Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

MANY good suggestions above. For me, what helped a lot is the Air-Hawk air cushion. I also like to stop frequently and walk and stretch as many have suggested. I think age also plays an important factor. As your bones get older, you're simply not going to feel comfortable doing as many miles/day that you once could, no matter how often you stop and stretch.

Here is a good article on this subject of comfort while riding. Many in this thread have already mentioned some of the suggestions in the article.

https://rideapart.com/articles/stay-...torcycle-rides
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Noise

Just thought I would add my two cents to the great advice already doled out.

I found that when I wear a set of ear plugs I feel far less fatigued when riding longer distances. I had custom made plugs made at a hearing clinic and was amazed at how effective they were in shutting out wind noise and just how much they reduced the fatigue factor.

As for sore body parts, the comments made about seating position, frequent stops, walkabouts are all valid. Each of us have our limits and tolerances, so it is all about finding yours and recognizing at what point it is time to stop and reset your body.

Spyder Garage

A couple of thoughts: First, stretching has been addressed by OP. No, I'm not an OOOM type dude but yoga exercises have helped as I've made more trips around the sun, particularly for an old neck injury as well as other joints and muscles. Second, posture can contribute to fatigue. At Spyderfest I heard a seat vendor say that if you had good posture you didn't need a backrest. YMMV on that and some folks must have one because of certain conditions but it pays to watch it as the miles roll on.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Just thought I would add my two cents to the great advice already doled out.

I found that when I wear a set of ear plugs I feel far less fatigued when riding longer distances. I had custom made plugs made at a hearing clinic and was amazed at how effective they were in shutting out wind noise and just how much they reduced the fatigue factor.

As for sore body parts, the comments made about seating position, frequent stops, walkabouts are all valid. Each of us have our limits and tolerances, so it is all about finding yours and recognizing at what point it is time to stop and reset your body.
    Agree on the earplugs. Much less fatigue with them than without. Will occasionally do short runs without just to hear what the bike is doing. But wear them 95% of the time.

I have also found 55-65 mph to be much less fatiguing and extends gas range significantly. I also see a lot more scenery. But sometimes traffic demands higher speeds.

2015 RT-S
    2015 SE6 RT-S
    Black/Red Special Edition.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Once again I'm late joining this conversation as I was out riding. For me a 5-hour Energy and a box of Hot Tamales and I'm good for 500 or 600 miles.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Once again I'm late joining this conversation as I was out riding. For me a 5-hour Energy and a box of Hot Tamales and I'm good for 500 or 600 miles.
    So thats your secret. Wonder if Katlynn and Geoff had those coming from Utah.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

While traveling to and from SITR I was in so much pain in my seat, especially coming home. I have the AirHawk2 cushion which is highly recommended for ryding, but the problem was what was covering my butt. I forgot to bring my ryding underwear. It DOES make a difference. Do not wear cotton underwear. LD Comfort makes cycle underwear butt its not cheap. Do not wear underwear that has seams or leg holes that will ride up your leg thus causing you to sit on th seams or give you a wedgie. I have never worn bicycle underwear but those people are on narrower and harder seats than us for hours at a time. Has anyone ever used these?

Last edited by Desert Spyder; 08-25-2015 at 05:13 PM.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Don't tell your Hubby this, but you seem like my kind of Lady!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    While traveling to and from SITR I was in so much pain in my seat, especially coming home. I have the AirHawk2 cushion which is highly recommended for ryding, but the problem was what was covering my butt. I forgot to bring my ryding underwear. It DOES make a difference. Do not wear cotton underwear. LD Comfort makes cycle underwear butt its not cheap. Do not wear underwear that has seams or leg holes that will ride up your leg thus causing you to sit on th seams or give you a wedgie. I have never worn bicycle underwear but those people are on narrower and harder seats than us for hours at a time. Has anyone ever used these?

Cycle Gear has some good riding undies called Heat Out and they are pretty reasonably priced
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

we have been traveling for a long time....but after retirement we took off for 8 weeks.....we started traveling only 300-400 miles a day....the first 2 or 3 days of a long trip is the excitement period and you just need to find your happy place...posture, leg position ( you need about 3 different...forward, under you and behind you), seat position... head and neck....then go, go, go....we enjoy and have fun at 300-400 miles...but now and then we'll pull a 500-800 mile day to be somewhere at a certain time.....we hate reservations...setting dates to meet up....this is for us and to have fun.....every year we like to make our big trip....usually around 6 weeks....just ride and be a tourist.....long weekends are hard...we tend to try to put too much into it....the last day of a trip , either 3 days or 3 months...you are headed home...you get tired....just make it end.....Mark always gets grumpy the last couple of days....I know this and just ignore him.....never eat carbs during day...they make you sleepy......eggs...bacon...sausage...salad with meat....we usually only eat breakfast...9am and dinner...when we stop....this riding thing is suppose to be fun....make it fit your life style

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default Tamale update

Wow ! Where is that taco stand. I did 470 miles fri leaving SITR and I still have no feeling in my tamales. Thanks for help at the rally and see you at the end of October. For some more work.
    Pete