Spyder Garage

Default GPS to plan my route.

I am tired of planning a trip, writing down the directions and stopping ever so often to check the directions. I have heard some friends talk about plotting a trip in an online map and loading the route into the GPS.

What kind of GPS should I get to do this that I will not have to spend too much for.

Spyder Garage

Get a Garmin, and download their Basecamp program. It takes some time to get GOOD with it, but it works.

john

Spyder Garage

Default Many Options

Barryj -

A thread about GPS products is almost as bad as oil or tires. I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what I know (or at least THINK I know).

First, do you want to hear the spoken directions from a GPS? In order to do that through the bike's speaker system, there seems to be a pretty complicated and potentially expensive array of cables and installations to "tie in" a GPS to the bike's audio system. The other way to hear the spoken directions is through a bluetooth helmet speaker system (such as Cardo or Sena plus some others). With some GPS models there is also the option of using a cable connection between the GPS and your helmet speaker system.

Brand: I am only familiar with Garmin so that's what I'll talk about. Other brands may be just as good, I simply don't know anything about them. So, looking at Garmin, I decided that I wanted to hear the spoken directions but I didn't want to go through the expense and installation hassle of something that I might use once or twice a year (full time worker, only part time traveler) so tying into the bike audio system was out. I then looked for Garmin GPS models that could send their spoken directions to a helmet speaker system (we use Sena 20S, driver and passenger intercom) via either Bluetooth or by a plug in cable. After asking this question of Garmin, this is the list of units that they said could do what I wanted:

• dezl 770
    • dezlCam
    • nuvi 765
    • nuvi 775
    • nuvi 785
    • zumo 390
    • zumo 550
    • zumo 590
    • zumo 660
    • zumo 665

The nuvi models are all discontinued and are 4.3" screens. The Zumo models are also 4.3" screens and start at about $600 (but they are waterproof and shock resistant). The dezl units are geared toward diesel truck drivers and their software caters to their needs. The dezl 770 is a 7" screen while all others are a 4.3" screen.

So, I didn't want to spend a fortune, didn't want a 4.3" screen and couldn't find any of the discontinued nuvi models (and they are also 4.3"). I also have had cataracts removed in each eye and my reading capabilities need a larger screen.

So, a compromise was needed. I settled for a unit that was large enough to read / see and was not very expensive. Keep in mind, it is NOT water proof, NOT shock resistant and will NOT send spoken directions to my bluetooth helmet speakers (but it does have bluetooth capability for your cell phone when in your car). The Garmin nuvi 2689, $250. 6" screen. I also purchased a sun screen clip on fitting for it (Amazon), a anti glare screen protector and a Ram Mount X-Grip (RAM-HOL-UN10BU) to hold it onto the dash area with a JT's Spyder Store (one of our sponsors) dash mount. It has a 3D mode that is easy to see at a glance and shows my next turn, how far and which way I'll be turning. If it is a congested area, I'm thinking that I may also be able to use my iPhone native program and hear the turn by turn instructions through my Sena headset.

For power, I plug the unit into a cigarette lighter connection that I installed into the left hand speaker grill and wired to an FZ-1 fuse block (could be wired directly to battery or possibly to one of the analog gas or temp gages if you are willing to give them up for the digital versions - search for information on doing that).

And for your specific question, the nuvi 2689LMT (lifetime maps and traffic) has what is called "Trip Planner". This is a built in app that allows you to set up a route with multiple waypoints. You pick the route you want instead of the GPS sending you where it thinks is best. Want to nudge it one way or another? Just add another waypoint. And as the poster before me said, Garmin Basecamp (free software) allows you to program on your computer (it is definitely more robust than Trip Planner and utilizes multliple Waypoints) and download the GPX file to your GPS device. With Trip Planner however you might find that you don't even need Basecamp.
    2015 RT-S SE6 Red Pearl - aka "Ruby"
    Tri-Axis handlebars - Bajaron Sway Bar and Heim Links - Roadster Renovations Spring Stiffeners & Top Case mirror - Value Accessories 3 pc. Lid Net Set - Lidlox Helmet Holders - JT's Dash Mount Bar - Drink2go rider & passenger cupholder - Wolo Bad Boy Horn - Show Chrome Trunk Rack - 12V power & heated gear ports - Spyderpops missing belt guard - BRP Trailer Hitch - Gold Plug hex head drain plugs

Spyder Garage

Default WOW

Quote Originally Posted by pontow View Post
    Barryj -

A thread about GPS products is almost as bad as oil or tires. I'm no expert, but I'll tell you what I know (or at least THINK I know).

