Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    if i had the money, and if i had a garage, and if i fit in it, I WOULD HAVE ONE

Me too! The more toys the merrier!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Get used to it Ann...... If you try to keep up with us in the twisties, that's all you will see anyway........

Only playin...... the rear does need a better look.......

If I want to keep up with you in the twisties, I have a supercar for that. When I want to have fun on a bike, I drive my F3.... Really don't see the need for a slingshot that is not good at either one.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get used to it Ann...... If you try to keep up with us in the twisties, that's all you will see anyway........
    Only playin...... the rear does need a better look.......
    It's funny that you say this... I gave one of these convertibles a lesson in cornering at the Rte. 28 traffic circle, that is just West of Kingston, NY
    He plowed in the turns; just like an old John Deere MT!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gman214 View Post
    Saw a red Slingshot downtown tonight during our Nightfall Music Series. My girlfriend now wants me to trade or sell my and buy a Slingshot! Man folks surrounded it taking pictures like it was a celebrity..well I guess it is!!
    as everyone else has suggested, take a test ride (with your woman) and see for yourself. I rode in one two weeks ago and they are very low to the ground, a bit difficult to get into and VERY ROUGH RIDING!! Plus all of the other comments on this site...
    Just my opinion. My 2014 RT Limited is many times a much better and enjoyable machine.
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

...... the rear does need a better look.......
    Warning,

Boring Friday night, gotta pay back with Troll hunting, we lost Joel because of a troll, hey that rhymes

some are more sensitive than others.......Ok back to watching Game Of Thrones

Sweet dreams everybody

Spyder Garage

Default Slingshot

Saw a red Slingshot downtown tonight during our Nightfall Music Series. My girlfriend now wants me to trade or sell my and buy a Slingshot! Man folks surrounded it taking pictures like it was a celebrity..well I guess it is!!
    I rented a slingshot for a day up at Maggie Valley. It was a blast. I did not notice any heat problem. Love the way it corners. Acceleration was great. My plan is to add one to my stable of toys. You only live once.
    2014 Spyder RTS

Tri Axis Handlebars
    Big Bike Trailer Harness
    Rivco Front Bumper (Black)
    Rivco Highway Pegs
    Ultimate Seat
    Garmin GPS
    Trailer Hitch
    Aluma XL Trailer
    Stainless Grill Covers
    Cupholder
    Spring Stiffeners
    Rivco Floorboards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TicketBait View Post
    Warning,

Boring Friday night, gotta pay back with Troll hunting, we lost Joel because of a troll, hey that rhymes

some are more sensitive than others.......Ok back to watching Game Of Thrones

Sweet dreams everybody
    Digging up more trouble!

Spyder Garage

Default Motorcycle type or car???

I'm sorry, but I still don't see how Polaris EVER convinced ANY state government or federal government that this is a motorcycle type vehicle classification. The only similarity is the fact it has 3 wheels.

Polaris gets past ALL the safety standards that are mandatory for car manufactures (all because it only has 3 wheels)... Air bags, impact (crash) studies (ratings), Stricter emission controls systems, tire monitor systems... the list can go on & on & on.

How long till all the BIG auto manufacture remove a wheel to get their CARS cheaper because there is less BS with all the government requirements that there are for automobiles.

As I see it Polaris really lucked out on this otherwise the price would be double for their Slingshot, and would never sell (If they had to meet automotive standard safety / emission stuff).

All I do know is I'm sticking to my Spyder, & my dual sport bike!

Spyder Garage

The new Indian is def a hot bike!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deans BMW View Post
    Interesting comments. It just so happens that there is a brand new Indian/Victory/Slingshot dealership in Chattanooga over near Pandora BMW.

Crockettpowersports.com

Was over there yesterday, I think they are going to be a good customer oriented Dealership. BTW......The new Indians are very nice.
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JAS POWER View Post
    I'm sorry, but I still don't see how Polaris EVER convinced ANY state government or federal government that this is a motorcycle type vehicle classification. The only similarity is the fact it has 3 wheels.

