Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle Lift - Shout Out to Chupaca

I want to give a "Thumbs UP" to Gene DeLaney (Chupaca), for the MANY times he has posted a picture of the motorcycle lift he uses, purchased at Harbor Freight. I finally got tired of kneeling on my knees on the hard garage floor, every time I wanted to work on my Spyder, so a couple of months ago, I broke down and went to Harbor Freight, and bought one of these things. I love it. Now, most things I do, I can do sitting on a stool beside the Spyder.

A few weeks ago, I used it to install TricLED's Daytime Running Lights on my front A-frames. Today I used it to install a 2014 RT RH grill and block-off cover on my 2013 RT, to cut down on on some additional post-recall right foot heat. Thanks to Gene, my life is a little easier, and I enjoy working on my Spyder more.

Harbor Freight sells two of these things. Both have a 1500 lb. capacity. This is the one I got, which is usually on sale for just $89.99. I got this one because it fit in my small garage better. (Gene actually has one that's a bit better than this one.)

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-31-2015 at 10:30 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Default Your welcome...

only trying to help cause I know it makes so many things easier. I have not tried that model but it looks like a nice double lift system. Hand or foot pump or is the foot pedal the lowering..? Glad your up off the floor...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    only trying to help cause I know it makes so many things easier. I have not tried that model but it looks like a nice double lift system. Hand or foot pump or is the foot pedal the lowering..? Glad your up off the floor...
    It's hard to see in the picture, but there are actually two foot pedals. The larger one pumps it up. The smaller lower one, lets it go down. The handle only serves as a way to lug it around. If you check the picture closely, you can see that it also has a 3-position safety catch. I always lower it down onto the safety bar set in the highest position. That way you actually have to pump it up more before you can release the safety and lower it back to the ground.
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-31-2015 at 08:38 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Part numbers for each would be helpful.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldguyinCT View Post
    Part numbers for each would be helpful.
    Item numbers with links may be even more helpful: 60536 and 60636
    Last edited by robmorg; 08-31-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

That's a nice lift. I have the same one

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

I have the same one but mine is the yellow one. Work like a charm.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by M109Dreamer; 09-01-2015 at 12:17 AM.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Where can you get one of those Jacks from? Just bought a 2012 RT SM5 with 3700 miles,I want to use Amsoil,anybody had any experience using that Oil?
    would it be best if I did it right now correct or can I wait another 3k witch I won't do this riding season do to living in Maine. I have so many questions about the Spyder that you can only get answers from other riders,I went from a Harley because my Knees are going bad and it hurt my Knees hold it up with a rider,this Spyder is so much different,but I think I have the riding down pretty good after about three hundred miles,this Bike is soooo cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Anyone know of any Spyder rider groups in Maine?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by forgiven1823 View Post
    Where can you get one of those Jacks from? Just bought a 2012 RT SM5 with 3700 miles,I want to use Amsoil,anybody had any experience using that Oil?
    would it be best if I did it right now correct or can I wait another 3k witch I won't do this riding season do to living in Maine. I have so many questions about the Spyder that you can only get answers from other riders,I went from a Harley because my Knees are going bad and it hurt my Knees hold it up with a rider,this Spyder is so much different,but I think I have the riding down pretty good after about three hundred miles,this Bike is soooo cool.

Harbor Freight sells them. So does Sears. Quite a few Spyderlovers have switched to Amsoil. I am going to on my next oil change. Check with BajaRon (sponsor) on oil change kits. He will take the guess work out of you need and can give you a quote on the oil.
    I got off of a Harley for the same reason and have not looked back.
    And Welcome to Spyderlovers. If you have questions, someone has the answers.

Spyder Garage

I bought the yellow jack from sears after struggling with a conventional floor jack for the first oil change. I wish I had bought one right away, don't wait if you're thinking about getting one.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Default Any modification to the lift?

If not, where do you place the lift on the Spyder to raise it?
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNDawg View Post
    where do you place the lift on the Spyder to raise it?
    With this kind of motorcycle/ATV lift, you lift the Spyder by going under from the side and placing both jack risers squarely under the bottom center frame rail. (see the picture of the RT frame below. The RS and ST are similar.) This frame rail begins right behind the rear A-frame attachment point for the front suspension. You cannot lift forward of the A-frame because you'd be under the frunk area where there is no frame. If you go too far aft, you run into the swing arm for the rear suspension. (Unfortunately, I'm not familiar enough with the F3 frame to offer advise on that, but a post in the F3 forum section would get you an answer, I'm sure.) You can lift it from either the right or left side.

On the RT, if you center the jack against the floor board, you've got it in the right place. On RT's without floor boards, you can line up the rear-most jack pad with the driver foot peg. (On the RS, the rear-most jack pad would be slightly forward of the driver foot peg. See Gene's picture in the link in the first post above.) Obviously, you don't want to work under the Spyder unless you also use jack stands.

Here are some other threads that contain more information.... here, here, and here.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-01-2015 at 05:13 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Default I've got the same Jack...

