Spyder Garage

Default 2 months as a Spyder owner: a few questions for SL

Good Afternoon Spyderlovers,

I'm just now about a 2 month old Spyder owner and my only regret so far is not getting it sooner!

Just got my brand new helmet: Shark Evoline 3 ST today, it's an awesome modular that rotates the chinbar all the way back behind the helmet allowing you to wear it as an open face helmet without having the chin bar acting as a giant airfoil/wing just above your brow.

If you don't mind, a few questions I'd love to hear peoples input on.....

1) ethanol vs no ethanol: how important is this? The dealer recommended no ethanol, yet the owners manual just states premium grade.

2) onboard GPS and radio with speakers vs. Bluetooth helmet com system?

3) how hard is it to add a power outlet to the Spyder, in reach of handlebars.

4) IPS key holder: do many of you have this, and if so do you really leave your key in the bike when you walk away from it?

Thanks in advance!

Wilson
    Last edited by ViperWolf; 08-21-2015 at 01:56 PM.

ViperWolf (work ryde & play ryde)
    2014 ST-S SE5 Cognac

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new .

I will answer a couple of your questions and save the rest for others.

Ethanol vs Non. You will get better performance and mileage with NON. If you can find it. That said, Ethanol is not going to ruin your engine, so I would not worry over something that may be out of your control.

IPS key. My personal opinion--I like the looks. I do not like the idea that the key is sitting in the ignition for someone to activate and drive off. The concept is good--but not all thieves are stupid.
    I would not use one.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

1. I run 83 w/ethanol in my 14 RT Ltd and have over 12K miles on it with never a problem.
    2. I use blue tooth in my helmet for GPS, not for radio.
    3 Adding a power outlet would be easy. I have done it on my other bikes but not my Can Am.
    4.I just have my regular key and I usually let it in, most people don't know how to start it anyway.

Spyder Garage

1st congrats on the 1st 60 days. I too just finished 60 days.
    Run the premium 91 octane, if you can fine non ethanol great if not its ok it wont hurt anything
    I leave my key in all the tine tho I don;t have an IPS. Turning on the key if they can find it is just the beginning. They will wont figure out the rest of the drill.
    Don't know

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

According to BRP; you should worry more about the octane, than you do about the alcohol in the mix...
    (But if you can avoid it: )
    IPS key holder? Why not just drill your key, and save the money?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We use Non ethanol when we can get it. I wouldn't leave my key in the ignition. We use Bluetooth and stream music from our phones. We have our own bikes so the bike to bike is great with the Sena SMH-10's. We bought leather key holders from busch and busch for our keys. We have GPS but don't bluetooth it.

http://www.buschandbusch.bigcartel.com/
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 08-21-2015 at 02:34 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MY ANSWERS IN RED

Quote Originally Posted by ViperWolf View Post

I'm just now about a 2 month old Spyder owner and my only regret so far is not getting it sooner!

Just got my brand new helmet: Shark Evoline 3 ST today, it's an awesome modular that rotates the chinbar all the way back behind the helmet allowing you to wear it as an open face helmet without having the chin bar acting as a giant airfoil/wing just above your brow.

1) ethanol vs no ethanol: how important is this? The dealer recommended no ethanol, yet the owners manual just states premium grade.......I ONLY USE 87 oct. but I do add a very small amount of Startron to negate the ethyl

2) onboard GPS and radio with speakers vs. Bluetooth helmet com system?.. I have a basic RT so I had to add my GPS, not hard to do.....I swapped my OEM speakers for JBL 2ohm models ( 5.25" in rear ) and they are outstanding in every respect.....

3) how hard is it to add a power outlet to the Spyder, in reach of handlebars.....I added two 12v recepticles to my dash....I don't have the gauges so it was easy

4) IPS key holder: do many of you have this, and if so do you really leave your key in the bike when you walk away from it?....I'm an x-leo and leaving your key in your Spyder, well if it's gone are you going to think it was a good idea.....Thieves are on the internet all the time looking for info like this .....Mike

Thanks in advance!

Wilson

Spyder Garage

Default ANSWERS

1) ethanol vs no ethanol: how important is this? The dealer recommended no ethanol, yet the owners manual just states premium grade. NON-E IS BETTER FOR ANY/ALL COMBUSTION ENGINES... 87 OCTANE IS ALL YOU'LL EVER NEED...

2) onboard GPS and radio with speakers vs. Bluetooth helmet com system? iPHONE WITH A BLUE-TOOTH WILL GIVE YOU ALL YOU'LL EVER NEED (I'm repeating myself)... i have the SAMSUNG PHONE WITH THE SCALA G9 AND I'VE DOWNLOADED MAPQUEST AND ALL MY MUSIC AND I RIDE WITH NO REGRETS....

3) how hard is it to add a power outlet to the Spyder, in reach of handlebars. EASY, VERY EASY.... PM ME AND I'LL SEND YOU PIX AND YOU EVEN CALL ME AND I'LL WALK YOU THRU IT....

4) IPS key holder: do many of you have this, and if so do you really leave your key in the bike when you walk away from it? NEVER LEAVE YOUR KEY IN YOUR RIDE, WHETHER IT BE A SPYD3R, CAR, TRUCK, BOAT, AIRPLANE, etc etc etc.... FAR TOO MANY PEOPLE WANT TO DO YOU HARM....

good luck with your new found toy, and ride safely and enjoy.....
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R F3-S

Spyder Garage

Default Two out of three

Quote Originally Posted by ViperWolf View Post

1) ethanol vs no ethanol: how important is this? The dealer recommended no ethanol, yet the owners manual just states premium grade.

2) onboard GPS and radio with speakers vs. Bluetooth helmet com system?

3) how hard is it to add a power outlet to the Spyder, in reach of handlebars.

4) IPS key holder: do many of you have this, and if so do you really leave your key in the bike when you walk away from it?

Thanks in advance!

Wilson
    load real gas app. in your phone and it will direct you to real fuel. Avoid ethanol if you can. GPS Bluetooth through Siena makes me smile. Don't ever walk away IPS or not and leave your key in the vehicle, old cop. Can't answer the power out let but don't see why not. I've installed on both of my spyders RTS and F3

Spyder Garage

1:http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=
    2:Onboard speakers
    3: other threads on this
    4:http://mykeyport.com wrks for me & a spare Ilco x270(non chipped key)in my wallet fyi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bfromla; 08-22-2015 at 11:09 PM. Reason: Pic

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox