Spyder Garage

Default RT-S Sound System MP3 Player

Recently purchased RT-S which came with sound system. In all my years of riding this is the first time I have had music. Options before were in helmet speakers, but I felt that would have been too much of a distraction. With the external speakers its different. With that said, I just purchased my first MP3 player and hooked it up and worked like a charm. Simple SanDisk MP3 player. Now that i got the thing, wondering what you guys do to be able to switch to the next track. Not sure if you can run a long enough cable from the back to the cockpit to have the MP3 player located at your fingertips.

Help the musically challenged spyder rider

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Cool that you found the MP3 cable and are using external music.

Sadly the MP3 is a set and forget. The audio controls on the left grip apparently are not configured for the MP3. Actually, there is no way they could be since the MP3 is simply an audio out type setup. Basically you are connecting external speakers.

The better setup, and yes more $ if purchased new is to use the IPod and its cable. Depending upon the IPod it may or may not require and Apple adapter also.

You may also be able to use an old IPhone for music. But I am not 100% certain on that.

With the IPod, it takes a bit of learning to sort out the left grip control sequence, but it is controllable.

FWIW we never use the radio anymore. The IPod has much better sound quality and no commercials.

For us it was a $150 upgrade. Not inexpensive but used every ride.

PK

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MP-3

I thought the same thing, so I moved my connection to the glove box on the right side.......There is " just enough " OEM cable to do this.....After removing the plug from the trunk it is possible to " carefully " strip the cable from the harness with a very sharp box cutter......I just routed it alongside the frame up to the glove box ,drilled the correct size hole , and re-attached the plug.......I also made a sheet metal clip that I slide into the panel alongside the glove box,( on the outside ) this is for the MP-3 player. It has Velcro on it and so does the MP-3. This way I have some control ......................If you don't like the crappy OEM speakers, I fixed that with four 5 1/4 inch JBL - 2 OHM ones that are incredible ......they cost me $116.00 for all four.......................If you are going to SPYDERQUEST , you can see and hear all this stuff..............Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 08-29-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default I like your blog

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    Recently purchased RT-S which came with sound system. In all my years of riding this is the first time I have had music. Options before were in helmet speakers, but I felt that would have been too much of a distraction. With the external speakers its different. With that said, I just purchased my first MP3 player and hooked it up and worked like a charm. Simple SanDisk MP3 player. Now that i got the thing, wondering what you guys do to be able to switch to the next track. Not sure if you can run a long enough cable from the back to the cockpit to have the MP3 player located at your fingertips.

Willie
    I'm going from an FJR to a 2014 RT-S tomorrow, and have been wondering about audio. I've got an old IPhone 4 that I plan to try. Wish there was support for bluetooth or Android, but I expect to eventually go to bluetooth speakers in the helmet.

I've had some form of audio since 1984 and I think it was initially a car radio, 2 speakers, and I had to turn the volume way up at speed and way down when I rode through traffic.

It will be interesting to see what responses you get from the experts.

I just glanced at the pictures on your blog, but will read everything now. I've been watching imotorsports and wondering if they would really pay the air fare. Looks like they did for you.

-Bill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaBill View Post
    I'm going from an FJR to a 2014 RT-S tomorrow, and have been wondering about audio. I've got an old IPhone 4 that I plan to try. Wish there was support for bluetooth or Android, but I expect to eventually go to bluetooth speakers in the helmet.

I've had some form of audio since 1984 and I think it was initially a car radio, 2 speakers, and I had to turn the volume way up at speed and way down when I rode through traffic.

It will be interesting to see what responses you get from the experts.

I just glanced at the pictures on your blog, but will read everything now. I've been watching imotorsports and wondering if they would really pay the air fare. Looks like they did for you.

-Bill
    I can't say enough about iMotorsports. First class operation, at least for me. They made it easy to buy from them. Appreciate the view on the blog. Been writing it awhile. Mostly motorcycle travels but recently throwing in the cage travels as well.

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Spyder Garage

Ran long cable purchased from amazon through trunk hinge, under the seat & up by handle bars.
    Suction cup holder over speedo.

