Spyder Garage

Default Tell me if I'm nuts!

I think I want a late model RS low mileage to just putter around on. I believe I want a medium tall windshield. I do not favor an aggressive riding posture. Don't plan on spending lots of money on a plaything and manual transmission are what I have owned in the past. Is this doable? What do you think? Reliability is key.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by watebo View Post
    I think I want a late model RS low mileage to just putter around on. I believe I want a medium tall windshield. I do not favor an aggressive riding posture. Don't plan on spending lots of money on a plaything and manual transmission are what I have owned in the past. Is this doable? What do you think? Reliability is key.
    Before jumping in the water I recommend doing a test drive to see if the RS is for you. The riding posture is crotch rocket/aggressive (strike one) unless you make modifications to the handlebars--as in risers 3" or higher. High windshields are easily doable. Many options to choose from. Early RS (2008) are going for $8K. Subsequent years will be higher of course. RS models are not plagued with reliability issues. If you decide to buy you can have the dealer run the VIN. This will give you a complete history of the vehicle.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Your nuts..!!

you said to tell you... it's all in the test ryde. Your can modify an RS to get where you want to be but try the ST as well as the F3...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well.. Okay!

The aggressive seating position of the RS may be a turn-off for you...
    Take a look at the ST instead!
    Here's some ergo pics for your viewing pleasure!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think you're nuts if you think you won't keep spending money on a Spyder!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

She's right...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I got my first RT to putter around town as well - I never thought I'd even take it on the freeway!

Now my problem is how many miles I seem to be able to put on it, and will be "puttering" up an down the California coast for two weeks in September.

Whichever model you choose, SIT ON THE DAMN THING, and test ride it if possible. I had no idea how much difference there was between my RT (which I find very comfortable) and an RS (that I don't like the body position of at all).
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Spyder Garage

Y'all need to go on a test ride.
    I am 5'11", 205lbs, and I'm old enough to remember 1946, and I thoroughly enjoy my RSS. I have ridden it from Asheville, NC to Wytheville, VA on 221 and from Wytheville to Harrisonburg, VA on the interstate, stopping only for pee breaks and lunch. And I'm still around to tell the tale. Just sayin'...........

Spyder Garage

You could always add bar risers.
    In the twisties I was playing the tart...
    2009 GS SM5 , Red/Black

Spyder Garage

Default Inexpensive ?

Look at a 2008-9 gs, with manual clutch. They're pretty affordable these days, and have always been dependable. You may find one that already has what you want.
    Post on the for sale board for a taller windshield, many people buy 2or 3 before they settle on one.
    Risers aren't too costly. Easy risers are 129 ish, dog bone risers are VERY cheap.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree that you have to get on one. Everyone around here will compare the RS to a sportbike riding position but in reality it's not even close to that position. While it is the most aggressive position in the spyder linup, it's more in line with a big sport touring bike like the BMW k1200gt or the Honda st1300. In reality, assuming you don't have limited mobility, it is a very comfortable riding position.
    Not that the others are bad , but as for reliabilty, the RS/GS is going to be the most reliable of the group due to having less electronics and gadgets, especially the manual shift version. They really are very time tested and bullet proof.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 08-22-2015 at 04:53 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've owned many sportbikes and sport touring bikes, the RS position is not remotely near "crotch rocket" aggressive. It's more like a VFR, or the aforementioned BMW touring bikes. That said, the ST is going to be close to what you are looking for. Go sit on one. Better yet, TEST RIDE ONE! You'll be hooked!
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

Default Not for the faint of heart....

My used 2008 GS w/ manual transmission was received with 6600 miles 2 yrs. ago July 5th (21500 as this evening) set up as Factory Blah. Maintenance has been an issue do to lack of records and the work not being completed by previous owner. Tires, alignment, brake flush/fluid, radiator flush/fill, battery, Parking brake repair, oil change, oil change, oil change, head gasket, oil change, & should I mention that the shop gets $85/hr. and is 30 miles away ?

The not spending a lot on plaything is a nice sentiment but realistic ???

Personally installed a Mastad Windshield to have the ability to adjust airflow I'm 5'8" was was getting pounded by the stock windshield now I can have more or less wind by adjusting height/tilt of the windshield, road pegs to let me stretch every so often.... drink holder, spyderizer (http://www.mycupholder.com/zzz.html), license plate cover, steering wheel fill ins, yellow air caps for tires, Spyderpops heat shield system/air dam, two friends (spider decals) and their home (a web decal on the back fender). Battery Tender extension with a wire running to frunk with a usb port to power up the cell phone, bluetooth headphones to receive Gps/music while ryding.
    I'm still pondering a new seat and trailer hitch, (need to transport golf clubs). Farkles happen.....
    and how has the experience been???

Priceless.... ryde on ......
    '
    Last edited by cybrj; 08-25-2015 at 03:00 AM.

Spyder Garage

Purchased a used 08 GS with 2400 miles for 8K last July. I have just over 7k now.
    Never test rode a Spyder.
    I am 50 yrs old, riding dirt and street for 40 yrs.
    I am 6'1", 215lb.
    I love my GS.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cybrj View Post
    My used 2008 GS w/ manual transmission was received with 6600 miles 2 yrs. ago July 5th (21500 as this evening) set up as Factory Blah. Maintenance has been an issue do to lack of records and the work not being completed by previous owner. Tires, alignment, brake flush/fluid, radiator flush/fill, battery, Parking brake repair, oil change, oil change, oil change, head gasket, oil change, & should I mention that the shop gets $85/hr. and is 30 miles away ?

The not spending a lot on plaything is a nice sentiment but realistic ???

Personally installed a Mastad Windshield to have the ability to adjust airflow I'm 5'8" was was getting pounded by the stock windshield now I can have more or less wind by adjusting height/tilt of the windshield, road pegs to let me stretch every so often.... drink holder, spyderizer (http://www.mycupholder.com/zzz.html), license plate cover, steering wheel fill ins, yellow air caps for tires, Spyderpops heat shield system/air dam, two friends (spider decals) and their home (a web decal on the back fender). Battery Tender extension with a wire running to frunk with a usb port to power up the cell phone, bluetooth headphones to receive Gps/music while ryding.
    I'm still pondering a new seat and trailer hitch, (need to transport golf clubs). Farkles happen.....
    and how has the experience been???

Priceless.... ryde on ......
    '
    What kind of drink holder did you use and where did you put it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Default YUP

YUP YOUR NUTS! As long as you enjoy it . Your mood will change as you enjoy it more. Doubt aggressive riding will happen go more for comfort, long rides will follow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by asp125 View Post
    I've owned many sportbikes and sport touring bikes, the RS position is not remotely near "crotch rocket" aggressive. It's more like a VFR, or the aforementioned BMW touring bikes. That said, the ST is going to be close to what you are looking for. Go sit on one. Better yet, TEST RIDE ONE! You'll be hooked!
    I'm sure glad you said that it is just what I was thinking anyone says it is crochrocket seating sure has never rode a gsxr or ninga the rs is so much more simple than the other models there is a lot less to go wrong , everyone always thinks that the riding position that is most comfortable is the easy chair pose but what happens with a little forward lean is that you chest cups the wind and lifts you slytley and takes weight off your hands and rear it is also more of a ready to react to the road than the lazy boy mode
    2 happy happy spyders