Spyder Garage

Default 4 Weeks - 1,100 Miles...My Impressions

I picked up a new 2015 RT Limited on July 31. Since then I have about 1,110 miles on it from riding in the Virginia, Maryland, DC, and PA areas. Today I got a laser alignment and drove it home about 100 miles. What a difference. The handling in curves is significantly better. Also, it seems to hold the line better at highway speeds.

It took about a hour for the dealer to complete the alignment. While waiting I sat on a 2015 RT limited in the showroom and "wow"...I realized that some farkles completely change the riding experience. I would say they are:

- Comfort Seat. The seat is comfortable plus the extra 2" back gives you more options to shift your legs while riding.
    - Tr-Axis Handlebars. The ability to change the handlebar position gives flexibility.
    - Bajaron Sway bar and Laser Alignment both greatly enhance the handling.

To be honest if you add those four farkles it changes the RT into a a different type of machine.

What does everyone think?

2015 Can-Am RT Limited Pearl White
    Farkle: Laser alignment, Bararon sway bar, Bump skid with LED, Tri Axis adjustable handlebar, BRP heated comfort seat, Utopia backrest, Kott grills, Tailgunner Black Widow exhaust, BRP adjustable side wind deflectors, and Upper wind deflectors.

Spyder Garage

I have the comfort seat, and sway bar. Bars are a little rich for me, and I will be getting a
    lazer alignment when I change front tires (soon)

For me, I don't want a "different " machine. Just too happy to troll along the way it is.
    DO wish I could have a stable of spyders though, including an F3 and an ST.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are enjoying the ride.

I too was a skeptic about laser alignment--until I had them done on both our machines. The difference says it all.

Ditto on the Comfort seats. We have them on both ours.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Add a back rest

I have a 2013 RT and a Utopia backrest really made a difference on a longer ride. After two hours, it was a little easier to get off at the next gas stop. I agree the alignment and swaybar make a big difference. I had Squared Away do the laser alignment last year, and that did help a lot. The swaybar was done by me about six months before the alignment and the swaybar got rid of the wallowing in the curves and the alignment produced straight tracking. Going down the freeway i got some turbulence on me, but the motorcycle did not get blown around. All good stuff.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had the Comfort Seat w/BRP backrest and Tri-Axis bars put on by the dealer when I picked mine up. Then we squared it away with a Squared Away Laser Alignment and a Baja Ron Sway Bar. With these mods I've ridden 58,500 comfortable miles on my 14 RT
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

You can read my farkles below. I would love the Tri Axis but too much $$$$and the install is a bear. The Ultimate seat with a Utopia backrest is as good as seating gets
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    You can read my farkles below. I would love the Tri Axis but too much $$$$and the install is a bear. The Ultimate seat with a Utopia backrest is as good as seating gets
    The install is a bear but my dealer didn't charge me any install since I had them installed pre-delivery. They are worth every penny though!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bobgeorge View Post
    I picked up a new 2015 RT Limited on July 31. Since then I have about 1,110 miles on it from riding in the Virginia, Maryland, DC, and PA areas. Today I got a laser alignment and drove it home about 100 miles. What a difference. The handling in curves is significantly better. Also, it seems to hold the line better at highway speeds.

It took about a hour for the dealer to complete the alignment. While waiting I sat on a 2015 RT limited in the showroom and "wow"...I realized that some farkles completely change the riding experience. I would say they are:

- Comfort Seat. The seat is comfortable plus the extra 2" back gives you more options to shift your legs while riding.
    - Tr-Axis Handlebars. The ability to change the handlebar position gives flexibility.
    - Bajaron Sway bar and Laser Alignment both greatly enhance the handling.

To be honest if you add those four farkles it changes the RT into a a different type of machine.

What does everyone think?
    The comfort seat and the Tri Axis handlebars are more of a personal choice. Perhaps your body size requires it, but those are not for everyone.

I'm not on board the Laser Alignment train, but I see here that a great many Spyder owners like it. I may give it a try if I can do it without traveling across the country.

I'm glad you are enjoying the comfort seat, Tri Axis Handlebars, and Laser Alignment though.

I would definately agree with you about the BajaRon sway bar. It makes a huge difference in handling.

Enjoy your

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

I know that Can-Am has upgraded some things on the RT suspension over the years. Today, how does the 2015 anti-swaybar diameter compare with the BajaRon anti-swaybar diameter? Does the 2015 RT still have the crappy OEM shocks? For a machine that costs so much, I would think development would mean better suspension pieces.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

" Today I got a laser alignment and drove it home about 100 miles. What a difference. The handling in curves is significantly better. Also, it seems to hold the line better at highway speeds."

Sounds promising to me. I'm getting an RT-S Monday and expect a laser alignment is in my future.

-Bill

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tulefog View Post
    I have a 2013 RT and a Utopia backrest really made a difference on a longer ride. After two hours, it was a little easier to get off at the next gas stop. I agree the alignment and swaybar make a big difference. I had Squared Away do the laser alignment last year, and that did help a lot. The swaybar was done by me about six months before the alignment and the swaybar got rid of the wallowing in the curves and the alignment produced straight tracking. Going down the freeway i got some turbulence on me, but the motorcycle did not get blown around. All good stuff.
    I have the Utopia backrest too. It's nice, but I like the other four farkles better

2015 Can-Am RT Limited Pearl White
    Farkle: Laser alignment, Bararon sway bar, Bump skid with LED, Tri Axis adjustable handlebar, BRP heated comfort seat, Utopia backrest, Kott grills, Tailgunner Black Widow exhaust, BRP adjustable side wind deflectors, and Upper wind deflectors.

Spyder Garage

Default utopia back rest

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I was told the utopia back rest would not work with an ultimate seat: Is that not right? Explain Please THANK YOU>

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by modagwood View Post
    I was told the utopia back rest would not work with an ultimate seat: Is that not right? Explain Please THANK YOU>
    You can buy a post that will adapt it to the Ultimate seat from Ultimate or look in my gallery I adapted a Utopia by cutting the flat stock, grinding the corners off and putting a lock groove in it. I have 2 now 1 ultimate 1 utopia and the Utopia is much more comfortable.

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment