Spyder Garage

Default Spyder went blank

I forgot to hook the 2012 Spyder RSS SE5 to the battery tender Friday night.

I manually rolled my bike out of the garage Sunday morning and parked it in my drive way for 5 minutes. I turned the key and the normal safety information popped on the cluster, then I hit the mode button and kill switch. Then I hit the starter button to start the bike and the cluster screen went blank and the Spyder did not start. It was completely dead.

I then push the bike back in to the garage and hooked the spyder to the tender. i allowed it to charge overnight. When I went out to check this morning (Monday). Still nothing... even though the tender was green. I had to rush to work for a meeting, so I took my car to work.

When I get off work today. I will try to jump it and take the battery to get it checked out at Autozone or Oreillys.

Side note: I'm normally good with hooking the tender up as soon as I park it in the garage, so it charges every night. I already checked the battery terminal connection, fuses, relays and they all seem good.

The thing that scares me is that the bike will not power own. I would think with an overnight charge..there would be enough juice for the cluster to come on. But I think it is the original battery (Yuasa Yuam 7250H YTX24hl) may be toast or the battery tender. And I ride the bike almost everyday (rain, sun, cold, hot).

I went ahead and ordered a Lithium Iron Battery and it should be here by tomorrow.

Has anyone else had this issue? I did a search and noticed people that had battery problems could at least see info on their cluster or get the Spyder to at least attempt to turn over.
    Last edited by Spyda98; 08-24-2015 at 02:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

Bad battery or loose connections.

Spyder Garage

You may find some differences of opinion on this subject.

A battery tender is supposed to maintain a charge not put more into the battery. Putting a tender on the battery after a ride--where the battery got a good charge is fine--it will then maintain the charge for the next go around.

A battery that has lost its oomph, indicates it is not being charged by the charging system, has loose connections, or is just plain going bad. Batteries three years or older are suspect, or can go at any time.

I never put mine on tenders during the riding season. The 2011 sits for four to five days between uses. Always starts on the first punch. The 2015 is a daily ride, so its always ready without any help.

For me, the tenders go on when its the end of the season. The 's have their last 50 mile or so ride, they get topped off with fuel and have some stabil added. They sit from October to March. Always start on the first try.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your failure is totally unrelated to the batter being or not being on the tender. Something failed, likely it was the battery, but could also be a connection that came loose. Did you do a quick once over on the fuses?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

A battery tender is supposed to maintain a charge not put more into the battery. Putting a tender on the battery after a ride--where the battery got a good charge is fine--it will then maintain the charge for the next go around.
    Yep, a tender is not a charger! If the battery gets too low a tender will do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

I never put mine on tenders during the riding season. The 2011 sits for four to five days between uses. Always starts on the first punch. The 2015 is a daily ride, so its always ready without any help.
    Same here no issues. Even went on vacation for 2 weeks and when I got hom battery was totally fine. It dropped all of .2 volts.

If you have to keep your battery on a tender or it dies in a few days, you have some problem!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Your failure is totally unrelated to the batter being or not being on the tender. Something failed, likely it was the battery, but could also be a connection that came loose. Did you do a quick once over on the fuses?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Yes, I checked the fuses and the connection. But I will do it again to double check.

Spyder Garage

Battery died or a bad connection.