experienced with them and don't abuse them.

In 2012, I purchased my first automatic transmission in a truck, because of my aging body and technology improvements with automatic transmissions. Difference in gas mileage is small, plus I can shift over to change gears with the flick of the stick - no clutching. To me it is the best of both worlds - no riding the clutch (if even only a little with experience) when stopped on steep hills during take-off, no constantly clutching, holding in clutch or shifting between in stop and go traffic and I can take over control of shifting at any time.

The SE6 on my F3-S is similar to my truck, I just use finger and thumb instead my hole hand. The SE6 has an added feature over my truck - it will downshift on its own if you are going to slow (low rpm) in that gear.

First time using the SE6 I didn't make smooth shifts - so used to releasing throttle and pulling in the clutch, and engaging clutch with throttle together. But ones quickly figures it out. Love the SE6 - worth the extra expense to me (certainly not to others).

Always nice to have choices - you might want to test ride both.
    2020 RT Ride Frequent Stay Safe
    Aftermarket Aux Light, GPS mounting/wiring, Lamonster Garage Mirror Lock, Lamonster Garage Belt Tensioner
    Backrest Home Brew Mod

2008 RS from 2008 through 4/2015, 2015 F3-S from 4/2015 through 9/2020

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Gas mileage will vary depending on the right hand action. The difference is slim to none. If driven the same, About 1 mpg. We usually don't buy these for their gas economy though. The F3S is the way to go it you want mean looking. Try the new Triple Black (available in September) per the advertising.
    Spot on...gas economy didn't even enter into the equation for me. I like the SE6. The Spyder is a different animal, fun as hell, but different just the same. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It actually shouldn't make a bit of difference in the fuel economy...
    You're just having the bike handle the "left lever" chores for you; that's all!
    But I DO like my ESSIE!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by staneric View Post
    Going to the dealer today door for eyeball and test rides.
    I will post up my take.
    On another note, what a pleasure to find a forum that is friendly and helpful to the new guy.
    A lot of the mc forums are clannish to the extent that a rookie is reluctant to ask questions for fear of being ridiculed.
    We try not to ridicule until we see over 100 posts! Then you are not considered a rookie! (Glad you feel welcome! )

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    We try not to ridicule until we see over 100 posts! Then you are not considered a rookie! (Glad you feel welcome! )
    103 posts here 104 now including this. But I still class myself as a rookie. When I get F3 and get some riding experience under my belt, then I won't class myself as a rookie. When I become a Spyder owner, I look forward to giving advice to newbies about Spyder ownership and being the next Bob Denman or Akaspyderman after several years of Spyder ownership
    2019 F3-S Special Series , Liquid Titanium with orange frame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You'll find we are a pretty friendly bunch. And this board is really active, so there's usually something enlightening - or at least entertaining - here.

And IMHO, I love the SE6 in my RTS. I like not having to deal with the clutch lever at all. I have a stick-shift in my car, though, so I get to go through the motions in that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Darren111 View Post
    I look forward to giving advice to newbies about Spyder ownership and being the next Bob Denman or Akaspyderman after several years of Spyder ownership
    Don't follow me ... I'm lost too!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Test rode the semi auto and that's what I want with cruise control.
    Even with the whole learning curve thing, the fun factor meter pegged.
    I even have the exact farkles planned out.
    Next, sell the VMax and save some $.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good luck with the Sale!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    You have just as much control with the paddle shifter as you do with the clutch/shifter because you can shift up and down like you're used to.
    Can you bump start with the SE6?

I haven't had to bump start anything in a long time, but I like having that option.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
    Can you bump start with the SE6?

I haven't had to bump start anything in a long time, but I like having that option.

I have no idea -- never had to do it.
    We now have His and Hers Spyders!
    Current Spyder: White 2015 F3-S SE6
    His Spyder: White 2015 F3 SE6

Previous Spyder: 2012 RT Limited SE5 -- 30,300 miles
    Previous rides: Kawasaki & Honda
    2015 F3 , Pearl White