I've got the same Jack from Harbor Freight and it works like a champ! Just had to remove the rubber pads 'cuz it was 1/4 inch too high and wouldn't slide under. Do know where you have your "Ground effects Lighting" on the frame before you use these!
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

How many jack stands does a person use with the lift? I am looking at these. Are the 3 ton stands adequate or the 6 ton ones? Thank you!
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    How many jack stands does a person use with the lift? I am looking at these. Are the 3 ton stands adequate or the 6 ton ones? Thank you!
    I use two 2 ton stands. The whole machine only weighs 1,000 lb. so you don't need to go overboard. I have pads that go on them so they won't scratch and put them under the A arms right up against the wheel. On the back I stack three 6x6, each one is about one foot long, under the shock mount.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Default '09

got mine in '09..... works gr8....
    dp

Spyder Garage

Default ROBMORG

Thanks for the post. Good info.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Default As has been stated before...

Quote Originally Posted by Bensonoid View Post
    I use two 2 ton stands. The whole machine only weighs 1,000 lb. so you don't need to go overboard. I have pads that go on them so they won't scratch and put them under the A arms right up against the wheel. On the back I stack three 6x6, each one is about one foot long, under the shock mount.
    Just in case....Damage can occur if you put the weight of the tryke on those points. I do use jack-stands and wood blocks as well, but have them positioned so it's just resting slightly for stability in case the lift fails.
    Last edited by NorCalBud; 09-02-2015 at 11:56 AM.
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=robmorg;1030443]I want to give a "Thumbs UP" to Gene DeLaney (Chupaca), for the MANY times he has posted a picture of the motorcycle lift he uses, purchased at Harbor Freight. I finally got tired of kneeling on my knees on the hard garage floor, every time I wanted to work on my Spyder, so a couple of months ago, I broke down and went to Harbor Freight, and bought one of these things. I love it. Now, most things I do, I can do sitting on a stool beside the Spyder.

A few weeks ago, I used it to install TricLED's Daytime Running Lights on my front A-frames. Today I used it to install a 2014 RT RH grill and block-off cover on my 2013 RT, to cut down on on some additional post-recall right foot heat. Thanks to Gene, my life is a little easier, and I enjoy working on my Spyder more.

Harbor Freight sells two of these things. Both have a 1500 lb. capacity. This is the one I got, which is usually on sale for just $89.99. I got this one because it fit in my small garage better. (Gene actually has one that's a bit better than this one.
    [/QUOTWould this work on a 2014 or later RT with floorboards? I ask because the square frame surrounding the bottle jack prevented me from sliding the jack in far enough when I had a 2010 RT with Seal floorboards.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    Would this work on a 2014 or later RT with floorboards? I ask because the square frame surrounding the bottle jack prevented me from sliding the jack in far enough when I had a 2010 RT with Seal floorboards.
    It works fine on my 2013 RT Limited. When fully retracted, the lift easily rolls underneath the Spyder, right under the floor board. I would imagine the same would be true of the 2014/2015 because although my 2013 RT has a 998 engine, it has the same frame as the newer ones. Perhaps someone with a newer RT will confirm.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default JACK STANDS

Laura 1 ton = 2000 lbs ......the RT weighs approx. 1100 lbs.........I think you get the picture HEHE ..Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBud View Post
    Just in case....Damage can occur if you put the weight of the tryke on those points. I do use jack-stands and wood blocks as well, but have them positioned so it's just resting slightly for stability in case the lift fails.
    I always search for answers first so when I wanted to know where to support my spyder so that all wheels were suspended I landed on Lamonsters post and went with his suggestion. When I do an oil change I want to check tire press. wheel bearings, A arm play, tie rod ends, belt tension, and on and on. The best way to do that all at once is to have the spyder suspended. That point on the lower A arm had better be able to absorb way more force than me gently lowering it onto a padded jack stand or we are all doomed.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Laura 1 ton = 2000 lbs ......the RT weighs approx. 1100 lbs.........I think you get the picture HEHE ..Mike
    I have a 3 ton floor jack, well go figure the thing could not lift 2 tons and it failed. Almost caused the death of one of my workers! We pulled him out by the legs just on time. So reason why I ask, I feel like they are rated to more than they can handle especially if from China! Just hard to trust stuff after that experience. Bought the 3 ton floor jack at Autozone, and they replaced it, but I still have the same jack, which I don't trust now. hehe. Going to spring for the Craftsman lift I think that is on sale now.....looks good to me. Plus the 3 ton stands (they only have 3 and 6 ton ones at Harbor Frieght online) but I need to see what the Craftsman ones go for, I can get the 2 ton ones there! haha. if they have them!
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default HYDRAULIC JACKS

I have a 3 ton floor jack, well go figure the thing could not lift 2 tons and it failed. Almost caused the death of one of my workers! We pulled him out by the legs just on time. So reason why I ask, I feel like they are rated to more than they can handle especially if from China! Just hard to trust stuff after that experience. Bought the 3 ton floor jack at Autozone, and they replaced it, but I still have the same jack, which I don't trust now. hehe. Going to spring for the Craftsman lift I think that is on sale now.....looks good to me. Plus the 3 ton stands (they only have 3 and 6 ton ones at Harbor Frieght online) but I need to see what the Craftsman ones go for, I can get the 2 ton ones there! haha. if they have them!
    Sometimes they leak and will not hold pressure......this is a relative easy fix.........Not saying the JACK wasn't defective ........But was it a NEW jack ??????..........Mike