Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Are electronics a weak link?
    Or just an (overly) aggressive control of the systems?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

You are in the library. If it's not a problem, then why did they detune it after release? Why did they lower it to under 106hp just recently? Why not just bump the 990 to the 115hp the 1330 has? Why not give it 1125 parts?
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Are electronics a weak link?
    Or just an (overly) aggressive control of the systems?
    Good point. I wouldn't say these machines have a true weak link, more just a bunch of nuisances. Overall, they are pretty reliable, especially when taking all of the components into consideration.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're reliable; right up until you start trying to "improve" them with some backyard Wizardry...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AMTJIM View Post
    You are in the library. If it's not a problem, then why did they detune it after release? Why did they lower it to under 106hp just recently? Why not just bump the 990 to the 115hp the 1330 has? Why not give it 1125 parts?
    They detuned it because of the platform it was going in. Remember, the spyder was pretty much the first of it's kind, unchartered water so to speak. They didn't want to throw to much power at it right out of the gate. This has been BRP's MO for years. They did it with the skis too. At first release they are conservative and typically build from there.

The 106 to 100 change had more to do with standardizing the platform from RS, RT, and ST. The 100hp 991's have more torque that comes on at lower rpm's that was setup to carry around the heavier RT at a more even rev for the old timers. Over the years the RS has become heavier. (remember, most spyder peeps are "older" and like a more driveable linear rev band).
    Also, most everyone is transitioning over to the DBW setups. So, BRP went to this as they already had that existing setup. It was not detuned to keep things from breaking. These motors may burn oil, leak coolant, run hot, get poor fuel economy, catch on fire, and cook clutches and their riders, but you don't read about to many of them that have actually failed due to a weak crank/engine or trans components. Even when bored out running a race 1102 AF1 setup with a lot of hard track time on a stock bottom end.

The 1330 motor change is simply the change of the times. While the 998 is a great motor, it's an aging platform. It's been around since what? 1998??. While, it has been a VERY stout platform for the last 17 years. It's known for being a hot running motor and not having the best of fuel efficiency. <<<<-----Everything spyder peeps complain about. That would be even worse if you bump up the hp or go with a bigger bore. Soooo.....In comes the new designed 1330 ACE that is able to provide the increased power while also providing less heat and better fuel efficiency, all at tractor low revs.
    Remember, most spyder folks are OLD...lol. They love their tractor low revs and fuel economy. .
    BRP is transitioning a lot of their platforms to ACE. It's the BRP wave of the future.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wow... I can't find anything in there to argue about.
    Drew,
    If we're agreeing this much; there's GOT to be trouble brewing somewhere!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Wow... I can't find anything in there to argue about.
    Drew,
    If we're agreeing this much; there's GOT to be trouble brewing somewhere!
    Where's Mike?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Curiously; he's be quiet...
    I'll PM you what I know.

Spyder Garage

That sounds like the sales pitch, not the reason. Spyder detune after release. Simple bump back to 115. Not sure about the aging wave of the future thing, but I'll let KTM, EBR and Ducati know...I know, I know April, but you gotta listen to daddy Rotax.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black