First, do you want to hear the spoken directions from a GPS? In order to do that through the bike's speaker system, there seems to be a pretty complicated and potentially expensive array of cables and installations to "tie in" a GPS to the bike's audio system. The other way to hear the spoken directions is through a bluetooth helmet speaker system (such as Cardo or Sena plus some others). With some GPS models there is also the option of using a cable connection between the GPS and your helmet speaker system.

Brand: I am only familiar with Garmin so that's what I'll talk about. Other brands may be just as good, I simply don't know anything about them. So, looking at Garmin, I decided that I wanted to hear the spoken directions but I didn't want to go through the expense and installation hassle of something that I might use once or twice a year (full time worker, only part time traveler) so tying into the bike audio system was out. I then looked for Garmin GPS models that could send their spoken directions to a helmet speaker system (we use Sena 20S, driver and passenger intercom) via either Bluetooth or by a plug in cable. After asking this question of Garmin, this is the list of units that they said could do what I wanted:

• dezl 770
    • dezlCam
    • nuvi 765
    • nuvi 775
    • nuvi 785
    • zumo 390
    • zumo 550
    • zumo 590
    • zumo 660
    • zumo 665

The nuvi models are all discontinued and are 4.3" screens. The Zumo models are also 4.3" screens and start at about $600 (but they are waterproof and shock resistant). The dezl units are geared toward diesel truck drivers and their software caters to their needs. The dezl 770 is a 7" screen while all others are a 4.3" screen.

So, I didn't want to spend a fortune, didn't want a 4.3" screen and couldn't find any of the discontinued nuvi models (and they are also 4.3"). I also have had cataracts removed in each eye and my reading capabilities need a larger screen.

So, a compromise was needed. I settled for a unit that was large enough to read / see and was not very expensive. Keep in mind, it is NOT water proof, NOT shock resistant and will NOT send spoken directions to my bluetooth helmet speakers (but it does have bluetooth capability for your cell phone when in your car). The Garmin nuvi 2689, $250. 6" screen. I also purchased a sun screen clip on fitting for it (Amazon), a anti glare screen protector and a Ram Mount X-Grip (RAM-HOL-UN10BU) to hold it onto the dash area with a JT's Spyder Store (one of our sponsors) dash mount. It has a 3D mode that is easy to see at a glance and shows my next turn, how far and which way I'll be turning. If it is a congested area, I'm thinking that I may also be able to use my iPhone native program and hear the turn by turn instructions through my Sena headset.

For power, I plug the unit into a cigarette lighter connection that I installed into the left hand speaker grill and wired to an FZ-1 fuse block (could be wired directly to battery or possibly to one of the analog gas or temp gages if you are willing to give them up for the digital versions - search for information on doing that).

And for your specific question, the nuvi 2689LMT (lifetime maps and traffic) has what is called "Trip Planner". This is a built in app that allows you to set up a route with multiple waypoints. You pick the route you want instead of the GPS sending you where it thinks is best. Want to nudge it one way or another? Just add another waypoint. And as the poster before me said, Garmin Basecamp (free software) allows you to program on your computer (it is definitely more robust than Trip Planner and utilizes multliple Waypoints) and download the GPX file to your GPS device. With Trip Planner however you might find that you don't even need Basecamp.

Thanks for the detailed analysis, really appreciate it!

Spyder Garage

You can get older Nuvi GPS's on ebay for under $100.

I got the Nuvi 775T (T has traffic info) and as you see is on the list that will BT to your helmet.
    Another thing the 775T has is it can broadcast on a FM radio station! No cable needed then just use a empty radio station on the Spyders radio.

Running the audio cable to tie it into the radio is very easy and not expensive!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Did not find any 775T models on Ebay right now but did find a brand new 785T for $225.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GARMIN-NUVI-...item418d48c160

And here is a 765T for $70

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-nuvi-...item1c583284af

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Default Navigon - Thumbs Up

I've never replied to a GPS thread but thought this would be a good time to chime in.
    I use Navigon exclusively. It doubles as my car GPS, my kids and wife also use it.