I just use cord for charge as I connect to radio via a jabra Bluetooth unit with fm output to Spyder radio
    Took 20 minutes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PMK has you on the right track.
    If you use an I-Pod; you pick up a whole lot more functionality in the radio controls...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Yep
    I think if I was still using apple I would do that myself but since I use Samsung phone or tablet for maps music communication etc that's why I just brought it all up front

Mostly it's all about fun isn't it great!
    Riding-music & being (there) in the good place

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    PMK has you on the right track.
    If you use an I-Pod; you pick up a whole lot more functionality in the radio controls...
    Yes it does.

However, moving the MP3 connection to the glove box is cool also, just does not allow left hand grip controls. We do not use audio communication on our Spyder, so volume up, volume down, mute are important to have easy control of.

An MP3 or using a phone via audio output in the glove box should be fine for many people and if you understand electrical stuff, the entire oem harness should still be able to stay as is. Simply needs a parallel patch cable to the glove box.

PK

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default PATCH CABLE

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Yes it does.

However, moving the MP3 connection to the glove box is cool also, just does not allow left hand grip controls. We do not use audio communication on our Spyder, so volume up, volume down, mute are important to have easy control of.

An MP3 or using a phone via audio output in the glove box should be fine for many people and if you understand electrical stuff, the entire oem harness should still be able to stay as is. Simply needs a parallel patch cable to the glove box.

PK
    ....Since I wasn't aware of the PATCH cable I just re-moved the OEM one and sent it up to the glove box...I do have the volume control on the MP-3 and I made a (re-movable) clip so the MP-3 is outside the glovebox so I can change songs etc...........Mike

Spyder Garage

The better setup, and yes more $ if purchased new is to use the IPod and its cable. Depending upon the IPod it may or may not require and Apple adapter also.

You may also be able to use an old IPhone for music. But I am not 100% certain on that.

With the IPod, it takes a bit of learning to sort out the left grip control sequence, but it is controllable.

FWIW we never use the radio anymore. The IPod has much better sound quality and no commercials.

For us it was a $150 upgrade. Not inexpensive but used every ride.

PK

Having just recently purchased a 4th generation iPod, I have a couple questions.

While the unit is plugged in and operating, does the cord also keep the iPod charged? If so, do I need to manually turn off the iPod when I'm done riding?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Having just recently purchased a 4th generation iPod, I have a couple questions.

While the unit is plugged in and operating, does the cord also keep the iPod charged? If so, do I need to manually turn off the iPod when I'm done riding?
    Should charge as you ride.

PK

Spyder Garage

Should charge as you ride.

PK

Thanks. Any idea if I need to power it down?
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Copperman View Post
    Thanks. Any idea if I need to power it down?
    I never even think about it anymore, don't need to turn it on, power it off or anything at all, when I turn the key it is where I left it.....at the same spot on the same song! Works wonderfully.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    I never even think about it anymore, don't need to turn it on, power it off or anything at all, when I turn the key it is where I left it.....at the same spot on the same song! Works wonderfully.

Thanks!
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Agree, the IPod done right is similar to a system in a car. Turn on the key and it plays, turn off and it stops. Music begins where it left off, charges on it's own while riding. Learning the left grip buttons is a bit of effort but not too bad. Mainly it is about how long is a long push vs a short push. Also to select one feature, I forget which one, you have to scroll off the screen to accomplish enter. Pretty wacked but it works.

PK

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default long cable

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post

Willie
    That is just what i did. I have a cheap MP3 Jensen player. I just ran a cable, i bought from best buy about 2-3ft long. I routed it from my trunk under the seat to the glove box or just let it sit between my legs and change the songs or put it in the glove box when i just want to let it play. Works great!!!
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Spyder Garage

I have a 5th generation Ipod. What control functions should I have on the left grip and what buttons correspond to what control. I can get to AUX and can see what is playing and change volume but can't get any other control. 2012 RTS-L
    Last edited by pegasus1300; 09-01-2015 at 07:01 PM.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    I have a 5th generation Ipod. What control functions should I have on the left grip and what buttons correspond to what control. I can get to AUX and can see what is playing and change volume but can't get any other control. 2012 RTS-L
    The first problem is if you're seeing AUX, not iPod. Are you using the BRP cable with the iPod dock connector, or the cable with the mini stereo plug. You must use the iPod cable to have control of the iPod.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)