Spyder Garage

Default Obligatory post-I tell you all the stuff you already know...

I am a member at goldwingfacts.com, have been for a long time. My membership number is 1195, of over 58,000 members. My point is I have seen it over and over, a new guy comes in and asks all the old questions (whats the best oil?) and tells you all the stuff you know already. This is my obligatory post to satisfy that, although I wont ask about oil. I am going to copy/paste what I posted at the other site.

This is how my experience went. I rode the train from Eugene, OR to Oakland. PO picked me up. Breakfast, look at the bike.

Well, my transaction went as hoped. The bike is perfect, had all it was supposed to have, more goodies than I expected, the guy was meticulous with records, although at 7700 miles there arent many.

I left his place at 1 pm yesterday, San Mateo. So picture me navigating san fran traffic, on a bike I am new to, a bike style I am new to, having been off for three years. Not to mention my wobble legs. It was interesting. Then the wind kicked up, hard. That thing has a fat nose, so it really bucks.

This thing is an interactive experience much more so than I expected. Every decent turn involves the butt, both arms, and at least one leg. I started the journey in traffic, with sweepers, and lots of road repairs. As you roll through a sweeper, inside wheel lifts just a tiny bit due to good old physics. I slide a bit to the inside to re center the balance, and push with my outside leg. When that pushing involves the sloppy leg, I can feel my knee slam from one end of the play to the other. I have to work on that...

During one of those sweepers, if that light inside wheel hits some sort of a road abberation, the momentary change in feel hits both wheels, alternately. It takes a bit to get used to that.

I really need to get the risers. The early models only had this riding stance, more zoomsplattish. I had worried about the knee position, but was surprised to find that the forward lean was miuch more troublesome. The new models include one that is definitely more cruiser like. It also comes with the newer, bigger engine. Which I cannot imagine needing...

since this one....

... has the 990 rotax v twin. PO had put a diff muffler on it... a loud harley has only a lil bit on this thing. Thing is, as much as I hate the noise, it pulls like a locomotive. I would hate to lose that. This thing is really, really quick. It loves rpms, infact the only reason the tach has 0-3500 is because it has to go through those to get to where its happiest. 3500-7000. Redline is 9500, indicated to 12000. The Spyderlovers.com folks say that lugging the engine is bad for it.

With that said, 70 mph is right at 5000 rpm. So, it goes like a scalded dog from 0-70. Roll on at 60mph is impressive. At one point I was behind a semi doing 60, appropriated distance behind. I rolled on, and was doing 80 before I reached the cab of the truck. Yeah, it does just fine. I cannot imagine needed the bigger 1330 triple cylinder.

Between the wind, new style of bike, having slept (not really) on a train, and a long day yesterday was a bit of a bugger. I was in pain and exhausted last night at my motel. Also, the Nolan helmet that came with was a noisy sumbuck. I couldnt find anyplace with earplugs, so on I went. I was so worn out from the noise last night..(inserted-I just recovered from a life threatening knee injury-yes, knee. Contracted a MRSA infection that nearly killed me. Factor the thirteen knee surgeries, along with all the things that went wrong in years past, I have had 26 surgeries)

Today the earplugs made a huge diff. I took breaks more often.

BTW, there was a lil rain in roseburg. The best way to see what happens on a wet road is to try it. When a light turned green, I goosed it. This broke the back wheel free in three gears, rapid succession.

o.0

yazwbp28.jpg

Spyder Garage

Nice write up. and on your new ryde.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Great narration...

All in all a great start.. nothing like jumping right in... by the visable smiles in you typing you are loving it. Congrats, be safe and above all enjoy the ryde...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that you jumped in with both feet, and have already learned so much!
    Which exhaust system did the prior owner install? There are lots of choices for an RS of that vintage...
    Please keep us posted on your new adventure, and don't forget to brush your teeth after each and every ride!

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Great write-up of your early experience with your new Spyder! Thanks for sharing it.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Which exhaust system did the prior owner install? There are lots of choices for an RS of that vintage...
    He put a Leo Vince on it, a slip on model.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Some of my ATVing buddies used Leos...
    I believe that you can pop the rear cap off of it, and add some screening underneath it. It also acts like a spark arrestor too!

Spyder Garage

Default RDWII

RDWII, you stated, "I cannot imagine needing the bigger 1330 triple cylinder."....

you really
    REALLY need to test ride one... after you dig your eye-ballz out from the back of your head, plz write another post and let us know your thoughts then....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    RDWII, you stated, "I cannot imagine needing the bigger 1330 triple cylinder."....

you really
    REALLY need to test ride one... after you dig your eye-ballz out from the back of your head, plz write another post and let us know your thoughts then....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S

but I wasn't going to say anything since he's enjoying his new Spyder so much.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    but I wasn't going to say anything since he's enjoying his new Spyder so much.
    haha, I bet it is a hoot to ride!

I made a choice years ago to ride more conservatively, having a bike that isnt WAY over my skill set is part of it... This is plenty fast for me...

Have fun and see you at the next stop!! ahahaha!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RDWII View Post
    This thing is an interactive experience much more so than I expected.
    I think that most people aren't expecting the Spyder to be as "interactive" as it is but for me that is what makes it fun!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And don't let the "1330 Club" make you feel bad about your 998.
    After all; there's not too many flies landing on them either!

Spyder Garage

Default Snap on tool sponsor

As a double knee replacement man I'm the poster child for Snap On Tools. Very little problems over the years. The addition of two Spyders in the garage has opened up riding with my wife and not having a two up issue. Welcome to this life knowing the ride will improve each trip out. The turning and g forces will become second nature for you. Ride on and enjoy the scenery.

Spyder Garage

Default NO NO NO

And don't let the "1330 Club" make you feel bad about your 998.
    After all; there's not too many flies landing on them either!
    NO NO NO BOB......
    try'n 2 make'm feel
    BETTER.....
    and remember, i've put over 50,000 miles on my 998 RS, and loved every minute/mile on it.... the 1330 is just another gr8 toy that BRP has made available to us....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kennard View Post
    As a double knee replacement man I'm the poster child for Snap On Tools. Very little problems over the years. The addition of two Spyders in the garage has opened up riding with my wife and not having a two up issue. Welcome to this life knowing the ride will improve each trip out. The turning and g forces will become second nature for you. Ride on and enjoy the scenery.
    I am also a member of the PGR! Nice to see a familiar sight...

Soon my knees will need replacement. the right is a standard replacement, really. The left, however, due to that damn MRSA, it will be different. Normal replacements rely on the existing ligaments, but since the bug ate mine up, I only have one of the four that is anything close to normal. I will lose mobility to gain stability. Click the gif below to see the front/back motion. It will also move to the inside quite nicely...

Spyder Garage

Please don't tell me people are actually walking around saying they are part of the "1330 club"...that is damn lame.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

No problem with what flavor of engine you may have. They are both (for now) good.

I am lucky to have one of each. I do like the 1330 a little better, but that is just my opinion for what it is worth (NOT).

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    Please don't tell me people are actually walking around saying they are part of the "1330 club"...that is damn lame.

Spyder Garage

Hi AMTJIM,

Re: Please don't tell me people are actually walking around saying they are part of the "1330 club"...that is damn lame.

It is on a par with, 'Mine is bigger than yours.'

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But's not about the size...
    It's how you USE it!

Spyder Garage

Lol!!
    2020 CAN-AM Spyder F3-S Special Series (sold)

2022 CAN-AM Ryker Rally 900

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RDWII View Post
    I am also a member of the PGR! Nice to see a familiar sight...

Soon my knees will need replacement. the right is a standard replacement, really. The left, however, due to that damn MRSA, it will be different. Normal replacements rely on the existing ligaments, but since the bug ate mine up, I only have one of the four that is anything close to normal. I will lose mobility to gain stability. Click the gif below to see the front/back motion. It will also move to the inside quite nicely...
    Did the doctor say that he couldn't split the tendons of the knee to replace the ligaments?
    Last edited by wyliec; 09-03-2015 at 08:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Did the doctor say that he couldn't split the tendons of the knee to replace the ligaments?
    there isnt an option for rebuilding my ligaments. The six surgeries on that knee were to clear the infection. it left the joint ate up.

That having been said, when the time comes, I will do more investigation on artificial ligaments before I go any further. Currently the artificials are not very effective, even by the manufacturers own standards!

Until technology improves, I am in a brace for life... as the doc said. I have 6 different ones that I use for diff purposes.

Spyder Garage

RDWII, enjoy your Spyder and good luck with your knees. I still have a little pick axe looking thing under my right knee doing something important, so glad it puts up with my all the physical activities in my life. It really suprises me sometimes, so thankful for it.

P.S. Welcome to the 990 club
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

The RS/GS models definitely have Pep! Passing a slow moving vehicle on a divided freeway still spooks me, I'm hitting 80+ mph before I pass the other vehicle's front bumper! Yikes!

Thing about the bigger ACE 1330 engine is it's also heavier... and goes in a heavier Spyder at that. The RS/GS line is the Sport line, they don't need a larger engine to have plenty of Pep to them. It's just a matter of personal preference if you ask me, and I like my RS with it's 998cc engine just fine!

Try adding a handlebar riser under the handlebar, the 1" BRP riser spacer plate made a heck of a difference and was easy to install (though a bit challenging to find all the bolts, seeing as how you can't see the bolts that hold the handle bar assembly together). Like, $25 or so off Ebay i think I paid for mine. Took a lot of the riding pressure off my arms, but still have a slightly forward lean which I like.

You can probably find a stock muffler take-off on Ebay for not too much. I think it's the air filter that really makes a huge difference though, I kept my stock muffler but put a K&N air filter in mine and was very impressed with the power that added! And it stopped that occasional backfire that would occur when downshifting... the OEM paper air filter is VERY restrictive apparently!

Enjoy the ride!

- Michael