Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

No problem since it works for you. You will beat me with a stick for mentioning it, and if you need help my wife will assist. Pretty typical girl stuff.

Honestly though, on our Spyder we surrender space to the helmet also.

As for the inverter, can I ask why since there is not much portable stuff needing 110v these days. I can see if it is medical stuff like a nebulizer but please don't tell me it's for a hair dryer...

You will enjoy a quality storage bag behind you.

All the best.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I got the inverter before I got USB ports on my dash to charge my phone. Also when I considered tent camping I'd have a way to heat water for coffee. But it's still handy if I want to plug in my laptop or iPad or anything else I wouldn't carry on the dash.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Tools for traveling

Forgive me if this has been asked or posted before (I could not find via advanced searching). What "tools" are necessary for a weekend travel tour? Other than the BRP tool set supplied with the RT, are there other useful tools and for what purpose(s)?
    Disclosure... I am new to cycling and just purchased my Spyder this year.
    Thanks!
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Limited - Lava Bronze
    - Baja Ron Sway Bar - SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner - Air Modification Kit - Motorcycle Dave's gel seat inserts
    - Rivco Floorboards - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - Bad Boy Wolo Air Horn
    - FZ-1 Fuzeblock - Hopnel Lid Nets - Monster Graphics

Spyder Garage

Default Bikers Friend

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Check out a Biker's Friend, it's a round, end load, bag that goes on the seat behind you...with a built in backrest. Only problem with it, you've gotta take it off to refuel unless you've got a gas door.

john
    We have one, but also the value accessories trunk rack and it works great there, since we ride 2 up the wife isn't willing to be bungied to the rack! Looking into compression sacks to put what we carried in 2 bags into one. For longer trips when we will be gone for a week or more and camping along the way we will have a trailer.
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) cohoff's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RT and I love my Ortlieb waterproof rack packs. I have used them for 2 riding seasons, through downpours, and all contents have remained dry. I like the fact that it has a wide opening at the top and i can see/access everything inside the bag.....unlike other roll bags where you have to unpack to get to the bottom. I have two sizes, medium (31L) and the large (49L). i use the medium for trips less than a week and the large for longer trips. More than ample room. I attach them to my passenger grab handles with Rok Straps.

https://www.bikebagshop.com/ortlieb-...QmKxoCIODw_wcB
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AZCACOIDILINIAKSKYMDMIMNMOMTNENVNMNCOHORPASDTNUTVA  WAWVWIWYmed.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Upstater View Post
    Forgive me if this has been asked or posted before (I could not find via advanced searching). What "tools" are necessary for a weekend travel tour? Other than the BRP tool set supplied with the RT, are there other useful tools and for what purpose(s)?
    Disclosure... I am new to cycling and just purchased my Spyder this year.
    Thanks!
    I added a small set of Vise Grips, and adjustable wrench, and some appropriately-sized Torx wrenches to the BRP kit.
    That, a tire patch kit, and a portable air compressor: I'm good to go!
    :
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I added a small set of Vise Grips, and adjustable wrench, and some appropriately-sized Torx wrenches to the BRP kit.
    That, a tire patch kit, and a portable air compressor: I'm good to go!
    :
    Thanks, Bob. That makes sense and these are easy enough to add. I carry a tire patch/plug kit and mini compressor in every vehicle I own. When it's needed, it can be very handy.
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Limited - Lava Bronze
    - Baja Ron Sway Bar - SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner - Air Modification Kit - Motorcycle Dave's gel seat inserts
    - Rivco Floorboards - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - Bad Boy Wolo Air Horn
    - FZ-1 Fuzeblock - Hopnel Lid Nets - Monster Graphics

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Us "UpStaters", have to stick together!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I thought I would, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Since the Alaska trip, I've cut down my packing list . . A LOT. I'm thinking of doing my next trip without my trailer and carrying on my back seat all the stuff I'd take into a hotel. The RT frunk, trunk and sidebags would contain riding gear and stuff I may need while on the road.

So my question for you all is if you travel without a trailer, and use a bag on the backseat, what kind of bag do you use? I know my airline carry-on bag will fit. I'm also looking at a First Gear dry bag, since it's waterproof. It's also cheaper than buying motorcycle luggage.

Any thoughts?

Yeah, right!

As I'm packing for SpyderQuest, I thought I'd try to pack and not use my trailer. I don't think that's going to work. I'm so used to taking it and everything I want (and more), I just know this isn't the trip to see if I can do it.

Maybe next trip.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have never pulled a trailer....either weekend or 12 week trips......try these sites out...... www.kuryakyn.com has several options.....I use a Goldwing back rack bag that has a waterproof cover...holds a lot......also have www.saddlemen.com that connect to my backrest...with waterproof cover
    Last edited by flamingobabe; 09-06-2015 at 11:28 AM.

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post
    I have never pulled a trailer....either weekend or 12 week trips......try these sites out...... www.kuryakyn.com has several options.....I use a Goldwing back rack bag that has a waterproof cover...holds a lot......also have www.saddlemen.com that connect to my backrest...with waterproof cover
    You're tiny so your stuff doesn't take up much space.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by cohoff View Post
    I have a 2014 RT and I love my Ortlieb waterproof rack packs. I have used them for 2 riding seasons, through downpours, and all contents have remained dry. I like the fact that it has a wide opening at the top and i can see/access everything inside the bag.....unlike other roll bags where you have to unpack to get to the bottom. I have two sizes, medium (31L) and the large (49L). i use the medium for trips less than a week and the large for longer trips. More than ample room. I attach them to my passenger grab handles with Rok Straps.

https://www.bikebagshop.com/ortlieb-...QmKxoCIODw_wcB
    That's my choice too. Did a 6000 mile trip last July (on a BMW R1200GSA) and used exactly this combination for my "take-to-the-room" stuff.
    Side cases were reserved for tire plug kit; air compressor; a quart of oil; cleaning stuff (Plexus and microfibre rags); rain gear; gloves/heated jacket liner; etc.
    But the combo that works for you is the one you'll be comfortable with...a little trial & error got me to this combo.
    jb

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I'm on my way to Spyder-Palooza with all my "hotel" stuff in my airline carry-on suitcase. I'll see if this will work, and if it does, I'll look for some more appropriate luggage.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Orlib duffle bag, yellow, water proof, 10 years old. Carry a weeks stuff and shiving kit. Straps on to side handles on my RS-S.
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

Is the shiving kit in case you spend a couple of nights in the pokey???
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5