Polaris gets past ALL the safety standards that are mandatory for car manufactures (all because it only has 3 wheels)... Air bags, impact (crash) studies (ratings), Stricter emission controls systems, tire monitor systems... the list can go on & on & on.

How long till all the BIG auto manufacture remove a wheel to get their CARS cheaper because there is less BS with all the government requirements that there are for automobiles.

As I see it Polaris really lucked out on this otherwise the price would be double for their Slingshot, and would never sell (If they had to meet automotive standard safety / emission stuff).

All I do know is I'm sticking to my Spyder, & my dual sport bike!
    It's how thew game is played... They took advantage of the safety standards for motorcycles.
    Smart business move!

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: They took advantage of . . .

And almost all of us do it when we do our taxes.

IMO they played by the rules. I guess it is the rules that some folks don't care for.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    It's how thew game is played... They took advantage of the safety standards for motorcycles.
    Smart business move!

In my opinion gutsy (bold) move, let alone costly in some states as they had legal battles to figure out the classification of the Slingshot. Some states were saying it was a car. You don't straddle a seat, it has a steering wheel, they have a GM engine.

I do agree with your "took advantage" of statement. I Just feel like other auto makers may start taking advantage of this Polaris style vehicle then it may just open up a can of worms.

Spyder Garage

Id never invest in one of those. Its a car. An ugly car with a GM 4 banger. Side by side seating with a steering wheel and car foot controls with a shifter. Thats a car lol. For the same $24k you can buy a pretty nice used convertible that does everything that thing does but better. Its def different though, thats for sure. Idk, just screams i need attention too much for me Hey if it floats your boat then rock it out.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    Id never invest in one of those. Its a car. An ugly car with a GM 4 banger. Side by side seating with a steering wheel and car foot controls with a shifter. Thats a car lol. For the same $24k you can buy a pretty nice used convertible that does everything that thing does but better. Its def different though, thats for sure. Idk, just screams i need attention too much for me Hey if it floats your boat then rock it out.

Spyder Garage

Default Slingshot

See them all the time around here, but they are built here, and factory executives drive them around all the time. Local dealer has at least 6 of them out front.
    David Petrick
    Certified Professional Photographer
    2020 Limited Dark , Magma Red Black

Spyder Garage

Interesting to see this thread come back (2015). Still no dealers here. I like the front end looks, the back end is hideous. Guessing I would have entry/exit problems--a little bit of back problems still going on.

No dealers, so I am safe and okay without a SS. I also see them as a bit of a safety issue in AK. 95% of the vehicles are big trucks and SUV's. One could get run over very quickly.

My .02.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you need a new girlfriend...just sayin'
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I saw one in a color called "Midnight Cherry", a 2017 model. To me it looked great. I did not kike the red or orange or silver ones. Problem is, once I get in I have great difficulty getting our again. Never driven one.

Saving my pennies for a tilting motor works Harley
    Last edited by oldgoat; 07-08-2017 at 04:05 PM.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jerry,
    You're 100% correct: they played by the rules!
    While I'm not that wild about driving around in a three-wheeled convertible: there are some other versions out on the market that DO intrigue me!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RotaxDuramax View Post
    I wanted one, that is until I had a chance to sit in one. Instantly knew it wasn't for me. It's no longer cool to me, and no longer gets my attention.
    I agree. My bum knee and ample belly preclude an easy entrance and exit. If anyone knows a permanent solution to arthritis or weight loss let me know. Otherwise I will stay on my RTL. I can always mount it like The Range Rider did his horse.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We did figure out a way to get in and out of them that is easier...
    1. Face forward, grab the wheel, and step in with your right foot.
    2. Now, bring the left foot on board.
    You are now standing up, with probably both hands on the wheel...
    3. Scoot yourself down into the seat.
    Easy-Peasey!

Getting out is simply the reverse procedure.

If you try to sit down before you've got both legs in the cabin: it seems to be pretty awkward.