It has a motorcycle mode, +/- scenic mode. We use these all the time while also setting the app to avoid road types we don't like to travel on.
    It allows me to plan a route with up to 24 points of interest and save it to the cloud. All I have to do is search for a destination or I can manually enter the address/coordinates.
    I can download just the maps I need at any given time. I have purchased the North American package with includes all of the US and Canada.
    It has "plugins" for Wikipedia, terrain view, live traffic, 3D, city transit, etc.
    With one license purchase we have it installed on 4 smart phones and 2 tablets so no matter what the vehicle, driver, circumstance or device I have my route ready.

If your interested in a comparison of other smartphone/tablet navigation apps here is a link.
    Link to Navigon website.
    If you have any questions about it let me know.
    Last edited by markyodo; 08-29-2015 at 12:32 PM.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I am working my way through learning as much about Garmin Basecamp as possible but it is not, IMO, an intuitive, user friendly program. I have for years though used a program, Ride With GPS, that is a designed for bicyclists. It is very simple to use, has a free version and the capability to export the route you create in .gpx format. If I'm in a pinch I jump out of Basecamp to Ridewithgps.com and take off. The only thing you should remember is to place your direction changes just after the intersection where the change takes place. The program automatically follows the change.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I use a Garmin Nuvi 1450, and I plan all my rides using TYRE. Works great! The Garmin Nuvi is the same one I use for the car, I just move it back and forth. I haven't seen many on this site that use TYRE, but the previous bike site I was on (ST Forums) many members used it and had good luck.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default ZooZ GPS

You can use the waterproof ZooZ ZG_5060 specifically designed for motorcycles with entertainment system.

You can easily plan a route on Google map and upload it directly into the GPS unit (no need to learn a new mapping software).

It uses a very clear and bright LCD screen with a sun shade cradle.

You can see some of the features here http://media.wix.com/ugd/96221a_87f6...c779514292.pdf

For the RT we have a special designed adaptor.
    This message was sent between rides

Spyder Garage

Default iPhone GPS Options

For those of us who use iPhones for our GPSs (which also allows for listening to music though our iPhones), is there a good app that allows route planning? Being able to make changes with an iPad or an iPhone would be ideal (as well as my computer, but I won't have that with me on the road).

It looks like the Garmin Streetpilot might work with BaseCamp, but at $60 for an app with only two and half stars this seems like an expensive way to do this.
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by barryj View Post
    I am tired of planning a trip, writing down the directions and stopping ever so often to check the directions. I have heard some friends talk about plotting a trip in an online map and loading the route into the GPS.

What kind of GPS should I get to do this that I will not have to spend too much for.
    Our Club uses TyreToTravel. its a free program. You tube has some good videos on how to use.
    And its easy once you get the hang f it.

Butch
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark

Very Active Member tofriendscreek's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS to plan my route.

[emoji106] for the route planning program Tyre (TyretoTravel). It is very easy to use with either a Garmin or Tom Tom. The basic program is free, but for just a few dollars the enhanced versions provide more features and utilities.
    I use it to transfer routes to my Zumo 665.

Sent from my little piece of paradise!
    2022 Plasma Red, F3 Limited, Special Series

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    For those of us who use iPhones for our GPSs (which also allows for listening to music though our iPhones), is there a good app that allows route planning? Being able to make changes with an iPad or an iPhone would be ideal (as well as my computer, but I won't have that with me on the road).
    I have this bookmarked but haven't yet used this method of importing routes to Navigon. So far I have been just fine planning and editing routes on my mobile device or tablet.
    http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...inally.874100/
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

I may be just a simpleton but I have a Garmin but I have found that I use my IPhone/map apps and my Bluetooth head set. I can hear the directions. I mount my phone on top of my dash so I can see the route as well as hearing it.

Spyder Garage

Not to be complicated I just add all my destinations as Favorites in my stock (RTL) GPS before my ride and go from destination to destination and let the GPS guide me. I then just enjoy the ride!
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Garmin GPS Mounts

We have a lot of customers that like the Garmin. Check out our blog about mount comparisons. We have mounts for the Spyders and they work great! http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/blog...-a-comparison/

Spyder Garage

Default Liking my Tom Tom Rider so far..

Right now TomTom Rider 5 GPS is on sale online for $300.....all you have to buy extra is the ram piece that bolts to your handlebar ( comes with new bolt and spacer) the rider has the rest of the ram accessories to mount it...it is Bluetooth only, no music capabilities but waterproof and detachable base that is powered...made for a bike......mine is bright enough in sunlight and truly waterproof....the base it clips to is very solid and when snapped in won't vibrate loose on bumps...Have used mine on a couple of trips now and so far feel it was money well spent..