Spyder Garage

Default Antenna Missing? Snapped off?

Arrived in the Adirondacks on a weekend trip and while unpacking the 2014 RT realized the antenna was missing. Looks like it was snapped clean off near the base. Now, this is not part of my pre-ride check, but I would have noticed if it was not there while packing it up because I am standing right there. Had a great ride and smooth time so cannot believe to snapped off then. Left it alone several times for meals and did not notice it missing when returning but did not look either. Do not use the radio so would not have missed its absence. Any clues or thoughts? Ever happen to anyone else? Going for my 3000 mile severe this week so will check with dealership but thoroughly confused. Would this be covered under warranty?
    Thanks...SpyderWalter

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE ANTENNA

Well according to just about everybody who had to replace the antenna for one or more reasons it is apparently well lock-tighted in, or at least it's supposed to be........ So it didn't un-screw by it-self, and not likely anyone else did it either. Quite a few people have re-placed it one from Walmart.....This is one of the parts that the dealer does when they assemble your Spyder sooooooooooooooooo maybe they didn't do it correctly...............Good luck.........Mike

Very Active Member 2ndChildhood's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had about 2800 miles on my 2015. I was going through Illinois about 70 miles an hour on the freeway and my antenna just blew right off. It came out of the base so I lost the antenna and the boot. I contacted the dealership and they covered it under the warranty.

ToM
    Life is Great
    Be Safe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Life is Great
    ToM

Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

Have seen many posts about the antennas. One common problem was putting on and taking off the covers. Can't remember if was the full, half or both. Some covers are better than others. As for being covered by warranty it will depend on your dealer and how hard he fights for you...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Was cleaning the trunk on my '14 when I brushed the antenna and noticed it wiggle quite a bit. Upon closer inspection I observed that where the fiberglass enters the connector had begun to fray from the constant wiggling the antenna does.

So I broke it off my self, cleaned out the connector, removed a bit of fiberglass from the antenna to get to the wire running up the middle, folded the wire back on the antenna and put the end back in the connector crimping the antenna in place.

Or you can just replace it with a shorty and not have to deal with it again.
    Last edited by 2 Cruysyn; 08-31-2015 at 05:32 AM.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Cruysyn View Post

Shorty? This I have not heard of. Is this a BRP product or after market? I think it would also be nicer looking...
    Do you know the brand?
    Thanks...
    Walter

Spyder Garage

http://www.customdynamics.com/can_am_spyder_antenna.htm

Walter
    The above link will take you to one of our forum sponsor sites and they sell the shorty antenna.

I replaced mine and it works great.
    I sanded off the paint on the end that goes into the bike adapter to be sure and get a clean connection
    Also used blue locktite
    Good luck
    Thump
    Thump

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWalter View Post
    Shorty? This I have not heard of. Is this a BRP product or after market? I think it would also be nicer looking...
    Do you know the brand?
    Thanks...
    Walter
    The shorty that most refer to can be obtained from Wal Mart or similar for about $10.

Back in 2010 or so there were many antennas that were installed without the lock washer and a dab of blue locktite. I lost one in just such a way. Dealer ordered a new one under warranty--installed the proper way and no more problems.

I used a WalMart special in the interim. It worked just fine. Still have it on the shelf--just in case.

The CD antenna is a bit more pricy. There were some complaints with earlier versions rusting out--but have not heard that complaint for a long long time.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Fatcycledaddy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Missing antenna

I just got back from a 4,500 mile trip to Nova Scotia and in the middle of it noticed my antenna and rubber boot was missing. I sent the dealer a text asking him how I could get a replacement at no charge and he told me I couldn't.
    I sent him screen shots of all the antenna issues listed on this site and another Spyder forum, and ask him if the bike was prepped properly before delivery then a $30,000.00 machine would not have parts falling off of it with less than 3,000 miles.
    I received a text back that the parts were on order and would be shipped to me free of charge.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Blue

Spyder Garage

Where I grew up snapping off automobile antennas was a common form of vandalism and although it has never happened to me the thought is frequently in my mind when I leave the Spyder unattended for considerable time.

I do second the caution about installing or removing a cover. Taking my half cover off one morning at Spyderfest a gust of wind caught it and I almost suffered an "aw ." That one experience taught me to have it bundled whenever the antenna is going through the hole.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default OF NO USE TO YOU

But because of all the bad things mentioned about the Antenna thing , I DIY'ed a 40 inch black re-tractable antenna on the right rear near where the OEM was mounted ( PICs are have already been posted )......................Mike ......PS, I'm getting much better reception with this one.

Spyder Garage

Wife lost hers on her 2014 RTS. The whip came out of the base that screws in to the main mount. Dealer would not cover it under warranty. New BRP antenna was $80.00.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    Wife lost hers on her 2014 RTS. The whip came out of the base that screws in to the main mount. Dealer would not cover it under warranty. New BRP antenna was $80.00.
    SHould be around $60 to replace plus shipping. or taxes from your dealer. unless you need other stuff.
    Antenna
    item: 710002740
    qty: 1 @ $57.99
    Last edited by happyspyder2039; 08-31-2015 at 09:00 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default antenna broke

I broke mine putting the cover
    Off and on.
    Radio works fine without it
    Easier to deal with cover....
    Yet is their a way
    To seal off the hole
    Do It Is cosmetically
    Cool?

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Cruysyn View Post
    Was cleaning the trunk on my '14 when I brushed the antenna and noticed it wiggle quite a bit. Upon closer inspection I observed that where the fiberglass enters the connector had begun to fray from the constant wiggling the antenna does.

So I broke it off my self, cleaned out the connector, removed a bit of fiberglass from the antenna to get to the wire running up the middle, folded the wire back on the antenna and put the end back in the connector crimping the antenna in place.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default busted

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderWalter View Post
    Arrived in the Adirondacks on a weekend trip and while unpacking the 2014 RT realized the antenna was missing. Looks like it was snapped clean off near the base. Now, this is not part of my pre-ride check, but I would have noticed if it was not there while packing it up because I am standing right there. Had a great ride and smooth time so cannot believe to snapped off then. Left it alone several times for meals and did not notice it missing when returning but did not look either. Do not use the radio so would not have missed its absence. Any clues or thoughts? Ever happen to anyone else? Going for my 3000 mile severe this week so will check with dealership but thoroughly confused. Would this be covered under warranty?
    Thanks...SpyderWalter
    I have come out of work and found the antenna missing , and another time I came out of a store and the same thing . I think it was sixty bucks to replace with another BEP . the second time I got a shorty. I must be working in a rough neighborhood.

Spyder Garage

After breaking two fiberglass antennas I replaced it with the Walmart rubber antenna. May not look as cool (opinions vary) but it's reception is just as good if not better.
    2014 RT Limited Black Currant, BaJaRon Anti-Sway Bar and Links, Show Chrome Luggage Rack, Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder. More to Come.
    08 Honda Aero - wife's
    14 Kymco - wife's (Hmmmmm...i'm losing bikes)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My 2012 did it at I think 1200 miles. Antenna 'unscrewed' itself and it and the boot were gone. As it was never parked in an uncontrolled area (it went to work and back and work was controlled parking area), I put it down to bad assembly/no locktite. Put on a walmart shorty but the reception wasn't great, went to a genuwine BRP.

I checked the '14 when I got it and that sucker was tight!! Still had a habit of giving it a finger test every once in a while just because.....
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n